dozens of students seated in Geneen Auditorium with eyes on the on-stage presenter; how to stay ahead in an executive MBA program How to Stay Ahead in an Executive MBA Program February 5, 2020 - - Working a full-time job, working with your team, managing personal responsibilities, and getting an MBA at the same time is not for the weak-hearted. It takes grit and resilience to get through an executive MBA program—but the right mechanisms, habits, and tools are the key differentiators between success and failure.
15 students pose in front of an Alicorp sign with Alicorp swag bags in hand; start an MBA Why I Chose to Start an MBA October 8, 2019 - - Why do an MBA? What's in it for me? What can I get out of it? These were questions I asked myself before I started the Global Executive MBA program at Fuqua in 2017
Christina at an outdoor table with laptop working on distance learning assignments Tips for Success During Distance Learning Periods September 23, 2019 - - For two weeks every quarter, Global Executive MBA students jet off to an international location and learn. But what about those remaining 10 weeks a quarter when we are learning from our respective homes
the dozens of students that make up the global executive MBA class pose for a group photo on a set of stairs in the JB Duke Hotel, A Thank You Letter to the Program A Thank You Letter to the Program July 29, 2019 - - Dear Global Executive MBA Program: Now that I'm a few months past graduation and have had some time to reflect, I wanted to take a few minutes to express my gratitude and heartfelt appreciation for everything you’ve done for me
Jamie, his wife and two small kids posing for a family portrait; family life How To Survive Family Life During an EMBA June 18, 2019 - - Any EMBA program will put a strain on your family and relationship with your partner. But is it possible to mitigate the strain, and is it worth it
five members of the career management center chat around a conference table How Our Career Management Center Works with Students May 8, 2019 - - In the Career Management Center (CMC), we know that each student’s career journey is different, including the reasons that led to the selection of the Global Executive MBA program. Therefore we offer a variety of career-related programs and services
dozens of students pose alongside bikes that were built during a team building exercise, international student Lessons I’ve Learned as an International Student March 29, 2019 - - I’ve always wanted to push my limits and stretch my boundaries while staying true to my values. Fuqua turned out to be a perfect platform for me to do just that
the entire class in business attire in the JB Duke Hotel lounge for a group photo; key learnings 3 Key Learnings from the Program February 19, 2019 - - As my MBA journey recently came to a close, I got to reflect on my time with Fuqua. After traveling in four different continents with my cohort of more than 110 classmates, I continue to feel convinced that the experience has been a transformational one for both my personal and professional growth
five students pointing at a team room computer screen during the first term residency 4 Things to Know Before Starting the First Term January 18, 2019 - - After months of waiting, chatting with future classmates via Slack, and MBA Math-ing to prepare for the coursework, beginning of the first term finally arrived! Orientation and the first residency in Durham was a remarkable...
the four students that made up Steve's consulting team My FCCP Experience: Consulting, Leadership, Teamwork, and Helping Children October 12, 2018 - - The Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP), a hallmark program at our business school, is an experiential learning opportunity where students work on a team to solve a real-world problem with a client. Being a firm believer of the “learn by doing” principle, I applied for the program as soon as the application went live
6 classmates around a restaurant table, next step in my career How the Duke MBA is Preparing Me for the Next Step in My Career October 2, 2018 - - Why go back to earn an MBA? Why now? Why Fuqua? These are some of the questions I received when deciding to pursue an MBA midway through my career. I have experienced professional...
A screenshot from the WebEx we used to collaborate during case competitions Are MBA Case Competitions For You? June 8, 2018 - - Admittedly, consulting is a popular and well-explored career in business schools. Experience in consulting can be powerful: you gain multi-disciplinary and cross-functional exposure while working on strategic C-suite problems in various industries. So how do you know if the consulting track is for you? Well, for one, try a case competition
six students seated around a table, collaborating on work embodies the answer to "What is Team Fuqua?" What is Team Fuqua? April 9, 2018 - - Team Fuqua. It’s a term you constantly hear in our community. Ask for a definition and a hundred people will tell you a hundred stories to illustrate what it means to them. Synthesizing...
Students around a dining table, things I learned in my MBA program 10 Things I Learned in the Program February 15, 2018 - - Choosing to pursue an MBA is a life-altering decision. It usually involves spending quite some time looking at a program’s coursework, class size and composition, and school ranking among many other things
students posing in front of the Bund in Shanghai, during a day in the life of a Global Executive MBA student A Day in the Life of a Global Executive MBA January 5, 2018 - - As part of the residency for our fourth term, my Global Executive MBA (GEMBA) classmates and I were in Shanghai. I wanted to provide insights on life in the program, so here are some...
a dozen members of the cigar club, great company and conversations Great Company and Conversations in the Cigar Club December 18, 2017 - - The Duke Cigar Club, established by our class in late 2016, was one of Duke’s formally recognized “non-essential” academic clubs. It was certainly the indulgent and extravagant type
your MBA cohort makes everything click...classmates having dinner and beers on a patio Your MBA Cohort Makes Everything Click November 20, 2017 - - Before starting the Global Executive MBA (GEMBA) program, the recurring advice I received was that much of your experience would be about the cohort and the network you build. This seemed it would...
