students having a discussion with Professor Gavan Fitzsimons in a classroom 3 of My Favorite Professors November 19, 2020 - - The faculty at Fuqua is a highlight of the MBA experience. We have a number of thought leaders in a variety of different industries who all bring a unique perspective to the classroom.
carbin office sign; enrtrepreneurship The Highs and Lows of Entrepreneurship During Business School November 11, 2020 - - When I came into my first year at Fuqua, second year of my dual-degree overall, I had decided it was time to embrace something different. Fresh off an internship at WeWork, I had entrepreneurial inspiration and an idea for applying techniques I learned during my internship to a new context.
a dozen students pose with a Duke banner beneath the Stryker Neurovascular sign during their first terms at Fuqua How to Maximize the First Terms at Fuqua October 9, 2020 - - I had heard how fast time flies once school starts, but it only really registered in mid-December while I was walking out from my last exam of the term. Time and tide wait for no man, but man did I wish I had known a few things before the craziness came and went.
a student looking at her laptop smiling during virtual recruiting Virtual Recruiting During COVID-19: Lessons Along the Way September 18, 2020 - - Since March, our team has been working diligently to help our students, alumni and employers to navigate the many challenges of virtual recruiting during COVID-19. Along the way, we’ve seen firsthand how job seekers can succeed despite the uncertainties and rapid changes. Here are a few insights that can make a big difference.
Bishnu on stage with David Robinson during their interview, one of Bishnu's most memorable experiences at Fuqua My 10 Most Memorable Experiences at Fuqua August 18, 2020 - - When I was a prospective student, I remember reading marketing materials about Fuqua. Now that I have graduated, I have seen how the elements of that content have been brought to life. I...
A screenshot from Manu's video below where he talks about his alumni impact Stories of Alumni Impact August 5, 2020 - - At Fuqua, we believe that all of our students and alumni have the potential to lead positive social change. This is exactly why the Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship works to build our students' competencies, connections, and community so that, when they graduate, they have an impact—wherever they go.
400+ students, divided into 6 sections with matching shirts, pose for an aerial group photo on the front steps; the Fuqua community When You Realize You Truly Know the Fuqua Community July 30, 2020 - - As I was boarding my flight for a spring break ski trip in early March 2020, I thought our class had already been tested. And that had nothing on what was yet to come.
dozens of flags representing naitons and other communities line the hallway; advocating for the international community Advocating for the International Community July 17, 2020 - - 2020 is anything but boring. That’s what I always say to my friends and family. When we think we might finally have things figured out, there’s always something that takes us by surprise. And as an international student at Fuqua, I can say that has a special connotation.
a Zoom screenshot of dozens of students on camera during a Fuqua Friday planed by the VP of Student Life Student Life Events Adapt to Social Distancing July 10, 2020 - - This was not the spring and summer my classmates and I envisioned. As MBAA Vice President for Student Life, I was excited to get started with several projects on campus that appeared to be on hold.
the student photos of the 11 members of the MBAA cabinet Unexpected Leadership Gains in the Context of COVID-19 June 29, 2020 - - In February, I started to consider taking on a leadership role at Fuqua during the second year of my MBA to be able to give back to a community that had given me so much up to that point.
Allison in front of the admissions entrance to Fuqua; MBA application changes for 2020-2021 Changes to Our MBA Application for 2020–2021 June 17, 2020 - - The 2019–2020 application year was truly the most tumultuous in my nearly 15 years of working in MBA Admissions. Like you, we had to adjust to a lot of the challenges that COVID-19 presented.
The Breeden Hall entrance to Fuqua with the school sign and blooming cherry trees in the foreground; How Fuqua Forged Ahead During the Pandemic How Fuqua Forged Ahead During the Pandemic May 28, 2020 - - Whether it be the professors, the Office of Student Life, or the students, the entire Fuqua family came together and forged ahead during what probably will be one of the most challenging, yet interesting terms at Fuqua. And here is the story of it.
Six headshot-style photos of bearded student participating in the fundraiser battling the impact of COVID-19 Battling the Impact of COVID-19 the Fuqua Way April 27, 2020 - - I was on my way to Portugal when COVID-19 concerns escalated into worldwide panic. My classmates and I had just finished our spring break trip to Morocco, and when I landed in the...
Mike and Sarah on stage presenting their candidate platform; Fuqua's leadership lab The Duke MBA: A Leadership Lab for Personal Growth and Development April 20, 2020 - - In February, my MBA Association Co-President Mike Treiser and I were speaking to a classroom full of prospective students about leadership opportunities at Fuqua. Just before the session, I had found out one of my best friends was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer.
a handful of students, partners and children pose for a photo after dinner in a home; advice for European applicants 5 Pieces of Advice for European Applicants April 15, 2020 - - European applicants have a lot to consider when applying to business school. We’ve put together a few pieces of advice for prospective students, and we hope this information will be helpful as you consider this next step in your life and career.
students congregating and chatting in Fuqua's main hallway; location is why schools like Duke have an edge Here’s Why Location Gives Schools Like Duke an Edge March 26, 2020 - - As an alumnus, the question I get asked most by prospective MBA students is whether attending Duke, in medium-sized Durham, North Carolina, will put them at a disadvantage.
The iconic water tower and smokestack of the campus with Durham highrise buildings in the background at dusk; a great place to visit when exploring Durham Tips for Exploring Durham March 2, 2020 - - At the very beginning, I was afraid of not being able to adjust. How would I live without the restaurant and entertainment offerings that only big cities have?
A man walking into an admissions interview room The Admissions Interview: What to Expect and How to Prepare February 17, 2020 - - The journey to business school starts in many places—for me, it was in the back seat of my dad’s car. But for all MBAs, at some point, it converges on one location: an admissions interview room.
Duke's Grayson Allen dribbles toward the basket during a Duke-UNC rivalry game The Duke-UNC Rivalry Explained January 29, 2020 - - Eight miles separate Duke from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The Battle for Tobacco Road, as it’s known, is one of the greatest rivalries in college sports
four students seated at a campus dining room table with laptops talking; consulting experience Gaining Consulting Experience with FCCP January 14, 2020 - - Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum is an experiential learning opportunity for students to work on consulting engagements with businesses and nonprofits around the world. First-year and second-year MBAs work in teams to assist client organizations with challenges across a number of industries and fields such as marketing, strategy, and operations
five students from the fintech club and two professors pose for a photo in front of the conference stage Why We Founded the Duke MBA Fintech Club January 9, 2020 - - We co-founded the Duke MBA FinTech Club in the Spring of 2018, with the goal of fostering a community passionate about financial technology at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business and to create an ecosystem that supports MBA students in pursuing careers within the industry
dozens of students working at tables in a large office space during the design competition Design Thinking Beyond Fuqua: 3 Takeaways from IDEO’s CoLab Makeathon December 17, 2019 - - Serving on the cabinet of the Design & Innovation Club is one of my favorite extra-curricular activities at Fuqua. Guiding my classmates through design thinking workshops is extremely rewarding, and has given me the chance to hone my own design skills as well
Approximately 20 students seated around a boardroom table listening to Nivruti Rai, top technology advisor to the Indian government How Hosting the Top Technology Advisor to the Indian Government Transformed Me December 13, 2019 - - I’m sixteen months into the Daytime MBA program at Fuqua, and the experience has been hugely rewarding. However, my already amazing experience got even better when the Global Team at Fuqua asked me to organize and moderate a panel discussion with Nivruti Rai
a collage of 8 photos, each with the alumnus posing with the hiring company's swag or signage A Record Year for Hiring at Fuqua December 1, 2019 - - I’ve often told people I feel like I have the best job at Fuqua. As associate dean for career management, I have a front-row view of our tremendously talented students seeking jobs plus direct insight from the companies looking to hire them
hundreds of students gathered in the Fox Center during a Fuqua Friday, one of the examples of regular campus celebrations Examples of Our 25 Random Things November 18, 2019 - - If you're a prospective student reading this blog, chances are you're already aware of the "25 Random Things" essay that is part of the application. But how should you approach writing it? Here are some examples from our essays that might help spark some of your own ideas
a dozen students from the Latin American Student Association pose in front of a LASA banner outside Cameron Indoor Stadium Latin American Student Association Provides Valuable Support November 14, 2019 - - Coming from Brazil, I quickly learned that the cultural difference between my home country and the U.S. is greater than I had ever realized. Having support from fellow Latin American students has helped me make the best of my experience
nine students plus an instructor pose for a group photo on stage during their business improv class How Business Improv at Fuqua Changed My Life November 6, 2019 - - This is my story of why I vowed abstention from public speaking because of Russia, and how a business improv class at Fuqua changed all that while helping me overcome my lifelong fear of performing on stage
a Fuqua notebook on a table; gaining board experience Our Fuqua on Board Experience November 1, 2019 - - Fuqua On Board is a volunteer-based, year-long program where MBA students are selected from a pool of applicants and paired with a local nonprofit to serve as a non-voting board member
dozens of incoming exchange students pose for a group photo under the Fuqua banner in the Fox Center What Do Incoming Exchange Students Think About Fuqua? October 17, 2019 - - Every year, Fuqua takes in about 60 incoming exchange students from all over the world. As a Fuqua student, the diversity they bring to our school is another great thing about the experience here
Dean Bill Boulding on stage with students watching in the foreground 3 Reasons I Chose the MSTeM Track as an International MBA Candidate October 4, 2019 - - As I was in your shoes as a prospective student, I wanted to know which program could help me most in achieving my post-MBA goal to work in the U.S. and to become an enabled business leader in a world of Big Data and AI
students posing for a group photo during the Prodigy event, gaining entrepreneurial experience Gaining Entrepreneurial Experience at Fuqua October 1, 2019 - - Coming into Fuqua, I had many ideas about how to spend my two years. One of them was to pursue entrepreneurship, and business school has helped me tremendously in that regard
6 European students holding up swag from the European Business Club; international applicants 3 Resources to Help International Applicants Find the Right MBA Program September 26, 2019 - - I remember two years ago, with the GMAT out of the way, I was confident that I had just completed the hardest part of the application process. Then, all of a sudden, it hit me: I had no idea what program was truly right for me
a student in a classroom setting watching with a smile; funding your MBA 3 Things to Know About Funding Your MBA September 17, 2019 - - Here in the admissions office we get a lot of questions from prospective and admitted students about financial aid and scholarships. We thought it might be helpful to lay out some of the basics for you and help you get an understanding of how things work here at Fuqua
a dozen students around a dinner table during their MBA exchange program in Rotterdam Benefits of the MBA Exchange Program September 16, 2019 - - My decision to study in Rotterdam during my MBA as part of the Outgoing Exchange Program baffled many individuals
Students around the lunch table, listening to one speak; evolving the curriculum Why We’re Evolving Our Daytime MBA Curriculum August 26, 2019 - - One of the great pleasures I have as dean of a business school is engaging with business leaders around the world and learning about the challenges they face and the evolving capabilities they seek in new talent
three students with laptops out looking at one of them in unison while doing work for a course Breaking Down First-Year Courses: Fall Term 1 August 23, 2019 - - So, you’ve read online the names of courses you’ll be taking when you start at Fuqua, but what do they really entail? And how nervous should you be if it’s been five or more years since your last economics exam
5 students pose for a photo behind their Brand Challenge display table Gaining Marketing Experience During the Brand Challenge July 29, 2019 - - During my first year, I had the chance to participate in one of the Duke MBA Marketing Club’s premier annual events, the Brand Challenge. Each year, the club partners with different brands including Dell, P&G, The Hershey Company, and Clorox to put on the Brand Challenge, and it has become a veritable tradition here at Fuqua
a couple dozen entrepreneurial students posing for a group photo My Entrepreneurial Journey During Business School July 9, 2019 - - If you have an entrepreneurial itch, business school is a great time to scratch it
Fuqua Mallway Why We Believe In Doing Business Better July 8, 2019 - - Every year, the Admissions Committee has the task of identifying students who are energized by the belief that it is possible to do well in business and do good in the world. As...
application: a woman working on her laptop Changes to the 2019–2020 Duke MBA Application June 20, 2019 - - The Duke MBA Admissions team has made several changes to our application process this year with the goal of increasing accessibility to all applicants, streamlining the process, and providing the greatest number of applicants the opportunity to meet with Duke MBA students and staff in person
Janette posing in her graduation gown with her degree; gaining leadership experience How Gaining Leadership Experience at Fuqua Transformed Me June 3, 2019 - - The final term of my second year at Fuqua has come to the end, and it was another term full of emails, calls, and busy schedules. People usually worship second-year MBA life as the most chill period of the business school experience. It seems like the reality was different, at least for me.
a soldier looks on as a handful of student work together to make their way through a 'spiderweb' obstacle during leadership development exercises Leadership Development at Fuqua May 1, 2019 - - Business school serves a range of purposes, from career shifts to personal and skill development. For me, school was about transitioning from an individual contributor to a leader, and developing the skillset to lead effectively.
local music scene: an outdoor stage at the bluegrass festival in Raleigh Exploring the Vibrant Local Music Scene April 4, 2019 - - Music has always been a big part of my life. Moving recently from New York, I was pleasantly surprised by the diverse and vibrant music scene in Durham and the greater Triangle area....
more than 100 of the attendees are in view with the stage and speakers in the background; conference insights Conference Insights: Ten Years from the Bottom April 2, 2019 - - If someone asked you to discuss the 2008 financial crisis, your first thoughts may be a recollection of newspaper headlines, textbook passages, or classroom lectures. To Wall Street CEOs however, their thoughts on...
Ariadne and her husband smiling and holding Duke cups; after you're admitted 10 Things to Do After You’re Admitted April 2, 2019 - - Now that you have received the highly anticipated call, you must be asking yourself what you should do next. Here are 10 steps to help you navigate the upcoming months after you’re admitted...
At least 50 members of the Fuqua community gather for a group photo in San Francisco at the Fuqua Around the World 2019 event Fuqua Around the World 2019 March 28, 2019 - - This year’s Fuqua Around the World, the sixth for our global networking event, proved to be bigger and better than ever. What started as a partnership between our Development and Alumni Relations team...
Tiffany sitting beside the Microsoft sign during her Microsoft internship 4 Lessons from My Microsoft Internship March 21, 2019 - - MBA internships are great opportunities to apply skills gained during your first year and learn additional skills that will make you a well-rounded future business leader. Landing a Microsoft internship as a product...
7 students leaping for joy with mountains in the background, one of my favorite Fuqua memories My Favorite Fuqua Memories March 21, 2019 - - I left Fuqua last May ready to rejoin the working world, armed with a new degree and a great deal more knowledge about business, marketing, and health care. The education exceeded every expectation...
Professor Ashleigh Rosette, instructor of Fuqua's women in leadership course, chatting with two students in the Fox Center Women in Leadership: Takeaways from Professor Ashleigh Rosette’s Course March 21, 2019 - - The mark of a hearty, stick to your ribs MBA course is one in which I’m able to make a little more sense of the business world. The recipe behind these great courses...
Coach K How Duke Basketball Helps Shape the Student Experience February 26, 2019 - - There is a motto at Duke University and the Fuqua School of Business—work hard, play hard. Sure, our students spend a lot of time working on case studies, but they also spend a...
two female students pose for a photo at a Fuqua event, International Women's Day 5 Students Honor International Women’s Day with Reflections on Fuqua February 20, 2019 - - International Women’s Day first began as recognition of a women’s labor strike in New York City 110 years ago, but has now grown to an international event that brings awareness and support for...
About 70 student, all wearing matching Section 1 T-shirts, pose for a group photo in a classroom during orientation, 25 random things 25 Random Things About My Section February 11, 2019 - - The “25 Random Things” admissions essay is one of the not so random ways that Fuqua creates a diverse class of MBA candidates that push each other to grow both personally and academically....
