Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog
What I Wish I Knew Before My First Year
- Team meetings should never be more than two hours long.
- The optional readings for classes are probably never going to happen.
- Get the food fast at Fuqua Friday or there won’t be any chicken wings left for you!
- Station 9 will enter your apartment and place your garbage inside if you leave a bag outside your door.
- Take Decision Models, Information Management, and Market Intelligence your first year. Apparently I did not receive this memo and will be taking these doozies second year.
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep every night, or you’ll end up sleeping on the couches in the Fox Center and will get nothing done.
- You can’t survive on peanut butter and Lunchables. You need a real meal once in a while.
- Learn how to use a Mac if that’s what you’re bringing to B-school. This isn’t the best time to learn a whole new operating system.
- Don’t worry if you don’t get an internship until late in the spring. The CMC isn’t lying when they say there are some really great jobs that pop up on the internal careers site in March/April!
- Make friends with Fuqua faculty and staff right away – they are just as good of a support system as your family, friends, and classmates.
- At first, everyone has some sort of trouble getting used to B-school. You can’t be great at everything, and the most important thing is exuding confidence and trying the best you can.