Members of the Social Impact Club Club Spotlight: Social Impact November 15, 2017 - - Professional clubs in the program provide students with the opportunity to gain academic and industry knowledge in addition to career management skills around a particular professional area. These professional clubs are managed by students and supported by the Executive MBA programs staff and Career Management Center
100 MBA students gathered at HSM Bootcamp Gaining a Unique Health Care Perspective at HSM Bootcamp November 15, 2017 - - Every year, the Duke Health Sector Management (HSM) program hosts Bootcamp, a week-long intensive course for Daytime and Executive MBA students. During this week, current and future health care leaders receive a comprehensive overview of the industry, from providers to insurers, to medical devices to innovation and venture capital
Dan-McCleary-in-Office-Original-resized Hey, What’s Up with the (*)? September 18, 2017 - - If you have landed here you are probably interested in learning more about how you pursue an MBA while keeping a full-time job. You are likely also interested in what those options look...
Me with a few classmates posing during graduation, was my MBA worth it Was the Duke MBA Worth It? September 12, 2017 - - Yes, and not just for the reasons you think. Going beyond business, it taught me some surprising life lessons
Fuqua students in Dubai How to Do Dubai Like a Pro July 6, 2017 - - When the time comes for each residency, why not make the most out of the opportunity with an additional pre- or post-residency trip? Here is how we made the most out of a pre-residency trip when a group of us all stopped over in Dubai for a few days before our studies in New Delhi
Students at the Taj Mahal in india Health Sector Management Around the World June 14, 2017 - - Duke's Fuqua School of Business offers a unique program for those interested in health care—the Health Sector Management (HSM) Certificate. The HSM Certificate supplements the MBA curriculum with additional courses in health care to prepare students for management and leadership roles in a variety of health sectors, such as medical device, consulting, banking, pharmaceutical, venture capital, biotechnology, entrepreneurial, and health systems
two dozen consulting club members pose for a group shot Inside the Cross Continent MBA Consulting Club April 6, 2017 - - While the entire cohort only comes together every 10 weeks when class residencies occur,  clubs still remain very active and very connected throughout the program
The Women in Business club pose for a group photo after they golf outing A Closer Look at the Women in Business Club April 6, 2017 - - Professional clubs in the program provide students with the opportunity to gain academic and industry knowledge in addition to career management skills around a particular professional area
Group photo of GEMBA students Top 16 Things to Do in the CCMBA Program February 20, 2017 - - College is a time of exploration. Most people have four years (for those in undergrad, the clock is ticking y’all). Some people though, decide that four years are just simply not enough
chose Fuqua 3 Reasons I Chose Fuqua February 16, 2017 - - I have never questioned if I should complete an MBA, it was merely a matter of when and where it would take place
8 members of the Energy Club pose for a group photo Spotlight on The Cross Continent MBA Energy Club January 14, 2017 - - Professional clubs in the program provide students with the opportunity to gain academic and industry knowledge in addition to career management skills around a particular professional area
Me in the business section of a international flight, one of the perks of being a consultant After Graduation: Enjoying Being a Consultant December 13, 2016 - - Now that I have the job with Boston Consulting Group (BCG), what's it like? It's actually really similar to the program: the travel, the international projects and teams, the (occasional) long nights solving complicated problems, wondering where to even start
Dean Boulding at gradulation ceremony How Duke Helped Me Land a Job at Boston Consulting Group November 22, 2016 - - If you are anything like me, you began your MBA not knowing what you wanted to get out of your educational experience. I was relatively happy with how my career was proceeding. I liked my job and wanted to use my MBA to move up within my company. Then I met my classmates
students working in team rooms at Fuqua How Distance Learning Works in the Cross Continent MBA November 16, 2016 - - Before I started the program, I was curious as to how the distance learning portion would work in between class residencies. I knew that a majority of assignments would be team-based and that my teammates would be located all over the globe, but I hadn’t experienced the challenges of working across different time zones
flatbread sandwiches, break room snacks Student Break Room Snacks Ranked November 16, 2016 - - Fuqua provides some phenomenal snacks and cuisine while Cross Continent MBA (CCMBA) students are in class residencies. With the buffet breakfasts, all-encompassing Fox Center cafeteria lunches, and per diem dinners—during which you are able to go out and explore the city—you are fed as well as if you were back at your parents' house
Professor Katherine Schipper with a few dozen of her accounting students Extreme Accounting Makeover: Katherine Schipper Edition October 20, 2016 - - Thanks to the reality TV show we know how the script goes. Everyone gathers as the project is kicked off, some tears are shed, what’s known is destroyed, more tears are shed. Work is done around the clock. Then everyone goes away and returns only to see the miraculous and impressive finished product
3 Cross Continent students climbing a wall during MBA Orientation 2 Big Things I Learned During MBA Orientation October 7, 2016 - - This blog was written by a Cross Continent MBA student prior to the program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Every Fuqua student will spend a day during MBA orientation with some of...