Fuqua's Breeden Hall entrance, why we love Fuqua Why We Love Fuqua February 6, 2019 - - If you have spent just a few moments with someone at Fuqua, you probably figured out that we are passionate about our school. Each person has his or her own story of the...
Duke University's Blue Devil mascot holding a "Team Fuqua" pennant flag at BDW BDW Convinced Me to Come to Fuqua February 1, 2019 - - The transition from applicant to admit was one of my favorite parts of the pre-MBA process. After all the hours spent GMAT prepping, and applying, and refreshing my email inbox, I could finally...
2 members of the admissions laughing during a conversation around a table, Myths about applying to Fuqua in Round 3 4 Myths About Applying to Fuqua in Round 3 January 31, 2019 - - Applying to business school is a journey—one that takes diligent research and some careful soul searching. Here in the Office of Admissions, we get a lot of questions about the best time to...
Fellow veterans at Fuqua led classmates during Operation Blue Devil—a leadership training session at Fort Bragg Why I Chose Fuqua to Transition from the Military to the Workforce January 29, 2019 - - The choice to leave the service is always a tough one for any military officer. As a third generation Army officer, walking away was especially tough for me, but after I completed the...
Fuqua faculty member, Christine Moorman, photographed teaching class. How to Choose Your MBA Electives January 29, 2019 - - A major reason I chose to get my MBA was the opportunity to learn in a structured environment again. One regret from my undergrad experience was not treating education like an all-you-can-eat buffet....
Erin posing on stage with student leaders and speakers from the social impact conference 3 Myths About Social Impact at Fuqua January 29, 2019 - - At Fuqua, we believe in empowering our students and alumni with the business skills needed to achieve social change. The Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship (CASE) was founded at Fuqua to...
Arpit Garg standing by the lake. How I Knew It Was the Right Time for an MBA January 29, 2019 - - Are you trying to figure out if it is the right time for an MBA? I was in the same boat as you, and it sure is a tricky decision. Taking a break...
11 students pose with messages written on their arms about their interest in pursuing a social impact career How CASE Prepared Me for a Social Impact Career January 11, 2019 - - Four weeks into my post-MBA career, I realized that I absolutely loved my job. I immediately emailed Erin Worsham, the executive director of the Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship (CASE), to...
The entire class of 2018 Duke Fuqua MBA graduates standing during their commencement ceremony Where Are Duke Fuqua MBA Graduates Getting Jobs? December 11, 2018 - - It’s that time of year again. We’ve compiled and analyzed our latest career data—including job results for the Class of 2018. I’m delighted to say the results are again showing Duke Fuqua MBA...
25 random things about us: students walking down Fuqua's hallway 25 Random Things About Us December 10, 2018 - - Fuqua’s “25 Random Things” application essay has become well-known over the years, and it remains a great way for the admissions committee to get to know applicants. So in that spirit, here is...
admitted from the waitlist: a sign that reads "The Fuqua School of Business Admissions Office" 3 Things That Can Get You Admitted from the Waitlist December 10, 2018 - - After waiting for what seems like an eternity, you find out the admissions committee has placed you on the waitlist for admission. As someone who works closely with our waitlist applicants, I can...
Class sections: more than 400 student representing all 6 sections pose on the Fuqua steps for a class photo during orientation What You Need to Know About Class Sections at Fuqua December 5, 2018 - - We know you’ve heard all about #teamfuqua, but have you heard about the “Unos” (aka Section 1) or the very proud “#fiveordie” (aka Section 5)? Where It All Begins On day one of...
Professor Doug Breeden Learning from the Best: Finance Professor Doug Breeden November 9, 2018 - - Professor Doug Breeden is a highly respected name in the banking industry and a leading financial mind in the academic space. If you join Fuqua, I highly recommend enrolling in one of his...
Swati Tiwari - 6 Reflections on My First Year 6 Reflections on My First Year November 9, 2018 - - 1. Don’t underestimate the burden of internship recruiting. It wasn’t long after that first email from the Career Management Center in August that I started noticing recruiters on campus for company presentations and...
Duke Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski on stage talking with Fuqua Dean Bill Boulding, MBA recruiting 6 Things I Learned During First-Year MBA Recruiting October 25, 2018 - - For international students new to the country, MBA recruiting in the U.S. can be a daunting task. Now, as a second-year who has gone through the summer internship recruiting in full circle, I’ve...
dozens of flags line the hallway with students bustling below, international student What I’ve Gained from Fuqua as an International Student October 24, 2018 - - I knew I wanted to come to the U.S. for business school, but I also knew that I wanted to return to my home country, Indonesia, in the long run. About five years...
Professor Aaron Chatterji, teacher of an advanced corporate strategy class, talking with students in the Fox Center Corporate Strategy Class: Examining the Intersection of Business and Politics October 23, 2018 - - Business and politics have merged in a way that many of us have not seen before. Companies are expected to speak up and engage on political and social issues, even if these issues...
7 of the moms pursuing MBAs at Fuqua with their kids Meet 7 Moms Pursuing MBAs at Fuqua October 19, 2018 - - I was seven months pregnant when I attended Weekend for Women, and I decided to come to Fuqua when my daughter was two months old. Going into my MBA program as a new...
four students talking around a conference table and display screen, data analytics 4 Things You Should Know About Our Data Analytics Second Major October 18, 2018 - - I regularly interact with Daytime MBA alumni and their first question is generally, “What’s new at Fuqua?”  Of course, I’m quick to tell them about our newly created Second Major in Management Science...
Members of the MBA Association having a discussion while sitting in the sand at the beach Bonding and Goals at the MBA Association Retreat October 15, 2018 - - Each year during Spring Term 2, after the student organization presidents and cabinets are selected, many of these organizations go on group retreats to discuss goals for the year, share ideas, and bond. The...
all seven of the students from the Fuqua Nike internship group A Day in the Life of My Nike Internship October 12, 2018 - - This summer, seven Fuqua students from our class of 2019 had the opportunity to intern at Nike World Headquarters (WHQ) in Portland, Oregon. The experience was nothing short of amazing and we are...
four Admissions staff members chatting at a conference table, application tips on reommendations Admissions Tips: How to Best Leverage Your Recommendations October 9, 2018 - - Our Admissions team at Fuqua is always looking for ways to improve the application experience and process for our applicants. This year, we are excited to introduce the Common Letter of Recommendation (CLOR)...
two dozen students, mostly comprised of some of the women at Fuqua, post in front of the school's Christmas tree How AWIB Supports Women at Fuqua September 6, 2018 - - Fuqua’s Association of Women in Business (AWIB) community is starting the school year on a joyous note with the announcement that the percentage of women in the Daytime MBA Class of 2020 is...
A uniformed Army officer address a classroom of veterans seeking veteran's perspective on The Duke MBA My Veteran’s Perspective on The Duke MBA September 5, 2018 - - I chose to attend Fuqua because I wanted to join a culture where students are collaborative and selfless when it comes to helping each other. In the Army, we operated under the Warrior Ethos...
Jenna and her two EDGE classmates posing by NextEra Energy's office sign How EDGE has Enriched My MBA Experience August 27, 2018 - - I recall sitting down with Katie Kross, the managing director of Fuqua’s Center for Energy, Development, and the Global Environment (EDGE), while I was visiting campus the winter before starting my MBA career....
students in the Fuqua Executive MBA (EMBA) Program describe their business plans to their classmates during an entrepreneurship workshop Top 6 Reasons Entrepreneur Plus MBA Equals Unlimited Potential August 17, 2018 - - In my career, I’ve been fortunate to experience business from many vantage points. I’ve led companies as an entrepreneur and know firsthand the struggles and excitement of a startup. I’ve also experienced a...
the Fuqua School of Business sign in front of the Breeden Hall entrance, when is the best time to apply When is the Best Time to Apply? August 15, 2018 - - I recall my decision to apply to business school and wondering, “where do I begin?” and “what are they looking for?” and “when is the best time and round for me to apply?”...
looking down from the top of Duke Chapel at part of campus while exploring the Duke community beyond Fuqua Exploring the Duke Community Beyond Fuqua August 8, 2018 - - Duke University as a whole is one of the reasons why I chose Fuqua for my MBA program. As an international student, I was curious to explore the greater Duke community beyond Fuqua...
Students listen to a speaker during a classroom session on entrepreneurship at Duke A Guide to Entrepreneurship at Duke August 7, 2018 - - I’m incredibly proud of the resources that Duke University has invested in the innovation and entrepreneurship space. Prospective MBA students who want a comprehensive overview of all the amazing offerings focused on entrepreneurship...
approximately 400 students in the Daytime MBA Class of 2018 gather for a group photo, student leadership at Fuqua Student Leadership at Fuqua: Opportunities to Grow August 3, 2018 - - Before coming to Fuqua, I didn’t expect that students would run the school as much as they do. The student-led culture here is very supportive and collaborative, and I think that sets Fuqua...
10 students posing with messages written on sticky notes as part of a design thinking exercise Design Thinking: An Amazing Experience at Fuqua July 2, 2018 - - When I first arrived at Fuqua, I was sure that I wanted to pursue design consulting as a career path. I went through several detours and more ups and downs than I would...
five teammates on the field during Rob's summer at the NFL as an intern My Summer at the NFL: Running the Route from Fan to Intern June 29, 2018 - - Most people, myself included, tend to roll their eyes when they hear the recruiting advice “follow your passion.” Their eyes roll even further when you say you want to work in sports. However,...
a brochure and attendees from the conference, one of Fuqua's health care programming options Breaking Down Fuqua’s Health Care Programming June 28, 2018 - - When I arrived on campus, I was excited and impassioned about studying health care. But it took some time before I understood the difference between all of Fuqua’s health care programming. So here’s...
Coach K poses with a few dozen COLE fellows, one of our MBA student leader positions A Week in My Life as an MBA Student Leader June 13, 2018 - - When speaking with prospective students, I’ve been asked to describe the ‘usual’ day in the life of a Fuqua student. Every time I searched for an answer, I realized how challenging it would...
dozens of students on Tech Trek by Microsoft's sign 3 Impressions from Tech Trek May 24, 2018 - - Ninety of my first-year classmates signed up for Tech Trek and bought tickets to travel across the country during their fall break, with high expectations to learn more about the recruiting opportunities and...
The sun sets behind the Mary Duke Biddle Trent Semans Center for Health Education, the new home for the Duke University School of Medicine where MD/MBA joint degree students spend a lot of their time Why I Pursued an MD/MBA Dual Degree May 18, 2018 - - I would not have pictured myself in an MBA program 10 years ago. As an undergraduate chemistry major, I chose to develop my understanding of the world through the lens of science, aspiring to...
GATE students holding a Duke banner with a mountain sunset in the background What GATE is and Why You Should Go April 19, 2018 - - Sawubona! One of my passions has always been traveling and exploring new places. Before enrolling at Duke, I had visited more than 20 countries, and my goal is to get to 30 before...
four women engaged in listening to the speaker at the C200 women's leadership conference Values Aligned: Insights from the C200 Women’s Leadership Conference April 17, 2018 - - Recently, we were fortunate to welcome members of the preeminent women’s executive leadership organization, C200, to Fuqua for an all-day leadership conference. The event, called “Steering the Way Forward: Be Fearless, Transform &...
a bust of J.B. Fuqua in the school hallway The Question You May Be Afraid to Ask: How Do You Pronounce Fuqua? April 16, 2018 - - OK prospective students, we know. You’ve wondered and don’t want to ask. How do you say our school’s name? Full confession here: I’m the assistant dean of the Daytime program and an alumnus,...
six students seated around a table, collaborating on work embodies the answer to "What is Team Fuqua?" What is Team Fuqua? April 9, 2018 - - Team Fuqua. It’s a term you constantly hear in our community. Ask for a definition and a hundred people will tell you a hundred stories to illustrate what it means to them. Synthesizing...
the apartment complex at night, where to live in Durham Where to Live in Durham April 6, 2018 - - Where should I live? It was the first question in my head after the joyful moment of getting admitted. I’m sure others have felt the same way, and I wanted to help shed light...
Fuqua Around the World event in Princeton, New Jersey Celebrating the 5th Anniversary of Fuqua Around the World March 30, 2018 - - The event that started in 2013 as a partnership between Fuqua’s Development and Alumni Relations team and the Office of Admissions has now become an annual tradition for Fuqua alumni, current and admitted...
Professor John Buley speaking during the finance career intensive Kicking Off Recruiting Season at the Finance Career Intensive March 5, 2018 - - Some of the major highlights of the career search at Fuqua are the informative “career intensive” seminars that take place in September. Among them is the Finance Career Intensive—the marquee event that kicks...
Welcoming guests to an Admissions events What to Expect During a Campus Visit January 24, 2018 - - There are so many great business schools throughout the world, and it can be hard to set a target list of schools. As an international student who has lived on the opposite side...
MBA mom Swati and her daughter posing for a photo Life as an MBA Mom January 19, 2018 - - “Wow, you are so brave!” This is the first thing most of my friends said when I told them I was going back to school for a full-time MBA. And they didn’t think...
Students and Special Olympians holding up signs at the MBA games fundraiser Learning from Giving: MBA Games and Special Olympics December 28, 2017 - - Over the past two summers, I led trips to Port-au-Prince, Haiti, where my team of high schoolers volunteered at the Mephibosheth House, a home for kids with disabilities. The kids at the “M...
The Fox Center, our hub for student dining and socializing How Fuqua Welcomes and Supports Our International Students December 21, 2017 - - At Fuqua, we wholeheartedly believe our community grows stronger as our diversity increases. Thus, we intentionally seek to build a diverse student population—one that’s truly representative across experiences, backgrounds, cultures, beliefs, nationalities, citizenships,...
Shari Hubert in her admissions office, she shares her 25 Random Things as a way to get to know her Getting to Know Each Other Through 25 Random Things December 20, 2017 - - This place is truly special. It wasn’t long after joining Fuqua that I came to that realization, and every day I continue to encounter things that affirm it. From the beginning I was...
student volunteers welcoming those attending Blue Devil Weekend The Case for Attending Blue Devil Weekend as a Partner December 11, 2017 - - Choosing what business school to attend is just like buying a house. You wouldn’t make a decision without looking at it, right? OK, OK, sometimes that happens when the market is just right....
Gloves for team building Orientation, or My First Few Days of #TeamFuqua December 11, 2017 - - Like many of you, I wrote about teamwork in my application essays. I lauded the merits of the Fuqua philosophy as guided by the Paired Principles (my personal favorite was, and remains “Supportive...
students in New York city for corporate visits and networking, part of life at a business school in the U.S. One of the Best Decisions of My Life December 6, 2017 - - Several months have passed since I started business school, and oh so quickly. During that time it became obvious to me that coming to Fuqua has been one of the best decisions of...
A pint of beer and snacks at Ponysaurus Durham’s Beer Scene: My Top 5 Places November 20, 2017 - - Edit Post Preview(opens in a new tab)Add titleDurham’s Beer Scene: My Top 5 Places More than once, a recruiter has looked at my resume and the conversation has immediately turned to beer. As...
students can have a lot of fun at a Duke football game, things you should know before applying 5 Things You Should Know Before Applying November 20, 2017 - - 1. As much as you read about it and think you know what “Team Fuqua” is, you don’t until you experience it. I had my first Team Fuqua experience when I was still...
students posing in front of a Chinese landmark during the Global Academic Travel Experience The Ultimate Global Academic Travel Experience November 2, 2017 - - Prior to business school, I had never traveled outside the United States. I came to Fuqua wanting to challenge myself to try new things, and I knew that going on a Global Academic...
Mati cans on the fridge shelf, part of my mentored study experience Mentored Study: Experience You Can’t Get in the Classroom October 27, 2017 - - The field I was in before business school, digital advertising, thrives on the practical. Since it’s only existed for a handful of years, there’s very little theory—it’s all being created by practitioners as...
students in the Fuqua pride club posing for a photo, LGBTQ Weekend Experience Fuqua at a Fun and Supportive LGBTQ Admissions Event October 18, 2017 - - My experience visiting Fuqua for its LGBTQ Weekend was the deciding factor for me to apply here. Among other key criteria (class size, alumni network, location), one of my ‘must-haves’ was a school...
4 Fuqua interns pursuing an energy career posing on a wind farm 3 Ways Fuqua is Helping Me Pursue an Energy Career September 7, 2017 - - When I was applying to business schools, I was searching for a program that would allow me to explore my interest in the connection between businesses and the environment. I wanted to transition...
Name tag, water bottle, and other items from Day 1 of Caroline's LinkedIn internship A Day in the Life of My LinkedIn Internship August 31, 2017 - - Often MBA students are bucketed in two categories: career switchers or career accelerators. After five years with Deloitte Consulting, I had a strong feeling that it was the place for me and I...
front of the New York Stock Exchange during Week on Wall Street Investing in a Week on Wall Street August 7, 2017 - - It’s well known that the best way to get in a cold pool is to jump right in. For aspiring bankers at Fuqua, “Week on Wall Street” is the metaphorical equivalent of jumping...
leadership lessons Leadership Lessons Outside the Classroom July 14, 2017 - - So far, one of my most memorable experiences at Fuqua, has been leading a local initiative called Just Listen which uses high school student narratives and performance art to promote social change. We...
Considerations for Your Partner Considerations for Your Partner When Starting Your MBA July 6, 2017 - - A Student’s Perspective For as long as I can remember, the end of the school year felt like a time to reflect. Unlike birthdays, which seemed like an arbitrary passage of time, finishing...
Watts Grocery signage, a great place for dining in Durham Dining in Durham July 5, 2017 - - From 9th Street to downtown, you will never have trouble finding a place to add to your dining in Durham bucket list. The restaurant scene has a little something for everyone. While eating...
Fuqua Partners Activities for Fuqua Partners June 23, 2017 - - I’m so happy to be writing another post about the interesting and varied activities sponsored by Fuqua Partners. First, I think you might want a little background on Fuqua Partners. It’s comprised of...
Helping Habitat for Humanity of Durham through the Fuqua on Board program Building Hope: Fuqua on Board and Habitat for Humanity June 15, 2017 - - Looking back on my life, including my experience at Fuqua, one thing clearly rings true: I’ve been extremely fortunate. Many say their success is a function of hard work, and I won’t disagree...
guide to North Carolina An Insider’s Guide to North Carolina June 14, 2017 - - I was born and raised in North Carolina, but most of my friends and family were not. In fact, 42 percent of North Carolina’s population was born outside of the state. My mother was...
Approximately 100 MBA Chile conference attendees posing for a group photo Duke’s Impact as Host of the MBA Chile 2017 Conference May 22, 2017 - - From April 7 through 9, 2017, the MBA Chile conference—the most important meeting of Chilean students abroad—was held at Duke’s Fuqua School of Business for the very first time. The conference brought together more than...
Fuqua School of Business Daytime MBA 2017 Graduation Ceremony Finding Yourself Through Recruiting: My Road to Tech May 15, 2017 - - An open secret at Fuqua is that for most new MBAs, your past career—and even what you wrote as career goals in your admissions essays—no longer defines where you’re going once you walk through Fuqua’s...
views from my internship at Amazon My Summer Internship at Amazon May 4, 2017 - - I had no idea where I’d land after my first year at business school. Coming from the energy sector, I was optimistic about what seemed like the endless internship possibilities Fuqua could give...
Blue Devil Weekend highlights Blue Devil Weekend Highlights: April 2017 April 30, 2017 - - On Friday, April 21, the entire Fuqua community was thrilled to welcome the Daytime MBA Class of 2019 to campus for Blue Devil Weekend (BDW). Admitted students, partners, and their families—about 260 total...
About 60 Fuqua students pose for a group photo, staying fit Staying Fit at Fuqua April 20, 2017 - - If you walk the halls of Fuqua, you may occasionally overhear students grumble about the so-called ‘Fuqua Fifteen’—a phenomenon where MBA students gain a few, err, extra pounds at business school. This isn’t...
A presenter discusses social impact ideas with the participants Launching Ideas: The Inaugural Social Impact Startup Weekend April 5, 2017 - - When I walked into Duke’s innovation center, “The Bullpen,” to participate in the Fuqua Net Impact club’s inaugural Social Impact Startup Weekend, I had no idea what to expect. Many of the participants were students...
Three board members pose at the GDBCC Annual Gala to help Durham's small businesses Helping Durham’s Small Businesses Via Fuqua on Board March 10, 2017 - - One of the highlights of my MBA experience at Fuqua has been becoming a board member for the Greater Durham Black Chamber of Commerce (GDBCC) thanks to the Fuqua on Board (FOB) program....
going back to school at Fuqua, a photo of the main hallway with #FuquaBound text overlay How to Tell Your Company You’re Going Back to School February 27, 2017 - - When I was a college undergraduate, I landed a summer internship in the art department of an international magazine. I was in a new city with no friends and no family, but I knew...
Second-year MBA students posing outside of Fuqua How Second-Year MBA Students Impact the Business School Experience February 16, 2017 - - At Fuqua, my business school experience has been transformational rather than transactional. This is due in large part to the work of second-year MBA students throughout the community. Second-year students pass on their wisdom, experience, and...
FuquaTalks Presentation Picture FuquaTalks: Terrifying and Transformational February 6, 2017 - - Imagine that moment when you revealed your deepest secret to someone for the first time. That thing that you hold so close to you, that only your most intimate friends and family know...
four MBA students at the case competition, case competitions What You Can Learn from Case Competitions January 17, 2017 - - As a student at Fuqua, I am privileged to have the opportunity to learn from amazing professors in the classroom and then apply that knowledge outside the classroom. I recently had the opportunity...
the Duke Fuqua Office of Admissions sign, why mba Why Get an MBA? January 3, 2017 - - Business school is not for the faint of heart. This is no joke. Before matriculating, I had a fulfilling job, a fledgling small business I had just founded, a busy social life, and...
3 interns on a site visit, career in energy Beginning a Career in Energy: My PG&E Internship December 28, 2016 - - What do you want to be when you grow up? How many children hear this question and with palpable excitement in their eyes say, “I want to work at a UTILITY!” I’m that...
Wine tasting Around The World: A Highlight of Fuqua’s Social Calendar December 28, 2016 - - Once a term, you will find MBA students queuing up patiently to buy tickets to Around The World, the flagship event hosted by the Duke MBA Wine Club. This social event takes place...
investment banking firms among those listed on signs for a networking session in Fuqua's Fox Center Why Investment Banking? December 20, 2016 - - Like many of my Fuqua classmates, my career objectives diverged from what I wrote in my admissions essays. When I applied to the dual JD/MBA program in September 2014, only a few months...
students waiting to check in guests, one of the first things you'll do on a campus visit 5 Tips to Make the Most of Your Campus Visit December 15, 2016 - - I have been involved with the Admissions Ambassador program since my first year at Fuqua. I decided to be part of the program because I love meeting prospective students and sharing why I...
a colorful plate of tacos, beans and rice from Nanataco, food in Durham Best 5 Meals I’ve Had in Durham December 9, 2016 - - Since time is such a precious commodity in business school, meals occasionally translate to brief pit stops for sustenance rather than a chance to savor high quality, creative cuisine with classmates, family, and friends....
Tushar, Melissa and Nicole in the Fox Center, they share their Fuqua experience The Fuqua Experience: Our Stories December 6, 2016 - - Melissa Blette Like many, I came to orientation feeling excited but nervous. Would the “Team Fuqua” spirit I felt during my campus visits be true of my experience? How would I handle the...
city skyline, internship in Seattle My Summer Internship in Seattle November 28, 2016 - - I remember May 30, 2016 as if it were yesterday. It was the day I arrived in Seattle to begin my summer internship—an integral and highly-anticipated element of the MBA experience. I had...
the 4 of us receiving our prize for winning the Investment Banking Competition Winning the 2016 National Investment Banking Competition November 17, 2016 - - The 2016 National Investment Banking Competition (NIBC) began in October 2015 with four friends from Fuqua who were six months, 330-plus teams, and 3,000 miles away from the championship. When our team had...
FuquaPride members and allies gather to watch the NC Pride Parade, one of the reasons why Duke and Durham are great places for LGBT students Duke and Durham Remain Great Places for LGBT Students November 17, 2016 - - As a newly elected co-president of FuquaPride, Fuqua’s LGBT Network, I had the opportunity to attend Reaching Out MBA’s (ROMBA) Leadership Summit in Chicago last April. There I met and networked with other...
author Jason Lind plus 5 of his Section 4 classmates, investing in my journey Investing In My Journey November 15, 2016 - - On my thirteenth birthday, my dad gave me a thin manila envelope. I knew instantly this was not the Gameboy I was hoping for. However, I did not realize that this gift of a...
a group presentation at HSM Bootcamp is part of leadership growth at Fuqua Fuqua’s Focus on Leadership Growth October 31, 2016 - - 114 weeks ago today I walked into the large Geneen auditorium at Fuqua to meet my classmates. I had just returned from more than two years of living in Ethiopia, working to help small...
interns gathered for a happy hour, Genentech internship Exploring a Career Path: Highlights from My Genentech Internship October 25, 2016 - - When I came to Fuqua last year, I never thought that I would end up at Genentech for my summer internship. With a background in consulting and interest in the provider space, I...
study of health care Bootcamp: An Intensive Study of Health Care October 20, 2016 - - When I told my friends and coworkers that I was starting my first MBA classes on July 17, a Sunday, they thought I was crazy. But that was when the Health Sector Management...
The author, her husband and their 2 kids including the kids who are dressed up for Halloween as part of a Fuqua Families Halloween event A Supportive Network for Fuqua Families October 17, 2016 - - Our family first arrived in Durham in July 2015 for the start of my husband’s MBA. I was sitting in a hotel room with our 3-month-old baby and realized that we had no car and no...
students laughing during a classroom lecture, banking to health care Banking to Health Care: The Path Less Traveled October 6, 2016 - - Growing up I always wanted to be a doctor.  So, following this passion and an interest in helping my community, I went to college to study pre-med. However, the more pre-med classes I...
the front of Dell's building in Austin, where I had my MBA internship 6 Ways to Maximize Your MBA Internship September 14, 2016 - - Since graduating in May, I have started my job at Dell in Austin—which is also where my MBA internship was. Recently an MBA from Fuqua who interned in my office this summer asked me to review his...
Me and 2 of the great friends I made during my 2 years at Fuqua Reflecting on 2 Years at Fuqua August 3, 2016 - - It’s hard to believe that I’m now a Fuqua alumna. It seems like such a short time ago that I was making the drive down from Rhode Island to North Carolina to start...
A group shot from the photo session with my Fuqua classmates Your Fuqua Classmates are Everything July 19, 2016 - - I’m still learning how meaningful the relationships with my Fuqua classmates are to me. To be fair, I’m one of the older members of my class. At 33, I’ve probably loathed the long hours more...
our group during a corporate visit where we were networking with alumni Networking with Alumni: The Career Search in California June 17, 2016 - - I remember looking at the calendar for the first two terms of school and thinking how great it was going to be to have fall break between them. But one thing that we learn as...
Hundreds of student gather for Fuqua Friday in The Fox Center, Fuqua's social hub The Fox Center: Fuqua’s Social Hub May 23, 2016 - - A visitor to Fuqua would be forgiven for wondering why the word “fox” is uttered so frequently by students, faculty, and administration alike. A year into my Duke MBA, I could not possibly tell...
Living in Durham there are great races, like the Tar Heel 10 Miler Living in Durham May 9, 2016 - - When I got admitted to Duke, my only doubt was Durham. I had never heard of this city. I thought it was a small town with few things to do, and a place...
My study team who had a lot of practice balancing relationships 3 Tips for Balancing Relationships During Your MBA May 6, 2016 - - During Admissions’ Weekend for Women event for prospective students, the Association of Women in Business (AWIB) hosts several panels. One of them focuses on balancing relationships while pursuing an MBA, and I had...
Your section mates are a big part of the collaborative environment at Fuquaq Benefitting from a Collaborative Environment April 25, 2016 - - Making decisions is hard. Every single thing we choose eliminates all other possibilities. This is life. When deciding which business school was the right place for me, I evaluated several factors. Among them...
Internship at Coca-Cola Preparing for an Internship at Coca-Cola April 11, 2016 - - Building brands and creating great customer experiences has always been my professional passion. One of the reasons I came to Fuqua was to transition from my previous role at a company where brand...
A speaker at the Duke MBA Marketing Conference during day off at Fuqua Wednesdays: Your ‘Day Off’ at Fuqua March 28, 2016 - - One of the unique things about Fuqua is that students don’t have classes on Wednesdays. I thought my first Wednesday off would be a time to work out, cook for the week and...
Student attendees of the SBSI conference pose with Rose Marcario, Patagonia CEO A Supportive MBA Network has Helped Me Grow March 25, 2016 - - The first question each applicant is asked during his or her admissions interview here is typically, “Why Fuqua?” Each one of us has our own reasons, and one is probably the famous Team Fuqua spirit....
Our winning team at the 2016 UNC Social Entrepreneurship Contest How Fuqua Molded Me into an Entrepreneur March 18, 2016 - - A few weeks ago, a number of newly admitted students descended on Fuqua for Blue Devil Weekend. I was reminded that 2 short years ago, I was the newly admitted student trekking to Durham...
preparing a welcome kit for admitted Fuqua MBA student A Week in the Life of a Fuqua MBA Student February 26, 2016 - - Someone recently asked me to describe a typical day as a Fuqua MBA student. One thing I’ve learned over the last 7 months is that days move at lightning speed. Almost every student (myself...
me after completing the Raleigh City of Oaks Marathon during my life at Fuqua Life at Fuqua: Finding Time for the Things You Love February 15, 2016 - - Fall Term 2 for first-year students is a hectic time at Fuqua. My classmates and I took (at least) 4 classes, were involved in several extracurricular activities, and were swamped with internship recruiting. Our calendars...
About Durham: Fuqua Partners having lunch with families at NanaTaco 5 Things About Durham That’ll Surprise You February 4, 2016 - - I was very excited to make the decision and move to the U.S. for my husband’s MBA. When we started the journey of searching and applying for an MBA, Fuqua was one of...
Fuqua students who interned at Genentech during the summer of 2015 - Why an MBA Why an MBA: Our Stories February 2, 2016 - - Connie Chai When I graduated from college, I never thought I would go back to school to pursue my MBA. I had double majored in biology and English, and when I started my...
Students taking a walking tour of Krakow’s main square Leaders of Consequence: Finding the Higher Purpose January 20, 2016 - - A few career paths ago, I was a budding classicist, studying ancient Latin and Greek. It was during those years, I grew to value how much the past can inform our present and...
Experiential Learning, Team-work and Leadership skills at Fuqua Experiential Learning as an MBA Student at Fuqua December 29, 2015 - - As an international student, most of my education followed the traditional classroom learning route where one’s academic success was measured on one’s ability to recall information from memory. During the course of my...
students completing obstacles, challenges and optimizing team performance Overcoming Obstacles and Optimizing Team Performance December 18, 2015 - - Fully clad in gym shorts and multi-colored bandannas, my Consequential Leadership (C-LEAD) team erupted into our emphatic team chant—complete with accompanying dance moves—as we headed into the North Carolina forest for our first...
Catching up on your class reading in the Ford Library is made easy by the Fuqua class schedule Benefits of the Unique Fuqua Class Schedule December 1, 2015 - - A question I often get is, why does Fuqua have Wednesdays off from class? Why not Friday like many other B-schools? Once you understand how valuable the midweek break is to your schedule...