the dozens of national and other flags in the halls symbolize the diversity at Fuqua Why Diversity at Fuqua Gives Me Hope for Tomorrow August 18, 2016 - - This blog was written by a Cross Continent MBA student prior to the program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  It’s 3:30 a.m. and I can’t sleep. This happens from time to...
students celebrating Holi in Delhi, maximize the MBA experience 7 Ways to Maximize the MBA Experience July 5, 2016 - - This blog was written by a Cross Continent MBA student prior to the program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  The Cross Continent MBA is a unique program. Residencies. Visas. Traveling to some...
My MBA training came in handy on this mountaintop How My MBA Training Saved Me on a 6,500-Foot Cliff May 9, 2016 - - This blog was written by a Cross Continent MBA student prior to the program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  MBA lessons can prove practical in unlikely places. I’m hanging off the...
A corporate visit to Tesla in China for Duke's Cross Continent MBA students Why I Chose Duke’s Cross Continent MBA January 8, 2016 - - This blog was written by a Cross Continent MBA student prior to the program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  In many ways, I fell into Duke’s Cross Continent MBA program by...
Colorado's Elk Mountains - A Duke Fuqua Cross Continent MBA student reflects on what it's like to become a student again What It’s Like to Become a Student Again November 10, 2015 - - This blog was written by a Cross Continent MBA student prior to the program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Driving up over the crest of Vail Pass, 10,000 feet above sea...
John Graham participating in discussion - working with faculty members at Duke's Fuqua School of Business Working with Faculty and Staying Engaged as an Alumnus October 27, 2015 - - This blog was written by a Cross Continent MBA alumnus who graduated prior to the program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Since graduating from the Cross Continent MBA (CCMBA) program in...
My view from the front row in Professor Aaron Kay's Managerial Effectiveness class during my first CCMBA residency 4 Takeaways from My First CCMBA Residency September 30, 2015 - - This blog was written by a Cross Continent MBA student prior to the program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  1. Accounting Class The first residency hadn’t yet started, but everyone talked...
hard at work designing shoes - launching a startup while in the Duke Cross Continent MBA Living the Dream: Launching a Startup While in The Duke MBA September 18, 2015 - - This blog was written by a Cross Continent MBA student prior to the program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  It’s true what they say about being at the right place at...
student presentation on the business of health care during a Fuqua course for Duke MBA students Rethinking the Business of Health Care September 15, 2015 - - This blog was written by a Cross Continent MBA student prior to the program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Worldwide, health care costs per capita and health care expenditure as a...
Running toward the India Gate in Delhi, Time Management and Prioritization at the Residencies Time Management and Prioritization at the Residencies September 11, 2015 - - This blog was written by a Cross Continent MBA student prior to the program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  The 10 or more days spent at a Cross Continent residency are fun,...
Fuqua admissions tips for the Cross Continent MBA program Admissions Tips for the Cross Continent MBA August 11, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  The admissions process at Fuqua for the Cross Continent MBA (CCMBA) program is unique, and there...
Duke Cross Continent MBA students posing under the Fuqua banner 5 Must-Dos for MBA Preparation July 28, 2015 - - This blog was written by a Cross Continent MBA student prior to the program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  The wait is finally over and I’m here on campus at Fuqua...
Duke Fuqua Cross Continent MBA students gain unique business insight at Shahi Exports Corporate Visits Provide Unique Business Insight: Part 1 July 15, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program’s merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Our Tour of Shahi Exports Corporate visits are a very important part of the Cross Continent...
Duke Fuqua Cross Continent MBA students gain unique business insight at Shahi Exports Corporate Visits Provide Unique Business Insight: Part 2 July 15, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Part 1 of the blog can be read here. Bhane: An Up-and-Coming Fashion Brand, Designed in...