Recent Duke Fuqua alumni shared their mentorship program experiences with current MBA students Taking the Mentorship Program to the Entire Daytime MBA Community November 24, 2015 - - Seeing the success of the small scale mentorship programs run by some of Fuqua’s student clubs, Jennifer Kim and I saw an opportunity to team up with the Development and Alumni Relations department...
My family - being a parent while completing an MBA Being a Parent While Completing an MBA November 12, 2015 - - “Mama, someday I’ll be in the hundredth grade, just like you!” When my 5-year-old son heard that I was starting school, I’m sure he was picturing recess, snacks, and nap time. I was...
A Duke welcome sign greets admitted Duke Fuqua MBA students during Blue Devil Weekend Why Visiting Fuqua and Attending Blue Devil Weekend is Invaluable November 12, 2015 - - Although I have been at Fuqua for only a few months—a short time frame by most business school standards—I feel like I have made the best decision of my life. I initially applied to the...
working in teams during Team Challenge day for Duke Fuqua MBAs Working in Teams Makes Anything Possible October 27, 2015 - - “I can’t do it,” I thought. I looked at how the rest of my team, about 12 people, headed up the ladders in pairs and started walking on the high ropes course—which to...
My house-building team for Durham's Habitat for Humanity - How Fuqua helps you prepare for the MBA experience 3 Ways Global Institute Helps You Prepare for the MBA Experience October 15, 2015 - - Global Institute, or GI as it is affectionately known among students, occurs in early August. It’s a 4-week block of coursework, teamwork, career, and leadership development that kicks off and helps you prepare...
LGBT students from Fuqua's supportive MBA community gathered to watch the North Carolina Pride Parade Admissions Event Showcases a Supportive Community for LGBT Students October 8, 2015 - - I was already sold on the Fuqua community as I entered the throes of MBA admissions last fall. But one looming—and important—question remained: as a gay male from Southern California, would I have...
using a power tool saw while volunteering for Habitat for Humanity - What I Learned at Fuqua Consequential Power Tools: What I Learned at Fuqua in My First Month October 5, 2015 - - His name was Bill. “Just follow the line and keep ‘er steady,” he suggested in an expert southern drawl as he handed over the bright yellow Dewalt portable table saw. Right. It’s that...
starting my MBA journey with fellow Israeli students at Duke Fuqua Starting My MBA Journey October 1, 2015 - - The Road to Fuqua As an international student, the anticipation of starting my MBA journey at Fuqua was huge. Even before school started, I had met more than 10 Israeli alumni and/or students in...
Fuqua's Duke Daytime MBA Health Sector Management (HSM) student fellows Students Have Input in the Health Sector Management Program October 1, 2015 - - Liz Meinert, a dedicated Health Sector Management (HSM) student from the Class of 2015, developed the idea of an HSM Fellowship in her first year at Fuqua. She felt that fellows would strengthen...
measuring rice for meals - the community at Duke Fuqua serves people in need through efforts like the annual Stop Hunger Now event Fuqua Serves During Fifth Annual Stop Hunger Now Event September 28, 2015 - - On September 25, Fuqua Friday was transformed from simply a social gathering to an event with a social impact. Over 400 members of the Fuqua community convened in the Fox Center to take...
Fuqua Admissions Officer Russell Davis presents at an Information Session in Seoul - Daytime MBA application changes 3 Daytime MBA Application Changes August 28, 2015 - - I have been in Admissions at Fuqua for almost 10 years, and I have to say that the start of a new application year is always exciting. Who will I meet through the...
get togethers like this with my fellow returned Peace Corps volunteers is one way Fuqua helps the transition from Peace Corps to an MBA at Duke Transitioning from the Peace Corps to an MBA and How Fuqua Helps August 20, 2015 - - When you meet your new classmates at Fuqua, the usual first question you get is, “where did you move here from?” Although most of my classmates had fairly straightforward answers—Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Buenos...
With local on a beach in Madagascar - How Peace Corps Experience Benefits MBA Academics and Recruiting, from Fuqua's Duke MBA student blog Peace Corps Experience Benefits MBA Academics and Recruiting August 20, 2015 - - One of the best realizations I’ve had during my Duke MBA career is just how much my Peace Corps service has benefited me in my studies and career recruiting. Although it may not seem...
group photo of students - Duke Daytime MBA alumnus on how Fuqua helped him transition from science to business 3 Ways Fuqua Helped Me Transition from Science to Business August 19, 2015 - - I started my career in science prior to attending the MBA program at Fuqua, working as a lab researcher at the National Institutes of Health in Maryland. During that time, I dabbled in...
Iron Chef competition at Fuqua Culinary Talent on Display During ‘Iron Chef’ Competition at Fuqua August 12, 2015 - - Throughout my first year in Duke’s MBA program, I was constantly surprised by the many amazing talents of my classmates. The Culinary Club’s ‘Iron Chef’ competition at Fuqua certainly showcased those of the kitchen...
Duke Fuqua MBA students study in China China Serves as a Classroom for MBA Students July 21, 2015 - - 读万卷书不如行万里路 The Chinese proverb above says “reading 10,000 books is not as effective as traveling 10,000 kilometers.” Fortunately for nearly 25-percent of Fuqua’s Daytime MBA Class of 2016, they were not forced to...
Duke Fuqua's Steve Dalton presenting to students on the MBA career search About the Career Management Center July 20, 2015 - - A few years ago, Fuqua’s Career Management Center (CMC) went through a significant re-organization as part of a broader effort to better align the school’s strategy, resources, and activities. As a result, the...
Duke Fuqua's strong Latin American community Take Advantage of Our Strong Latin American Community July 15, 2015 - - If you’re a Latin American thinking about business school, I can tell you that pursuing an MBA abroad is a life-changing experience that will open your eyes in ways you have never imagined....
Fuqua Application Insight - 25 Random Things Fuqua Application Insight: Our 25 Random Things July 7, 2015 - - For the last several years, Fuqua’s MBA application has included the essay question that asks you to provide 25 random things about yourself—essentially 25 interesting facts. That question is back for the 2015-2016...
Celebrating the principles of Team Fuqua The Principles of Team Fuqua: Spring 2015 Honorees July 7, 2015 - - We are excited to continue the initiative that highlights and celebrates the students within our community who make extraordinary contributions to Team Fuqua. After collecting nominations from the Daytime MBA student body, a group...
Duke Fuqua MBA students provide career support to veterans An Entrepreneurial Spirit: Students Launch an Organization to Help Veterans June 30, 2015 - - One of the best aspects of Fuqua is the entrepreneurial spirit that exists among the student body. We are quickly entrusted to make this school better than how we found it. Be it...
Duke Fuqua: More than 100 MBAs Gain Experience in China at the Great Wall More than 100 MBAs Gain Experience in China June 24, 2015 - - Since I started at Duke, I heard several good stories and reviews about the Global Academic Travel Experience (GATE) that allows MBAs to gain experience in China. Students from the prior year surely...
Duke Fuqua Daytime MBA students on exchange in Argentina An International Experience in Fuqua’s Exchange Program June 18, 2015 - - Going abroad to study in Argentina as part of Fuqua’s student exchange program was an incredible experience, allowing me to spend time living like a local and practicing Spanish. Here are some of...
HP CEO Meg Whitman chatting with Duke Fuqua Dean Bill Boulding Top Tech CEOs Share Leadership Perspective with Fuqua Students June 9, 2015 - - Fuqua students have high aspirations to make an impact on the world, and this environment provides numerous opportunities to make the business school experience transformational. The Distinguished Speakers Series (DSS) at Fuqua is...
Duke Fuqua MBA students in Israel Trekking through Israel—The Trip of a Lifetime May 28, 2015 - - Each spring break Fuqua’s second-year Israeli students lead ‘iTrek,’ a trip to Israel. Since learning about the historical significance and political challenges of the Middle East during my freshman year of high school,...
The Duke MBA Class of 2016, Section 1 Transitioning from Public Relations to Fuqua and What I Learned Along the Way May 7, 2015 - - Before starting my last six-week term as a first year student at Fuqua, I had an opportunity to catch my breath during the two-week spring break and reflect on my experience over the...
One Fuqua Family Team Fuqua Embraces Inclusion April 21, 2015 - - On April 1, like so many in our community, I woke to news of what I hoped was just a cruel April Fools’ Day joke: a noose found hanging from a tree in...
Orientation at Fuqua for the Class of 2016 My First Year at Fuqua April 21, 2015 - - We are three weeks away from finishing the academic year, and I have a lot of mixed feelings about what my first year at Fuqua has been. In my first day at business...
Duke Asian Business Conference team Highlights from the 2015 Duke Asia Business Conference April 14, 2015 - - The Duke University Asia Business Conference is a university-wide conference held at Fuqua that aims to educate participating students and professionals on the evolving business opportunities in Asian markets. Distinguished business leaders from...
U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez being interviewed at the 2015 SBSI Conference by Kevin Trapani, CEO of The Redwoods Group How Fuqua Helps Students Make an Impact April 9, 2015 - - In February, Fuqua hosted the 10th annual Sustainable Business & Social Impact (SBSI) conference, and it served as a great reminder for the reasons I choose Duke more than two years ago. The...
Students chatting in the Fox Center in between interviews Recruiting Made Easy with the Help of Team Fuqua March 31, 2015 - - It’s hard to believe that I’m in the last term of my first year. The year really has flown by, and while academics and extracurricular activities have been a large part of the...
Fuqua MBA students visit eBay Tech Trek Opens Doors to Major West Coast Companies March 4, 2015 - - One of the major advantages of pursuing an MBA at a globally-recognized institution such as Duke is the fact that when recruiting season kicks off, you are welcomed by all different sectors across...
Professor Cathy Clark Investing for a Social and Environmental Impact February 17, 2015 - - Fuqua has excellent resources for anyone interested in impact investing. To those of you for whom this might be a new term, impact investments are defined as those which are “made into companies,...
Student participate in the Deloitte kickball team Alumni Myth Busting: 4 Things About the Fuqua Experience February 12, 2015 - - I’m baaaacck. You may remember me from such then-student blog posts as “What You Need to Know Before Starting B-School” and “The Unofficial 5-Step Path to Leadership Success at Fuqua.” While Fuqua made...
CASE - Professor Cathy Clark Fuqua Faculty: Thought Leaders in their Fields February 3, 2015 - - It is not by chance that Fuqua has ranked consistently as best faculty among business schools. The school draws faculty members from around the world who have in-depth experience that cuts across all...
Our founding trio with Marilyn Fedak Adam Smith and J.B. Fuqua—Champions of the Free Enterprise System January 29, 2015 - - “What effects do the Federal Reserve and European Central Bank interest rate policies have in the developing world?” “What are the economic consequences of unprecedented monetary expansion to U.S. businesses?” “What happens when...
Dozens of alumni return each year for the weekend I Chose Fuqua: How the Minority Workshop Helped January 28, 2015 - - As an underrepresented minority, choosing a place to invest two years of my life and personal development meant choosing a school that values my unique experience and creates a sense of community around...
A group of students at McKesson in San Francisco Exploring Health Care Careers on the West Coast January 20, 2015 - - After a jam-packed Fall Term 1, we had a week off for Fall Break. One of the options during Fall Break is to travel with fellow Fuqua students on company treks called Week-in-Cities....
Health Care Club setting the stage for a discussion panel Time for a Check-Up: Curing Health Care Through Innovation January 20, 2015 - - One of the most exciting events that the Health Care Club hosts is its annual conference. The November 2014 conference focused on innovation, and I had the chance to listen to two discussion...
Johnson and Johnson products Marketing in Action: Behind the Scenes with Johnson & Johnson January 15, 2015 - - Everyone knows it is not the best idea to go to the grocery store hungry. You run in for milk and come out with a cart full of snacks that were not on...
The peaceful Gili Islands How to Build Your Own Adventure January 12, 2015 - - To GATE or not to GATE? That simple question about Fuqua’s Global Academic Travel Experience haunted me for days. I had an amazing time in South Africa with FCCP and definitely wanted to...
Professor Shane Dikolli Making the Most of Elective Classes January 5, 2015 - - One of the reasons that I was attracted to Fuqua was because of its shorter, six-week terms and the ability to quickly get an overview of general business concepts before diving into elective...
Fuqua Circle So You’re on the Waitlist… December 29, 2014 - - Editor’s note: Emily is the author of this post, and she’s awesome. But even awesome people can’t field dozens of questions from prospective students years after they’ve graduated. So, if you’re a waitlisted...
Fuqua classroom Reflection on the Completion of Fall Term 1 December 17, 2014 - - Greetings, and I hope you are well! This is my first post and I’d like to start with a word of encouragement. You are most likely in some part of the MBA application...
Students Serving the Community December 10, 2014 - - On a Friday in October, 250 students from Fuqua and the greater Duke graduate school community, together with faculty and staff, packed over 50,000 meal bags for Stop Hunger Now, a local non-profit....
Duke's Sanford School of Public Policy is across the street from Fuqua The Best of Both Worlds: Why I Chose Duke’s MPP/MBA Program November 24, 2014 - - When I decided to go back to grad school, I wasn’t sure which program to enroll in. Coming from the nonprofit sector, I knew that I eventually wanted to manage a large nonprofit...
Our team was challenged to climb the wall at Triangle Training Center Experiential Learning Starts Immediately November 10, 2014 - - In developing ‘leaders of consequence,’ Fuqua not only relies on its world class curriculum, but also depends on extensive experiential learning. As part of our C-LEAD (Consequential Leadership) course in our first term,...
Latin American Students networking after corporate event. The Growth of Latin American Recruiting November 10, 2014 - - Through the economic growth experienced in the last decade, Latin America has seen an increase in demand for MBAs, and U.S. schools are the main target for applicants. Students from the region have...
Flags in mallway at Fuqua - Religious Diversity all faith Supporting Religious Diversity at Fuqua November 5, 2014 - - There are a lot of factors that prospective students consider as they decide on an MBA program. However, there was one factor that ranked high on my list that I didn’t find mentioned...
The flags in the hallways at Fuqua represent our diverse student population Thank You Tim Cook October 31, 2014 - - Yesterday, the number of openly gay CEOs of publicly traded companies went up by 50%. That’s because it went up by one. Let me repeat: That’s because it went up by one. Despite...
My team atop Table Mountain after the morning hike MBA Skills Put to Work—Consulting in South Africa October 27, 2014 - - I spent spring break of my first year applying my MBA skills to an international consulting project in South Africa! The experience was part of the Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum or FCCP, a...
Students with Orientation Welcome signs The Perfect Business School for Me October 25, 2014 - - When I decided that I wanted to pursue an MBA, I had it clear in my mind that I wanted four things: a collaborative environment; a location that suited my personality; a strong...
Fuqua students enjoying lunch Lunches of Consequence October 21, 2014 - - During the second week of Global Institute, one of my classmates came up with the idea for each person in our section to have lunch with a new and randomly assigned person each...
Dean Russ Morgan (center in white t-shirt) taking the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge with students Orientation and Realizing the Value of ‘Fit’ October 15, 2014 - - A few months back, I was a prospective student eagerly reading each blog to understand my ‘fit’ with Fuqua. And, now I am a Fuqua student writing a blog that will be read...
Students volunteering for Habitat for Humanity Why I Chose Fuqua October 14, 2014 - - As a proud Duke alumna, there was never any doubt in my mind that I would consider Fuqua when I was thinking about pursuing an MBA. I had a wonderful experience during my...
From the Moment I Set Foot on Fuqua’s Campus, I Felt the Team – Part Two September 24, 2014 - - Rachael Lambert, alumna and MBAA Vice President from the Class of 2014 interviews Simon Moore-Crouch, alumnus and MBAA President from the Class of 2014. Read part one of her blog post here. Rachael:...
Two of the friends I made during Weekend for Women Great People & Experiences at Fuqua’s Weekend for Women September 17, 2014 - - Weekend for Women (W4W) is hosted each fall by Fuqua’s Office of Admissions, and it’s kind of like summer camp, but on hyperdrive. You’ll be surrounded by other women who are exploring The...
Members of the 2013-2014 MBAA Cabinet express the six paired principles of Team Fuqua From the Moment I Set Foot on Fuqua’s Campus, I Felt the Team – Part One September 16, 2014 - - My first visit to Duke University came during Open Interviews in the early fall of 2011. Being a native West Coaster I was hesitant to consider schools in the Southeast. I assumed a...
The paired principles are displayed on a wall in Fuqua's Keller Center East building The Principles of Team Fuqua September 16, 2014 - - As Associate Dean for the Duke MBA Daytime program, it’s one of my great privileges to work with student leaders on initiatives in our culture and community, which we call Team Fuqua. Our...
Takeaways from the Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum September 5, 2014 - - Every year, Fuqua offers students the opportunity to participate in experiential learning opportunities through the Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP). It allows us to take the skills we learn in the classroom and...
Annual Report Digs Into Duke MBA Hiring Trends August 22, 2014 - - Every year Fuqua pulls together employment data that confirms our continued status as a top-tier business school. But before our 2013-2014 final report is published later this fall, I wanted to share some...
Graduation day Looking Back on Two Years of Growth and Fun August 18, 2014 - - Sadly, it’s over. After two amazing years, I’ve now officially graduated. It’s funny to think that three years ago I was contemplating whether to apply to schools in Europe that offered 1-year MBA...
A group of students in the Fox Center A Day in the Life of a First-Year MBA July 22, 2014 - - What does the typical day of an MBA student look like? That’s one of the biggest questions I had as I was preparing to enroll at Fuqua. I had heard snippets from current...
How You Know You’ve Become a Second-Year Student July 15, 2014 - - When half of the faces at Fuqua are unfamiliar, it means that a new first-year class has arrived – you’re a Second Year now. When you can decide how many and which courses...
On the Waitlist? Be Prepared. July 7, 2014 - - It’s that time of the year again. The Daytime MBA Class of 2016 is preparing to arrive on campus, and those of you on the waitlist are patiently waiting for news from our...
Achieving Success Deliberately with the Personal Development Plan June 2, 2014 - - Fuqua is full of opportunities. These two years are a time of growth and development beyond what you’ve ever before experienced, with multiple avenues and roads to take you to new places. However,...
mba student washing dishes Fuqua Study Abroad – Lessons from the Farm May 16, 2014 - - Just like 1/3 of the 2014 class, I returned from a term abroad and jumped back into the Fuqua swing of things for Spring 2. Upon coming back to Durham, I was surprised...
From Soldier to Student to Student Leader May 7, 2014 - - Being a Leader of Consequence…in China Business school is as much about the journey as it is about the ultimate destination. To that end, over the last 10 months, my classmates and I...
Judicial Representatives for the Daytime MBA Program, Maria McLemore and Bering Tsang. The Fuqua Honor Code: Building Leaders of Consequence through Uncompromising Integrity April 24, 2014 - - Fuqua is one of the most diverse business schools in the world. Students represent different countries and cultures, and have a wide array of professional backgrounds and future goals. As students, they embrace...
Front entrace to Fuqua School Putting the Network to Work April 17, 2014 - - Recruiting season is here! For first-year students, the last 10+ weeks have been a flurry of networking, cover letter revisions, and resume tweaks in preparation for summer internships “drops.” Second-year students have been...
MBA students and prospects Coffee Chats in Latin America – A “Must” in Your Application Process April 10, 2014 - - During January and February, Fuqua students hosted coffee chats throughout cities in Latin America, including Montevideo (Uruguay), Lima (Peru), Santiago (Chile), Mexico City (Mexico), and Buenos Aires (Argentina). The events were organized and...
Durham, North Carolina If you like ___________, you’ll love Durham! March 27, 2014 - - As a second year with only two months left in Durham (after returning from studying abroad in Singapore), I realize that there are quite a few things about this city that I’m going...
2014 Duke SBSI Conference logo Shaping the Future Through Innovation: 2014 SBSI Conference March 26, 2014 - - “The show must go on!” Despite what was an epic snowstorm for the area, the 2014 Duke Sustainable and Social Impact Conference (SBSI) was held in February at The Fuqua School of Business....
Indian Student Perspectives: How Business School Can Help You Find the Right Job in the U.S. March 21, 2014 - - I have spent the last three years chatting often with potential business school students from India as director of the region for Fuqua. Again and again, I heard candidates say much of the...
The Leadership Cohort Experience: Learning About Leadership Alongside C-Level Management March 19, 2014 - - One of the (many) ways in which Fuqua sets itself apart as an MBA program is the focus on leadership development, evident through its mantra to mold, shape and empower “leaders of consequence.”...
Durham Food Tour – Part 1 March 16, 2014 - - As a former cupcake princess and absolute foodie at heart, I was definitely excited to move to the South’s Tastiest Town. Here are my current Durham cravings: Lilly’s Pizza is my favorite pizza place...
MBA student in Kenya A Very International MBA Experience March 14, 2014 - - What do China, Kenya, Tanzania, Chile, and Mexico all have in common? They’ve all been a part of my experience at business school. Fuqua has long billed itself as an international business program,...
Fuqua students who were interning at Urban Planet Preparing for a Career in Corporate Strategy March 12, 2014 - - I can’t believe I am less than two terms, or 12 weeks, away from graduation. Not surprisingly, I find myself reflecting on my time at school and what I have accomplished. I came...
Student at Fuqua's Healthcare Conference Health Sector Management (HSM) Highlights in Fall 1 and 2 March 7, 2014 - - Greetings prospective HSMers! Fall Terms 1 and 2 were a busy and exciting time in the Health Sector Management (HSM) program, with weekly academic seminars, the November healthcare conference, and the December Town...
Visiting Ganyard Hill Farms, October's Fuqua Family outing A Partner Perspective on Fuqua March 4, 2014 - - The MBA experience is a wild ride. For two short years, students are engulfed in a whirlwind of learning, recruiting, and networking, all in pursuit of their dreams. To ensure success in the...
Consequential Leadership Teams Embody Fuqua’s Diversity February 14, 2014 - - Did you know that about 40 percent of Fuqua’s Class of 2015 (440 students) are international? I think this probably makes Fuqua one of the most diverse business schools in the U.S. That...
6 Random Things About Me February 13, 2014 - - When evaluating business schools to apply to, I was actually first drawn to the Fuqua application because of the 25 Random Things essay. I thought this essay question really differentiated Fuqua from the...
Fuqua Community Helped Me Redefine Failure & Success February 4, 2014 - - Many times in my life, I have been challenged. Many times, I have made mistakes. Many times, I have experienced failure. Now, reflecting on my time in business school, I realize that many...
fly fishing Fuqua has the Ingredients for a Transformational Journey January 31, 2014 - - Two years ago I was a sitting at my desk, working for one of the leading investment banks in Chile. I had recently been appointed to Senior Associate, and I was enjoying a...
Front entrance to the Fuqua School of Business Application Tips and My “25 Random Things” January 23, 2014 - - I am Shu Hong, a second-year Duke Daytime MBA student at Fuqua and a China Admissions Ambassador for this year. Working closely with Admissions and coordinating interviews in China brings back memories of...
MBA Networking session in Fuqua's Fox Center during lunch Thursday: A Day in the Life of a Fuqua MBA Student January 16, 2014 - - About this time last year, I remember wondering what day-to-day life would be like as an MBA student. Current students told me their days were packed with classes, speakers, and recruiting events. Still,...
women in business conference Being a Woman at Fuqua is a Beautiful Thing January 15, 2014 - - Recently in the media, there has been quite a buzz about being a woman in business school, thanks to the New York Times’ article about Harvard Business School and its policies regarding gender...
Fuqua Focuses More on the Business of Energy January 6, 2014 - - As Co-President of the Duke MBA Energy Club and a second-year MBA student with a passion for energy finance, I was thrilled to see two exciting developments occur this past summer. First, energy...
Fuqua students inside Clif Bar’s headquarters in Emeryville, California. Week-in-Cities with MBA Net Impact Club January 3, 2014 - - Many of Fuqua’s student-run clubs organize “Week-in-Cities” trips to different regions of the country to network with businesses and alumni. As a cabinet member of the Net Impact Club, I had the pleasure...
Fuqua Daytime MBA students at Triangle Training Center Climbing Walls: The Fuqua MBA Journey of Personal Growth January 2, 2014 - - It all started with this assignment: Take about 70 men and women, from all over the world, from many different backgrounds, with widely (and wildly!) varying levels of athleticism, and get them to...
Week-in-Cities: An Integral Part of MBA Recruiting Process December 27, 2013 - - One of the best pieces of advice I can give you to prepare for your MBA experience is to get used to acronyms. Apparently, MBA students are so busy that we don’t have...
A Season for Sharing December 16, 2013 - - If you’ve heard it once, you’ve likely heard it several times: Fuqua is a student-run community. This means not only that students are wholly responsible for club and MBA Association operations, but also...
My 4 Months of Summer December 12, 2013 - - Before my summer becomes too distant of a memory, I wanted to give a brief recap of the 4 months between my first and second year at Fuqua. May Day 1: No school, no...
25 Random Things About Me December 4, 2013 - - By far, my favorite application essay to write was Fuqua’s “25 Random Things About Me.” However, I was surprised to talk to other applicants and hear how difficult many found the essay to...
mba student interns A Fuquan in Consulting November 26, 2013 - - There’s no mention of consulting in my Fuqua application essays. I think I said I was going to graduate and open up a zero-waste resort on an island powered by renewable energy. While...
the Duke Fuqua Office of Admissions sign, why mba Shedding Light on the MBA Admissions Process November 25, 2013 - - If I met you out on the road or at one of our campus events, you’re likely to have heard me talk about the “black box” of Admissions. Applications go into the box,...
mba students on army base MBAs + Military Training = Operation Blue Devil November 25, 2013 - - Integrity. Courage. Perseverance. Personal Responsibility. Professionalism. Adaptability. Team Player. Capability. What do all of these values have in common? They are the Army’s Special Operations Forces attributes, which define the military volunteers who...
Love at First Visit: MBA Workshop for Minority Applicants November 22, 2013 - - When I visited Duke’s campus around this same time last November, it was raining and a bit cold. The weather was much nicer than in New York City, but being surrounded by nature...
Weekend for Women Event Reaches 10-Year Anniversary November 13, 2013 - - A year ago, my life was very different: I was living in New York City, putting in long hours at work during the day, and working on B-school applications and studying for the...
Social Impact Meets Business Conference November 13, 2013 - - I have a confession to make—I like the taste of insects. OK, so it’s not quite the same thing as eating an ant off the ground, but I recently had a snack bar...
Keller Center at the Fuqua School of Business I Chose Fuqua to Find My Dream Job November 7, 2013 - - One of my passions is contributing to the development of others. I am driven by the opportunity to show someone who thinks they are “average” how much potential they have to achieve more,...
Symposium Helps Veterans Transition to Business School November 6, 2013 - - I am a second-year Daytime MBA student and currently serve as the president of the Duke MBA Armed Forces Association (DAFA). Prior to Fuqua, I graduated from West Point in 2007, served for...
Random Things About Me November 4, 2013 - - We’re in the midst of application season and seeing the prospective students touring Fuqua and visiting classes brought back memories of when I applied to school. Fuqua’s random facts application essay is one...
Fuqua Bucket List November 4, 2013 - - Everyone says that time flies in business school — this is true — but you don’t understand or believe it until you experience it for yourself. In addition, you are so busy (even...
Photo Journal: Week-in-Cities, Seattle November 1, 2013 - - I took advantage of the recent Fall Break to unwind after a demanding Term 1, and I embarked on the Week-in-Cities trek to Seattle. Fuqua offers Week-in-Cities trips during school breaks as an...
Fuqua Student Orientation The Top 10 Reasons I Chose Fuqua October 23, 2013 - - If you’re in the process of deciding which school to attend — or even apply to — you probably have a list to help in your selection process. Perhaps it’s a pro/con list,...
Coming Together to Help the Hungry October 17, 2013 - - Being a Leader of Consequence is so much more than excelling in accounting or operations or communication. In and of themselves, those are just components or tools to be employed — they are...
Welcoming signs to the beginning of orientation Why I Chose an MBA October 14, 2013 - - The answer is complicated when I am asked, “why an MBA at Fuqua?” I’m often asked why I decided to leave a career in the military and government that—by all metrics—was successful and...
Favorite Experience at Fuqua So Far: HSM Boot Camp October 12, 2013 - - I moved to Durham on Saturday, July 20, and started the Health Sector Management (HSM) boot camp on Sunday. The boot camp was a quick transition back to school, and the perfect way...
MBA Conference for LGBT Students Makes an Impact October 7, 2013 - - After the honeymoon of Orientation and Global Institute, Fall Term 1 hit me like a wall of bricks last year. Gone were the days of reading cases by the pool, margarita in hand,...
A Taste of Durham September 26, 2013 - - I was very skeptical about moving to Durham from New York. But two years later, I don’t want to leave! Of course, I missed the accessibility and 24/7 nature of the Big Apple...
My Top Fuqua Memories September 13, 2013 - - Apologies for the delay in getting you a blog update. As the last term of Fuqua took over in March and April, I wanted to make sure I took advantage of every last...
Reflections on My Fuqua MBA August 16, 2013 - - 1 Degree Obtained (MBA!) 2 Concentrations (Financial Analysis and Management) 11 Countries Visited (Argentina, Panama, China, Taiwan, Israel, Peru, Belize, Austria, Hungary, Switzerland, and France) 27 Classes + CLEAD I and II and...
mba student with son Earning an MBA as a New Mom August 13, 2013 - - In May 2013 I finished my MBA at Fuqua. I cannot believe how fast time flew by. Two years earlier, I arrived in the Durham area with a 2-month old baby. I remember...
4 Resources for Prospective Students August 7, 2013 - - It is an exciting time in Durham. After a bout of damp weather, the summer is in full swing here, and more notably with the recent orientation for Fuqua’s Daytime class of 2015,...
Applying to U.S. Business Schools from the Middle East August 1, 2013 - - A True/False Exam What do the GMAT, GPAs and VISA requirements have in common? Well, the answer could be many things, but for the sake of this blog, these are three areas that...
It’s the Final Countdown! July 16, 2013 - - 25 Things I Wish I Knew Before August 1 Hello Class of 2015!! I hope you’re all getting incredibly excited to start a two-year journey of personal growth, academic rigor, and awesome theme...
Consequential Leadership and What it Means for our Students July 5, 2013 - - “Consequential Leadership,” “Leaders of Consequence,” and “LOC” are very familiar phrases for most Fuqua students. A large part of the transformational experience at Fuqua relates to students enhancing their abilities to act as...
Oh, the Places You’ll Go … With your MBA Classmates July 3, 2013 - - Looking back on my MBA, the word “journey” is appropriate for describing the last two years. There has been a lot of travel — some of it transcendental and much of it physical....
Tips for Waitlisted Applicants June 26, 2013 - - You have sent updates on changes in job status, new test scores, additional coursework, and community activities. You are in regular contact with your waitlist counselor. You have done everything possible to enhance...
Family Matters: Getting an MBA as a Parent June 21, 2013 - - I am Liz Charles, a mother of four children and a recent Daytime MBA graduate. Before Fuqua, I worked as a registered nurse for Kaiser Permanente in Denver, Colorado. When my youngest son...
Gaining New Perspectives at TEDxDuke June 18, 2013 - - A couple months ago, I had the awesome opportunity to attend a TEDx event — TEDxDuke! Having watched numerous TED talks online during the last couple of years, I really wanted to attend a...
Africa Makes an Impact June 11, 2013 - - During spring break, I spent 2 weeks in South Africa with 38 classmates. Our trip was part of the Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum, which is a 6-credit course. We went to South Africa...