Duke Fuqua Cross Continent MBA students gain unique business insight at Shahi Exports Corporate Visits Provide Unique Business Insight: Part 3 July 15, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Part 2 of the blog can be read here. Shahi’s Efforts to Empower the Women of...
Duke Fuqua Cross Continent MBA students visit Op ASHA while studying in India Broadening Health Care Perspectives with an MBA July 6, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Experiences shape your perspectives. When I was 12, my mom was diagnosed with transverse myelitis, a...
Fuqua's Cross Continent MBA class of 2010 Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone for an MBA Class June 25, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  “Don’t worry Professor, we’re still teaching Laura how to use the calculator, but we’ll make sure...
Cross Continent Students at the Taj Mahal Beyond the Business Case Study: Talking with the CEO June 16, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Before I debrief our recent Cross Continent MBA (CCMBA) residency in New Delhi, our business case...
Duke Fuqua Cross Continent MBA students on a farm in Jaipur, India Team Fuqua: A School and a Family June 8, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  As we barreled down the road connecting Agra and Jaipur in our blissfully air-conditioned 12-person van,...
Duke Fuqua School of Business Professor Jeremy Petranka with Cross Continent MBA students in India How the Cross Continent MBA Breaks from the Norm: A Q&A with Professor Jeremy Petranka May 22, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  I received this note from a Cross Continent MBA ’15 student that essentially sums up the...
Duke Fuqua Cross Continent MBA Students at the Taj Mahal Exploring Global Markets and Institutions in India May 19, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  One of the reasons I chose the Cross Continent MBA (CCMBA) program was the Global Markets...
Cross Continent MBA Senior Program Manager Keith O'Hare Planning a Cross Continent Residency: A Story of Dedication with a Splash of Betrayal! April 24, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Cross Continent MBA (CCMBA) residencies are intense! During one, students attend class sessions, guest speaker engagements,...
Mountain view in Chile Our Epic Journey to the End of the World March 20, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  For our third residency in Santiago, we were lucky that it straddled our new year’s holiday...
Veramonte Winery in Chile Cross Continent MBAs Lead Fuqua into Latin America March 5, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Way back when I was applying to the Cross Continent MBA (CCMBA) program, I remember thinking,...
Students at a Volkswagen factory in Shanghai Building Global Business Competence January 27, 2015 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  About a year ago, I sat in my chief risk officer’s office, and had asked her,...
Students in Beijing during GEMBA program To the Great Wall and Back December 29, 2014 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  To make the best of our residencies abroad, many of us often choose to do a...
Student Club Explores the Beer Industry in Shanghai Student Club Explores the Beer Industry in Shanghai November 19, 2014 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  For our second residency experience, 107 of my friends and colleagues traveled to Shanghai where our...
On the high ropes during teambuilding exercises at orientation Your Learning Team has You Covered October 17, 2014 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  The first day of school is always accompanied by some degree of butterflies in the stomach....
An impromptu soccer game was a Durham residency stress-reliever for my classmates Discovering the Inner Energizer Bunny October 8, 2014 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Transitioning back to being a student during the two-week initial residency in Durham after six years...
Student orientation - participating team-building activities at Triangle Training Center Becoming a Business School Student September 11, 2014 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  As I spent time in the Global Studies Building during my undergrad years at the University...
Program launch after Break a Leg. No Really, it Helps. August 11, 2014 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  I don’t quite know when I decided that I wanted to do an MBA. I always...
Meeting with Women Business Leaders Meeting with Women Business Leaders July 6, 2014 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  We have had different entrepreneurs and business leaders join us during our Cross Continent MBA class...
Class participated in a 'Duke Basketball Experience' during our final residency in Durham Fun Facts and Insight April 14, 2014 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  5 fun facts about me: I once was an intern for George Clooney at his production...
mba class 5 Tips for Cross Continent MBA Residencies January 24, 2014 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Fuqua’s Cross Continent MBA program offers a perfect blend of study, work, and travel. You get...
Fuqua School of Business Breeden Hall Opening the “Black Box” of the MBA Admissions Process December 19, 2013 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  If I met you out on the road or at one of our campus events, you’re...
Corporate visit to John Deere during the first Durham residency Professional Development is Key Reason for Pursuing MBA October 10, 2013 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  Success is not just about forming a vision and attaining it, but also about adding value...
6 TV Shows to Watch Before the Cross Continent Program October 10, 2013 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  It’s that time of year again in the entertainment industry when the broadcast networks launch new...
My Journey from India to Fuqua October 10, 2013 - - This blog was written prior to the Cross Continent MBA program merger with the Global Executive MBA program.  I was extremely happy with the job and career progression I had achieved in the first...