Career Management & the Job Search: What to Expect June 5, 2013 - - As Fuqua’s latest graduates begin their first assignments out of business school, I thought I would highlight some of the insights, trends, and best practices in MBA recruiting and employment, so that you...
Innovation & Entrepreneurship in Action May 23, 2013 - - Some of my MBA classmates have a traditional career path in mind, and others are passionate about creating their own business or organization. The Program for Entrepreneurs (P4E) provides those students with a...
Gaining Insight on Business in India May 21, 2013 - - If you follow this blog regularly, you have probably read about some of the recent events that the student body has organized, including Fuqua Idol, Dancing with the Faculty, etc. It’s difficult to...
And Fuqua’s Best Supporting Role Goes To . . . May 17, 2013 - - As classes were winding down, I began catching up on my neglected Netflix subscription, and I realized that I just was not ready to give up the student lifestyle. Consequently, I revisited many...
Done Already? May 16, 2013 - - When I began receiving emails regarding graduation, I couldn’t believe that the big day was approaching. In fact, I remember that my heart nearly jumped out of my chest when I first saw...
Busting Some Moves with the Faculty May 6, 2013 - - Last fall, I was thinking out loud with my fellow cabinet members of the Arts @ Fuqua Club: “Wouldn’t it be awesome to do our own version of Dancing with the Stars?” Well,...
A Personal Leadership Resolution May 3, 2013 - - It’s easy to fall into the trap of just going through the motions as an MBA student and making it a very “transactional” period in our lives. In retrospect, I have made the...
Study Abroad in Africa – The Academic Experience May 1, 2013 - - In my previous post, I spoke briefly about studying abroad in Cape Town, and I’d like to describe the academic experience in more detail … because despite all the travel and fun my...
Sports in Durham April 30, 2013 - - I am not a die-hard sports fan by any means, but I enjoy going to sporting events a few times a year, and this was something that I considered when moving to Durham....
Lessons from Latin America April 29, 2013 - - What an AMAZING trip! I recently got back from my first trip to South America. During spring break, I went there with 25 of my classmates as part of the Global Academic Travel...
Fuqua on Board April 26, 2013 - - This is the final week of the MBA for me. Looking back, one of the most memorable experiences has definitively been Fuqua on Board (FoB) in which I participated throughout my two years...
My Top 3 Questions about the MBA Admissions Waitlist April 19, 2013 - - The waitlist seems like purgatory — trust me, I know! I applied during the second Daytime MBA admission round last year, and was placed on the waitlist for 82 days (not that I...
Three Months Abroad April 18, 2013 - - I just returned from 3 months abroad. I did an exchange program at the University of Cape Town, in South Africa. At first I was very apprehensive about missing the first spring term,...
The Unofficial 5-Step Path to Leadership Success at Fuqua April 15, 2013 - - While salaries and job statistics are quantifiable metrics that allow prospective students to compare business schools, how can you tell if a school will make you a better leader? There isn’t a metric...
Optional Concentrations Tie Into My Interests April 12, 2013 - - Coming into Fuqua, aside from the core class requirements, I planned to take classes that really interested me or would be useful for my upcoming internship and future career. This led me to...
Organizing Fuqua’s First Global Week April 10, 2013 - - Now that I’m just a few weeks away from graduation, I’m thinking about the experiences I have had during this amazing MBA adventure. In less than 2 years I moved to a different...
I Love Spring April 8, 2013 - - … and I’ll tell you why: No Recruiting! I wrote about my very hectic recruiting experience this year, and I’m pleased to report that it all paid off. I’m going to work at...
Fuqua Clout Supports Sustainability Conference April 4, 2013 - - Fuqua is run by students, which works better here than in Lord of the Flies. All around, throughout the week, there are events of every variety, sponsored by student clubs ranging from luxury...
Things I Love About Business School, Especially Fuqua April 1, 2013 - - I am in a reflective mood. I am now 7.5 terms (including Global Institute) done with my Fuqua MBA, with 1 to go. In all facets, this has been a great 2 years....
Not an Average Ski Trip March 27, 2013 - - During the second week of Spring Break (yes, we get two weeks off, which is another thing I LOVE about this school!), 40 first-year and second-year students travelled to Park City, Utah, for...
25 Things About Me March 19, 2013 - - Fuqua’s final application deadline for the Daytime program is in a couple days! So, in the spirit of essay writing, I wanted to give this year’s new essay a try. I actually love...
Turning Leadership Development from a Transactional Experience to a Transformational Journey March 19, 2013 - - Anyone who has ever had a conversation with Professor Joe LeBoeuf will most certainly walk away with a renewed sense of urgency to become a better leader and leave his/her mark on Fuqua...
An Hour of Inspiration from the Etsy CEO March 12, 2013 - - The other week, I heard an inspiring presentation by a man who took his hard-earned Duke undergrad degree and leveraged his newfound alumni network to score the job of a lifetime—pizza delivery guy....
A Global Experience in Durham March 11, 2013 - - There are lots of diverse clubs at Fuqua with an international or regional focus, and for the first time, we put our resources together for one week in January. We created Global Week...
How to Decide on a B-School? Visit! March 8, 2013 - - Acceptance letters are being sent out and future students are making tough decisions. Do I want to live in city X or city Y? How do I compare school X and school Y?...
All on Board March 7, 2013 - - One of my favorite activities that I’ve become involved with here is Fuqua on Board. The program is run by Duke’s Center for Advanced Social Entrepreneurship (CASE), and is a terrific way for...
The Interview Rush March 6, 2013 - - School started up again in mid January after nearly a month off. Since then, to be completely honest, I’m not sure whether I’ve been here first as a student or as a job...
25 Things About Me March 4, 2013 - - My favorite foods are French fries and ice cream (see #4). I have no first cousins; both of my parents are only children. I am not a big beer drinker, but I have...
Knowing Yourself is Key to Success in the Job Search March 1, 2013 - - Losing focus is one of the most common phenomenons observed among MBA students. We spread ourselves too thin as we try to take advantage of all academic, extracurricular, and career opportunities. To avoid...
Alumnus Enhances the Learning Experience February 28, 2013 - - A Conversation with a Committed Leader I believe Fuqua’s ambition to create “leaders of consequence” is best illustrated by showing a living example. Warren Farr (Daytime MBA ’93) is an alumnus who is...
A Day at Fuqua… February 21, 2013 - - I once heard a Fuqua visitor say, “Fuqua seems like an airport. It is always bustling with activity,” to which I immediately quipped, “Perhaps, but busier.” Personally, my 20 academic weeks at Fuqua...
When is the Right Time for Business School? February 8, 2013 - - Tips for Chinese students Interested in business school but not sure when and where to apply? Do you feel you have enough work experience to now take the plunge into the world of...
Blue Devil Weekend 2015 It’s Blue Devil Weekend! February 8, 2013 - - You’re in!!! Welcome, Duke MBA class of 2015!!! This weekend, a little over 100 admitted students will be joining us from all over the world for the Duke MBA Blue Devil Weekend (BDW)....
25 Random Things You Should Know About Me February 7, 2013 - - In case you haven’t heard, there’s a question in the MBA application that asks for 25 random things about applicants. So, here’s my list of very random things: My family was unable to travel...
Increasing my Impact with the Duke MBA February 6, 2013 - - In the past few weeks, we’ve received email reminders about graduation requirements to make sure everyone’s on track to walk across that stage and shake Dean Boulding’s hand in May. These emails have...
A Day in My MBA Life February 1, 2013 - - Before applying to B-school, I was told by many students how miserable their lives were because they were so busy and slept so little. Is it true? Let’s find out … here’s an...
Concentrations: Which to Choose? January 23, 2013 - - Concentrations are a funny thing: they are completely optional in most business schools. So, why should we choose one in the first place, and which one(s)? Particularly for prospective students, this may be...
5 Reasons Fuqua is the Place to be for High Tech January 18, 2013 - - When you think of Fuqua and the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area, the idea of a high tech hub may not be top of mind. However, after spending over a year in the area, I...
Social Experiment #1 – A Chat with Julia Bethune January 14, 2013 - - In an earlier post, I mentioned that one of my goals is to get to know my Fuqua classmates better, and I thought this would be a great opportunity for readers to get...
Rockin’ and Rollin’ in the World of Sports Business January 11, 2013 - - “Sport is like rock ‘n’ roll. Both are dominant cultural forces, both speak an international language, and both are all about emotions.” I found the above quote from Phil Knight, the founder of...
Increasing my Self-Awareness as a Woman in Business January 4, 2013 - - One stereotype of Asians is that we are taciturn, comparatively introvert, humble, and inclined to harmony. In this case, I am a typical Asian. I have learned some American-style networking skills in educational...
How an International MBA Helps Indian Family Businesses January 3, 2013 - - One of the management priorities at Muthoot—my family’s business in India—is ensuring that the next generation of leadership has the broad international perspective and the appropriate business skills to continue the successful expansion...
25 Notable Things January 3, 2013 - - Fuqua recently instituted a question in the MBA application that asks for 25 random things about applicants. When I first heard this, I immediately thought of the Facebook notes chain that was viral...
Consulting – Just in Case January 2, 2013 - - When I applied to Fuqua, I didn’t know what consulting was. It’s been my good fortune that the Consulting Club has expended considerable effort in bringing people like me up to speed. I...
I Resolve To … December 27, 2012 - - Lately, most days start with an adrenaline rushed, fear-based, cars-chasing-me feeling. As the school year continues, and my to-do list gets longer and longer, I’ve decided to take a step back and reflect...
A Wonderful Weekend for Women December 26, 2012 - - Two years ago we were prospective students checking out various business schools, writing essays, and trying to figure out where we wanted to go if we got in … Now 2 years later,...
Top Gifts for MBA Students December 19, 2012 - - ‘Tis the season for fun and joy … it is that time of year when people freak out about buying friends, family, and significant others the perfect gift. Well, worry not. I put...
Impact Consulting in Africa December 11, 2012 - - Needless to say, consulting is definitely a hot topic at business school! And I wanted to investigate the world of consulting for myself, but with a hands-on experience outside of an internship. Fortunately...
LGBT Weekend — Glad I Didn’t Miss It December 5, 2012 - - I felt pretty sure that I knew everything there was to know about The Fuqua School of Business. Last year, as a master’s student at Duke’s Sanford School of Public Policy, I applied...
Messages of Gratitude December 5, 2012 - - During the holiday season, in the spirit of giving thanks and demonstrating the ever-present commitment to Team Fuqua, students and faculty took a moment to give gratitude and appreciation for the things —...
Crazy for Case Competitions December 4, 2012 - - As you begin your application process to business school, you start to assess where you are, where you would like to go, and the skill set that you need to bridge that gap....
Getting an Inside Look at Potential Employers November 30, 2012 - - It feels like I got here just yesterday, but oh how the time flies! I recently finished my first term (7 more to go!) and I had a one-week fall break before the...
painted cow statue Still Glad I Chose Duke November 22, 2012 - - Last year I wrote a post entitled, “Why I Chose Duke!” Now, in my second and final year, I wanted to follow-up on my original post to highlight why I am still grateful...
Marketing Leader Provides Inspiring Advice November 21, 2012 - - Last week, I had the opportunity to sit in on an insightful leadership talk with Shelly Lazarus — Chairman Emeritus of the international advertising, marketing and public relations agency Ogilvy & Mather. It was...
How to Get a Job Saving the World November 20, 2012 - - Like many former Peace Corps volunteers, I hope to save the world someday. I don’t have any brilliant, poverty-ending business ideas at this point (mosquito net that doubles as a fishing net? or...
A Day of Service November 19, 2012 - - About 70 students/partners participated in Fuqua’s first annual Gandhi Day on Wednesday, October 3. Gandhi Day is a day of service where students go out into the community to give back for a...
Look at Yourself, Before Looking at B-Schools November 15, 2012 - - Over the last few weeks, I have spoken to many prospective students for the class of 2015. These conversations often take me back a year when I was navigating the MBA admissions process....
Business School Isn’t Just about Accounting November 14, 2012 - - Some prospective students might be under the impression that all we do at Fuqua is attend class, have group meetings, study in the library, and recruit with any and all companies that visit...
25 Interesting Facts About Me November 13, 2012 - - This year’s application includes an untraditional essay question which asks applicants for a list of 25 random things. Read more about the new essay question in this blog post from the Director of...
Finding a Job at Fuqua November 9, 2012 - - More than 100 Companies Participate in On-Campus Recruiting It has been a very hectic October. Now several months into my second-year, the full-time job search is on for the Class of 2013. As...
A Day in the Country, with Goats November 6, 2012 - - It takes no effort to let the competing demands of recruiting and classwork completely isolate you from events outside Fuqua. In fact, I’m writing this in a computer lab that overlooks the Kirby...
1 Term Down, 3 To Go November 1, 2012 - - What a whirlwind of a first term that was! I can’t believe it has been over 10 weeks since I packed up the U-Haul and drove from Boston to Durham. Any doubts that...
Carolina Pumpkin Culture October 30, 2012 - - Most of the “Fall Festivals” I’ve experienced (in Southern California) are just a few pumpkins and bales of hay in some deserted parking lot next to noisy railroad tracks or a freeway. This...
All Hands are on Deck for First Veterans’ Symposium! October 26, 2012 - - If you’re a member of our nation’s armed forces and have an interest in applying to business school in the next few years, this blog is for YOU. Duke’s Armed Forces Association (DAFA)...
Saving Lions & Building Business Skills in Tanzania October 25, 2012 - - In the middle of rural Tanzania, I stared at constellations through the mesh of a 10-by-8-foot tent I’d come to call “home.” I listened to hyenas whoop on the nearby hillside, and worried....
Every Day Affirms Why Fuqua Is For Me October 23, 2012 - - To get to Fuqua, I had to drive past dozens of business schools (and drive I did, pulling a trailer behind a borrowed Ford F-450 pickup). It was a literal experience, waving goodbye...
My 25 Random Things October 19, 2012 - - If you haven’t noticed, The Fuqua School of Business changed up the essay questions for this year’s application. Here’s one of the newer questions: Question: The “Team Fuqua” spirit and community is one...
Finding Fuqua: My Admissions Process October 18, 2012 - - My journey to Fuqua was a rather emotional one, to say the least. I had worked in pharmaceutical sales for about 4 years when I decided that I wanted to attend business school....
The Moment I Knew Fuqua Was For Me October 17, 2012 - - I initially applied to 5 MBA programs. How did I come up with my list of 5? My approach was probably the least calculated out there — I simply took suggestions from people...
A Very Personal Career Search Experience October 16, 2012 - - Like many people who attend business school, I “knew” exactly what I wanted to do with my life until the day I got in. I wanted to start a door hardware company. But...
CEO of John Deere Shares His Best Practices October 15, 2012 - - At this year’s General Management Club Symposium, the Fuqua community had the unique privilege of listening to Sam Allen, Chairman and CEO of John Deere. Dean Bill Boulding (moderator) and Mr. Allen discussed...
Won Over by Team Fuqua October 11, 2012 - - I don’t like teams. I dislike coordination, collaboration, and compilation. It all takes so much work, and I can do just as well by myself … Well, at least that’s what I thought before...
From Shanghai to Durham October 10, 2012 - - About a year ago, I wandered here to read blog posts, trying to find some clues for my “Why Duke” application essay. Inspired, I ended up writing my essay in a blog format,...
My Dream Internship at Facebook October 8, 2012 - - When I last left you at the edge of your uncomfortable seats, I mentioned that I was interning at a high tech company this past summer. Coming into business school, it was my...
More Random Things October 4, 2012 - - In a previous post, I promised to continue to demystify our “25 Random Things” application essay, while concurrently helping you to get to know Fuqua’s admissions team. So, I am happy to introduce...
How I Got To Durham: Looking Back After One Year October 1, 2012 - - How did I get to Durham? Actually, I came here three times, and not just once. The first time was in early July 2011 for the Language Institute, which is a program designed...
Leadership Team Withdrawal September 26, 2012 - - It feels strange to no longer do group projects with my ILE team. ILE, or Integrated Leadership Experience, is a course that’s conducted at the beginning of the first-year, and then there’s a...
Refocused On My Final Year September 24, 2012 - - As a second-year student at Fuqua, my first four days back on campus were spent in a re-orientation, to readjust to the student lifestyle. It’s a unique time to reflect with your classmates...
The European Bias: Myth Busting U.S. Business Schools September 19, 2012 - - If you’re from Europe, you’ve probably heard all the reasons the United States is not the place to go for an MBA. The assertions might include that your classmates will all be from...
Campout, Part Deux September 17, 2012 - - It’s been over a week since Campout 2012, and I still laugh at the awesomeness that is Campout. For those unfamiliar with the event, it’s a yearly tradition and opportunity for graduate students...
Back to School September 6, 2012 - - I land in Durham, unpack not just summer luggage, but also boxes from an apartment move. Set up the cable and internet. Jumpstart my car not once, but twice. Rush out to get...
Blue Devils “Campout” For Tickets September 5, 2012 - - About a year ago, while at a conference in Dubai I ran across a French colleague. He learned that I was about to quit my job to pursue an MBA at Duke. His...
Is Early Action Right for Me? August 31, 2012 - - This is a common question from applicants, as Fuqua is one of the few schools offering an Early Action application option. It is an incredible opportunity to clearly communicate your commitment to Fuqua...
Indian Applicants: How to Brand Yourself in the Admissions Process August 28, 2012 - - Below is a version of an article that first appeared in Education Times, The Times of India. It is aimed at prospective MBA students from India. Thinking about getting your MBA and applying...
How I Got to “Durham” August 22, 2012 - - Hello readers! While I’ve spent years as an avid blog reader, this is the first time I’m writing for a blog. As part of my transformational experience here at Fuqua, I decided to...
Class Handouts Come in Handy During Summer Internship August 17, 2012 - - If you ask a Fuqua student what they want to do with their class handouts after final exams, very likely the sardonic reply includes the word “bonfire.” But with the benefit of hindsight,...
Learning from Lowe’s August 7, 2012 - - Corporate Finance Internship Provides Industry Insight Last year, when I started at Fuqua, I expected to pursue a career in brand management; however, that changed after I attended various club symposiums and networking...
Boot Camp Sets the Stage for Fuqua Experience July 31, 2012 - - HSM Provides Outlet for Giving Back Previous to coming to Duke, I volunteered and worked at hospitals, clinics, and a generic drug manufacturer. I witnessed patient interaction and saw patient feedback from a...
Getting Ready for the Class of 2014 July 25, 2012 - - New Student Orientation is Only a Week Away! In exactly one week, the halls of Fuqua will be filled with 440 new first-year Daytime MBA students! On August 1st, these new students will...
Application Essays Change to Gain Greater Insights July 19, 2012 - - One of the more challenging jobs that the Admissions team faces each year is selecting our application essay questions. We strive for questions that will fill any gaps in the application, tie the...
Looking Forward to My Second Year July 10, 2012 - - It’s been a while since I checked in, but with finals, GATE (Global Academic Travel Experience), moving to Davidson, and starting work, things have been busy. Now, I’m a few weeks into my...
The Tables Turn — Student Becomes Teacher July 5, 2012 - - People always tell me that I’m hopelessly addicted to education. It is true, in a way; I spend a lot of time reading, even when I’m under no obligation to do so. I...
The Business of Healthcare June 21, 2012 - - The business school application process forces you to think about what you are passionate about and where in society you’d like to make a personal contribution. It allowed me to articulate a nascent...
A Postcard from France June 12, 2012 - - Bonjour! We are on a little family vacation in France, and I am writing from the Hotel Left Bank in Paris. While I am a part of a global business school, I am...
Personal Leadership Lessons June 7, 2012 - - When I applied for MBA programs, almost three years ago, virtually every interview question, essay, and interest statement carried an overtone of leadership. Almost by definition, it’s an amorphous term, and I suppose...
Representing Fuqua June 4, 2012 - - I’m a rising second-year student at Fuqua, and a BOV Student Representative. The Board of Visitors, or BOV, is a collection of senior advisers who guide strategies for the school. The function of...
Adventures in Asia May 31, 2012 - - GATE By the Numbers: 27 Students 16 Days 5 Plane rides 7 Company visits 4 Different cities in China and Taiwan 1 Night in Beijing with roughly 80 Fuquans GATE — Global Academic...
Reflecting in a Time of Loss May 25, 2012 - - In Memory of Jessica Caroe: This week the Fuqua community lost one of our own. Class of 2013 Daytime MBA student, Jessica Caroe, was tragically lost this week in a motorcycle accident. While...
Commencement 2012: The World That Awaits May 18, 2012 - - Ever since I graduated early and left Fuqua in December, I’ve been anticipating this moment — the official graduation ceremony. I’ve always appreciated the duality of graduation: it is both the end to...
The Fuqua Experience is Different for Everyone May 15, 2012 - - A few weeks ago, my wife Jackie and I were excited to be asked by BloombergBusinessweek to contribute a “Day in the Life” slideshow and commentary on our experience at Fuqua. Since Jackie...
Two Programs, One Team Fuqua May 11, 2012 - - During the past year, I’ve worked as an Admissions Fellow, and had an awesome experience interviewing prospective students for not only the Daytime MBA program, but also for another Fuqua program – the...
It’s a Wrap! May 7, 2012 - - First Fuqua Musical is a Success Wow. Over a week later, and I’m still in awe of the immense talent Fuqua students can harness and bring to the Geneen stage. I can’t fully...
Internship Update! May 3, 2012 - - When I last blogged about the internship search, it was early January and I had just completed my first interview in nearly 5 years. Well, thankfully it wasn’t my last one, and the...
Hey Buddy! May 1, 2012 - - Within the next week, the final additions to the class of 2014 will receive their acceptance letters, and with the acceptance process comes one of my favorite programs — Fuqua Buddies! I can...
An Intense Internship Search April 27, 2012 - - My first year as an MBA student has been an absolute roller coaster at times, and nothing had as many highs and lows as the internship search! I want to paint a realistic...
A B-School Musical April 25, 2012 - - This Friday at 7:15 pm, the Arts@Fuqua Club will put on Fuqua’s first originally produced live musical, appropriately titled Fuqua Musical… The show is the opener for the club’s annual Fuqua Idol event...
What I Miss About B-School April 25, 2012 - - It’s funny how quickly one can do a full 180 after graduating. I think about this a lot when I get home from work. My hours aren’t too bad now, and with daylight...
A Full-Time Job Search April 20, 2012 - - As I work hard to finish up my last term at Fuqua, I’ve also been reflecting on my simultaneous job-seeking experience, which just came to an end (yay!). Fuqua’s Career Management Center (CMC)...
Stache Bash Success April 18, 2012 - - When I last left you on the edge of your computer chairs, I was competing in Fuqua’s yearly Stache Bash! I am proud to report that the Stache Bash ended this past Friday,...
FuquaVision: A Culture of its Own April 17, 2012 - - One of the defining moments of my time at Fuqua happened a few weeks ago … I found myself kneeling on the stage of Geneen Auditorium in front of a full crowd of...
Admit Weekend is Here! April 12, 2012 - - Getting an invitation to one of these events feels like winning the lottery (or at least it did for me). After months of tirelessly working through GMAT problems, completing applications, and hoping for...
Spring Pandemonium April 11, 2012 - - There is a lot going on during this term! I’ll highlight 4 events below, but trust that there have been a slew of activities that have each been equally exciting. From interesting classes,...
Growing a Mustache for a Good Cause April 10, 2012 - - Ladies and Gentlemen – it’s that wonderful time of year when many of the young gentlemen at Fuqua grow mustaches for a good cause. Welcome to the world of Stache Bash 2012! Stache...
MBA Games — A Weekend of Fun April 9, 2012 - - The MBA Games is an annual competition that brings teams from top MBA programs across the country to Durham to compete in fun events alongside amazing Special Olympics athletes. The competition started in...
It’s Easy Being Green! April 6, 2012 - - This week was Green Week at Fuqua! Events were organized by the Net Impact Club to raise awareness and promote sustainability at Fuqua. There were various events throughout the week, including speakers, a...
Gradual Graduation April 2, 2012 - - University of Virginia lore indicates that founder and American president Thomas Jefferson didn’t initially confer degrees on graduates, thinking that doing so would imply that the educational process was complete; idealist that he...
Business Class Takes Me to Brazil & Argentina March 27, 2012 - - I am EXHAUSTED! We just started classes again, and I’m still catching up on sleep after a heck of an adventure during Spring Break. I went on a GATE trip. GATE is short...
Managing the Challenged Business March 26, 2012 - - Candid Conversations with Sometimes Controversial Business Leaders Lead to Memorable Learning Experiences Several weeks ago my wife, who is a first-year student at Fuqua, sent me a text message: “I think Rick Wagoner’s...
Madness Men March 23, 2012 - - People kept asking me if I was conflicted. They told me that Duke would play Notre Dame in the second round if both schools were to win. I attended both schools, and I...
Hello & Hola from Argentina! March 12, 2012 - - I’m in Argentina for spring break! I’m here because I’m participating in a Strategic Planning Practicum, so I’m not just here to relax and bask in the sun. I’m here to work, to...
Thoughts from the Other Side of the (Interview) Table March 9, 2012 - - It’s funny, in a way, that business schools should seek such well-rounded students to fill their ranks. You come in as someone who’s excelled in academics, in work, and in any other avenue...
Q & A with Kim — Health Sector & Pharma Connections March 6, 2012 - - I received a couple questions from prospective students that are very specific to the pharma industry. I’m interested in the health sector and I’m in the Health Sector Management (HSM) program, so I...
Students Interview Future Students February 28, 2012 - - After helping the admissions department with campus tours and class visits last year, I was excited to become an “Admissions Fellow” during my second-year. Admissions Fellows contribute to the department in different ways;...
Insight on our Interview Process February 23, 2012 - - We are in the midst of interviews for our Round 2 applicants, our largest application round of the year. We’ve had staff members on the ground, leading events in China, Korea, Thailand, Japan,...
Lessons from the “Bill Gates of India” February 20, 2012 - - As part of Fuqua’s India Business Forum and the Distinguished Speaker Series, the student body had the unique privilege of hearing from Narayana Murthy, who is the founder and chairman emeritus of Infosys....
What to do While You Wait for Your Admissions Decision February 16, 2012 - - ‘Tis the season for business school decisions. You have worked so hard to craft your essays, prepped and followed-up with your recommendation writers, and hopefully submitted your application. Now, the fun begins …...
Learning to Deal with Personal Emotions in Business February 14, 2012 - - One of my favorite things about business school is the opportunity to meet so many incredible people, including my fellow classmates and guest speakers. I’m taking a strategic planning practicum course and a...
5 Days of Improv February 9, 2012 - - I came back to Durham a few weeks ago to take Managerial Improvisation. Fuqua was an innovator over a decade ago, providing an optional improv class for 1 week during Winter Break. Business...
How I Got Here … February 2, 2012 - - I have friends who laughed when I said that I planned to go to business school. Literally laughed. “You?!” they said, knowing my background in government. They assumed (as I probably did, too)...
Creative Business: It’s Not an Oxymoron January 31, 2012 - - Remember the childhood game MadLibs? After coming up with random nouns, adjectives, verbs etc. you would make up a story that was possibly coherent or possibly ridiculous. Either way, that game always created...
Q and A with Kim — Admissions Interviews January 27, 2012 - - During winter break I had some time to answer emails from prospective students, and I received some new questions. It’s a great time to get in those questions, with interviews coming up and...
Business School is Applicable in the Real World January 24, 2012 - - Lessons From My First Month On The Job It’s been about a month since I started my new job, and a little longer since I left Durham, Fuqua, and the relatively carefree existence...
Gaining Media Industry Insight in Los Angeles January 20, 2012 - - Trip Coordination—A Great Leadership Opportunity Last year, I joined the MES Club’s Off-Campus Events Cabinet as the Los Angeles Week-in-Cities (WIC) coordinator. I thought it would be a great way to meld my...
Roundup of the Last Term January 19, 2012 - - In my last blog post on Fall Term II, I mentioned how busy I was. Now, as I head into our next term and look back, I’d like to provide some more color...
Happy New Year! January 13, 2012 - - … And cue New Year’s Resolutions! I’m a huge fan of making them year after year. It’s a great tradition to treat each new year as a new opportunity, but it’s also ridiculous...
The Challenge of Branding January 9, 2012 - - A few weeks ago, I participated in the Brand Challenge at Fuqua. It’s an annual event where “teams of students design creative brand challenges that pit products head-to-head in taste and functional tests.”...
Internship Interviews — The Fun Begins January 5, 2012 - - Wowza. Time flies! I haven’t had a winter break in nearly 5 years and mine was spectacular. While classes don’t start until January 19, internship interviews began January 3. I’m also taking a...
Reflections from Admissions January 3, 2012 - - The holiday season starts with the rush and chaos of shopping, holiday parties, and finishing work projects, followed by … quiet. With presents wrapped, shipped, and unwrapped, LOTS of food cooked and devoured,...
The Birth of a FuquaVision Producer December 29, 2011 - - I have a little background in video production, I love acting, and I have a quirky sense of humor. So when I began my time at Fuqua, I naturally gravitated toward FuquaVision, a...
What You Need to Know Before Starting B-School December 22, 2011 - - I started my MBA journey on August 1, 2011, with no realistic idea of what to expect. I honestly cannot believe the marathon of the first semester occurred during only 4 months! It...
A Lot to be Grateful For December 20, 2011 - - Party Rocking in the (FUQUA) House Tonight I’m shocked at how time has flown. The weather is still mild and it is surreal that two quarters have flown by this fast. School has...
Graduating Early: The Pros and Cons December 19, 2011 - - It wasn’t my plan to graduate from business school early. It just sort of happened. I had planned on doing a dual degree program with the International Development Policy Program, but through a...
Rocket Scientist & Social Entrepreneur Recognized at Fuqua December 19, 2011 - - The below is a condensed version of the original post that is published on the CASE Notes blog. When you talk to Jim Fruchterman, the rocket scientist who founded Benetech, about his advice...
School’s Out for Winter! December 16, 2011 - - Adjusting to a Slower Pace I’m now officially in my second full day of winter break, and pathetic as it sounds, I’m not quite sure what to do with myself. I don’t have...
A Busy But Good Term December 14, 2011 - - At 9:21 last night, I hit the submit button and turned in my last take-home final and as easily as that, I said goodbye to Fall Term II! After I managed to survive...
Thoughts on Graduating December 13, 2011 - - Yup, I’m Done … On Saturday, I finished my last final exam of my business school career. Assuming I didn’t fail anything, this is it. No more pencils, no more books. It wasn’t...
Looking Back at My Wish List December 10, 2011 - - Last year, around this time, I had a brief respite between the end of classes and the holidays, and began thinking … The holidays are an interesting time: you remain thankful for what...
My Fuqua Holiday Wish List December 9, 2011 - - All I want is … To have actual exams again instead of final projects and papers. I wished for projects and papers last year because I thought that would be much easier, and...
A Special Weekend for Minority Applicants December 7, 2011 - - Last year, around this time I was knee-deep in business school applications and school visits. This year, I am on the other side of that equation, and now I’m sharing my experiences and...
P&G CEO Dishes on Leadership November 29, 2011 - - Robert McDonald Visits Class Earlier this month, Fuqua’s Board of Visitors arrived on campus for its semi-annual meeting. The event boasted a star-studded roster, but perhaps one of the most notable members was...
Are You a Poet or a Quant? November 25, 2011 - - Fellow blogger and classmate Deidre-Ann Nelson recently told me to take a look at the website Poets & Quants. For those unfamiliar with Poets & Quants, it’s dedicated to all things MBA. It...
From New York to Fuqua November 23, 2011 - - Prior to business school, I spent 5 years in New York City. When I applied to school, I was really anxious to go elsewhere since I had spent my entire life in the...
Q and A with Kim, Part 6 November 23, 2011 - - Where did the name “Fuqua” come from? First, let’s talk about how to pronounce “Fuqua.” It’s Fuequa as opposed to Fooqua. Get it? Ok, great! Now take a look at the story of J.B....
Choosing Classes November 22, 2011 - - A Method to the Madness? Sometimes, I get so invested in my extra-curricular duties and my career search that it seems as though the ‘school’ aspect of business school becomes an afterthought. I...
Duke Basketball — An Intense Experience November 21, 2011 - - I attended my first Duke basketball game on October 29, and it is safe to say that I was hooked! As I mentioned in my blog about Duke football, I came from a...
Board of Visitors Come to Fuqua November 17, 2011 - - A Unique Opportunity to Interact with World Business Leaders On Friday, November 4, Fuqua’s Board of Visitors descended on Durham for its semi-annual meeting to discuss the state of the school. This highly...
Q and A With Kim, Part 5 November 17, 2011 - - Of the courses offered in the Health Sector Management curriculum, which have you taken or plan to take? For HSM, I did an independent study over two terms. That was a great experience. I...
Admissions Tips November 16, 2011 - - I recently participated in Accepted.com’s Duke Fuqua Admissions Q&A with my colleague Catherine Tuttle, Associate Program Director in the Career Management Center, and second-year Daytime student Alon Gorbonos. The Q&A was broadcasted online...
Event Builds Management Skills November 15, 2011 - - As a member of Fuqua’s Finance Club, I helped to host the First Annual Global Finance Case Competition. It was a way to bring together competitors from like-minded business schools to sharpen their...
Continually Impressed by Deloitte Leader November 11, 2011 - - Prior to business school, I worked for Deloitte Consulting and had the opportunity to meet Punit Renjen after he became CEO of our practice. Punit is a dynamic and inspirational speaker who is...
Business Gets Social November 10, 2011 - - Thoughts on Using Social Media The Center for Technology, Entertainment, and Media (CTEM) hosted its annual Industry Immersion Day on November 9. The event focused on social media in business and boasted an...
Wednesdays November 10, 2011 - - Yes, I’m devoting an entire blog post to one day of the week: Wednesday. Wednesdays are a “day off” for Fuqua MBAs. Some of you may be aware that this is not the...
Q and A with Kim, Part 4 November 9, 2011 - - How can I make my mark as a leader at Fuqua? How can I learn more about the school from a student perspective? I have always found the clubs to be a great...
Why Fuqua and Fall Term I Reflections November 4, 2011 - - “Where are you applying to business school?” “Why?” It’s impossible to go through the MBA application process without answering these two questions ad infinitum. Ad naseum, really. But as I progressed through the...
Reflections on the First Term November 3, 2011 - - I have been writing about all the fun I’m having in business school, but I want you to know that business school is also EXTREMELY busy. Between meeting new people, getting involved in...
A Week in Atlanta, a World of Learning October 31, 2011 - - Within two hours of completing my last final, I was seated at the Washington Duke Inn, also known as the “WaDuke,” having a celebratory lunch and drinks with some of my classmates. It...
Back in the Big Apple October 30, 2011 - - After being at Fuqua for roughly three months, I’ve learned various lessons, and one of the most important is that scheduled breaks are not really breaks. On October 19, my statistics final finished...
Weekend for Women Preview October 24, 2011 - - This year I am an admissions coordinator for the 2011 Annual Duke MBA Weekend for Women. The event is less than 2 weeks away (!!!) so I just wanted to provide some insight...
This Fall Break October 24, 2011 - - How Time Flies — and Changes I keep thinking that we’re fortunate that this MBA program is a two-year deal. Doing this all, the academic work, the career search, and the assorted minutiae...
Musings from a 747 October 19, 2011 - - The temptation to contribute to this blog hits me at the strangest times. I’ve officially allocated several hours each Sunday to writing; the allocation is so official, in fact, that it is codified...
The Price of An Education October 17, 2011 - - During my final semester of college, I had one of the finest professors in my academic career, in a course called “Politics of International Financial Relations.” I probably would have absorbed more information...
A Study in Life October 13, 2011 - - Independent Study has Unexpected Impact Ask any second-year student why they’re glad they came to Fuqua, and unless you make the mistake of asking during finals or final presentations, most of them will...
Resumes, Suits, and Ties … Oh My! October 11, 2011 - - Hundreds of reputable companies. Thousands of smart and ambitious business school students and professionals. Lights, sounds, free giveaways, logos, cars and tractors, and prizes in a giant convention center. The National Black MBA...
Women in Business October 10, 2011 - - Duke’s first-year MBA class (my class) is 37% female. That might not seem very high, but it is actually among the highest at U.S. business schools. Since female MBAs are in the minority...
Why Fuqua? A Second Year’s Perspective October 10, 2011 - - There’s something about fall that has put me in a position to be nostalgic. Maybe it’s just this fall. Graduation seems to be looming more closely every day, and with it, the trepidation...
An Adventurous Opportunity October 6, 2011 - - Taking on White Water Rafting Aside from my overall career change, I came to business school to meet new people, live in a different place, and try things outside of my comfort zone....
Duke Football – The Forgotten Sport October 6, 2011 - - Did you know Duke actually has sports outside of basketball? There are coaches besides Coach K, and the campus has other types of venues besides basketball courts! Having completed my undergrad at Emory...
Business School — The Time is Now October 5, 2011 - - You dream of this moment, but you aren’t sure how it’s going to play out. You’ve spent months avoiding your friends and family so you can focus on GMAT problems, write essays, check...
Fuqua and IBM October 5, 2011 - - On October 3, 2011, Fuqua welcomed Bob Weber, a 1976 Duke law graduate and current SVP of government and legal affairs at IBM. Our Distinguished Speaker Series has had no shortage of influential...
A Unique Dining Experience September 28, 2011 - - This past Sunday I attended one of Fuqua’s traditional events, the Around the World Dinner. Once each quarter (four times per year), the MBA Association (MBAA) sponsors a dinner that highlights local food...
Figuring Out the Financial Markets September 26, 2011 - - There was a time over the summer when it looked – to anyone interested in the capital markets – as if financial meltdown was imminent. Between the downgrade of the US debt, a...
Role & Value of Marketers September 25, 2011 - - Impressive GE Exec Addresses Students Beth Comstock, Sr. Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for General Electric, kicked off Fuqua’s 2011 Distinguished Speaker Series (DSS) to a packed house. Beth delivered an inspiring...
I’m Going to China! September 23, 2011 - - I was just selected as a Team Leader for our China 1 GATE trip (momentary, celebratory dance)!!! Ever since I first applied to Fuqua, I wanted to be a part of GATE. I...
Orientation or Indoctrination? Either way … it’s Awesome September 23, 2011 - - While I am currently in the middle of my first term at Fuqua, I wanted to share with everyone the fun times of my first few days: August 1 (morning) The First Day...
Finding the Balance September 22, 2011 - - During orientation people kept repeating: “You’ll be drinking from a fire hose over the next few months” and “Be sure to schedule in time to go to the gym, do your laundry, even...
Lessons From the Recruiting Trail September 21, 2011 - - Exactly one year ago today, I attended my very first MBA recruiting event. It was the beginning of a four month onslaught of information overload, cold calls, and fried food. The odyssey that...
What is Campout? September 20, 2011 - - Campout 2011: I lasted 36, 24, 7 hours! For all of you who came from a non-sports dominated school, like myself, let me explain what Campout is. Each year, about 2,000 graduate students...
Why I Chose Duke! September 10, 2011 - - When I applied to business school, last year’s essay topic asked, “Why Duke?” My response was, “Why Duke!” But first, let me backtrack a little bit and tell you about my path to...
Bould Statements September 7, 2011 - - New Fuqua Dean Addresses Class After a strenuous first year at Fuqua, many students relished the opportunity to get some much needed distance between themselves and all things Durham during their internships. For...
The Journey Begins: Global Institute & Month 1 September 2, 2011 - - After an entertaining and exhausting 3-day orientation, I completely forgot that there was this whole thing called academics that would actually start! Many may wonder, why does Fuqua start school a full month...
Oh, What a Week! August 9, 2011 - - Program Starts with a Bang at Orientation I didn’t fully understand the “Team Fuqua” concept that everyone talked about during the application process, that is, until I experienced Orientation, or “O-Week.” So far,...
Presentation Prep Pays Off August 8, 2011 - - An appendix for my PowerPoint slide deck … Check. Slide trackers to show transitions between slides … Check. “Sticky” concepts that the audience will remember … Check. Yes, I was more than ready...
Coming to Fuqua July 11, 2011 - - One word was all it took to make over a year of intense exam preparation, school visits, application filling, recommendation coordinating, and essay writing all worthwhile; all the stress, anticipation, and occasional bouts...
The Summer Internship: One Month Down July 7, 2011 - - Well, I’m a rising second-year now, and it’s Thursday morning on the fifth week of my internship. I wake up and feel good about another fun week coming to an end. Although I’m...
If I Had To Do It Again … May 3, 2011 - - In the last couple weeks I’ve tried, with some success, to gauge the emotions of my classmates as the year winds down. The response was more varied than I had expected. Some students...
What I Wish I Knew Before My First Year May 1, 2011 - - Team meetings should never be more than two hours long. The optional readings for classes are probably never going to happen. Get the food fast at Fuqua Friday or there won’t be any...
Whatever the Case May Be April 29, 2011 - - Many Fuqua first years express some amazement that their second-year course load, at least when viewed in advance, looks relatively modest compared to the imposing gauntlet of the first few terms. After their...
My Favorite Classes April 27, 2011 - - There are two classes so far that I have enjoyed immensely and that have really stuck with me: Consumer Behavior Management Communications I & II While the rest of my first-year marketing classmates...
My Bucket List April 22, 2011 - - As the end of Term 4 nears, I’ve been able to reflect upon how I’ve spent my first year at Fuqua and … I’m disgusted with myself. I mean, there are so many...
My Work with Grameen America April 19, 2011 - - In the past 30 years, Muhammad Yunus’ Grameen Bank has earned worldwide acclaim for its service to the poor of Bangladesh. Yunus and his affiliates have combined a commitment to improving society with...
The Power of Change April 13, 2011 - - Today, Fuqua hosted the seminar “Hydropower, Pipelines, and Petroleum: The U.S. – Canada Energy Relationship.” With a collection of scholars and energy executives, the speakers and panelists were well versed in discussing the...
The Whole Truth: Lessons from Haiti April 11, 2011 - - Duke’s Provost Lecture Series has brought a slew of diverse, thought provoking individuals to campus in recent months. In the series’ final installment, New York Times Correspondent Damien Cave, a notable reporter during...
Dimon Says: A CEO’s Perspective April 8, 2011 - - Jamie Dimon, CEO of JP Morgan, Speaks at Fuqua It is said that everyone gets something unique out of business school. For some, a new career is on the horizon, while others are...
Q and A with Kim, Part 3 April 4, 2011 - - A couple more questions that I’ve received recently from prospective students that I’ve spoken with: Q: What is it like for spouses/partners/significant others during your time at Fuqua? A: Ah, I love this...
Friday, I’m In Fox April 2, 2011 - - I suppose I’m not alone in feeling this way, but Fridays have always carried a special cachet for me. When I was young, my extended family would always have pizza together on Friday...
Thoughts on Leadership April 2, 2011 - - Distinguished Speaker Makes Me Think More Deeply On April Fool’s Day, the Distinguished Speaker Series continued with a visit from Deloitte Touche CEO Jim Quigley. Mr. Quigley came to discuss his favorite topic...
The Durham Dozen March 30, 2011 - - My Bucket List At some point in the last week, it dawned on me that we’re rapidly approaching the end of our first year. Yes, it was a whole 8 months ago: in...
Nation of Contrast March 27, 2011 - - Wrapping My Head Around India Over spring break, which concluded less than a week ago, I spent two weeks in India helping a small company build out an agricultural extension services model. It...
No Sympathy For The Devils March 25, 2011 - - “Duke … is everything that’s wrong with college basketball, personified.” – University of Maryland alum “I really hate everything about Duke’s basketball team.” – NC State enthusiast “[Unprintable]” – North Carolina fan Duke’s...
The Challenge March 24, 2011 - - Finding the Next Great Start-Ups The entrepreneurial spirit, it is said, is the lifeblood of the American economy. A passion for invention, reinvention, and innovation is what has distinguished us; the United States...
Clean Slate March 24, 2011 - - Spring break, it seems, is an exciting time at Fuqua. In just a few minutes at the airport the Sunday after Spring 1 finals, I ran into people traveling to five different continents....
Year of the Rabbit March 23, 2011 - - Hong Kong Diplomat Speaks at Fuqua The world, by all accounts, has become a very interconnected place in recent years. The time in which a company could do business in one small corner...
Reflections on the Taj Mahal March 21, 2011 - - When I was recruited to join the Global Consulting Practicum (GCP) in the fall, I was promised many things: immersion in a new culture, work with a burgeoning enterprise, and a channel to...
The Indian Job March 20, 2011 - - Since setting foot on campus in early August of last year, we’ve consistently been reminded that part of what distinguishes Fuqua’s student body from that of other business schools is that we’re selected...
Q and A with Kim, Part 2 March 12, 2011 - - Some common questions I get from prospective students include: Q: What is the class structure like at Fuqua? A: I never attended a class as a prospective student, so my first day of...
Fortune Favors the Tardy March 4, 2011 - - Making it to my First Duke Basketball Game Eight years ago, I was studying abroad in Rome, and was slated to spend a weekend in Paris. Upon catching a cab from the airport,...
The Marathon March 2, 2011 - - Racing to Grab an Internship We’re a fortunate group, in a great many ways. Our class of about 450 has, before coming here, populated some of the best jobs people our age could...
Asia Business Conference March 2, 2011 - - In response to an increasingly global marketplace, typified by multinational corporations and the participation of many diverse actors, Fuqua has continued to fashion itself as an international business school. This has been more...
Learning to Fly March 1, 2011 - - Boeing CEO Speaks at Fuqua Fuqua beams with pride at the characterization of its students as ‘high flying,’ but this description took on a literal meaning when Boeing CEO Jim McNerney arrived on...
The Six-Week Odyssey February 28, 2011 - - Reflections on the Spring Term As Spring Term 1 draws to a close, I can’t help but get somewhat nostalgic, in a manner not typically used when thinking about a period only six...
Q and A with Kim Part 1 February 27, 2011 - - As an Admissions Ambassador, here are some frequent questions I get from prospective students: Q: What is living in Durham like? A: In terms of the location, Durham, North Carolina, is a unique...
Business Insights from European CEO February 25, 2011 - - For years, Fuqua’s faculty, students, and alumni have exerted tireless effort to brand the school as the preeminent international business school in the United States. In pursuit of this, the Fuqua family has...
The Financial Crisis: Canada vs. America February 18, 2011 - - Canadian Financial Regulator Provides Analysis In a manner unique even amongst the most eclectic business schools, Fuqua has delivered a world-class curriculum that capably blends emphasis on a variety of subject areas, and...
Industry Immersion Day February 18, 2011 - - Technology, Entertainment & Media Converge at Fuqua During the most trying moments of the first-year curriculum, there would be few bold or optimistic enough to consider their business school experience to be glamorous....
Duke vs. UNC February 12, 2011 - - Sometimes, disappointment has its own way of turning into satisfaction. When certain expectations or hopes are unfulfilled or dashed, it can leave a void, a feeling of resentment. These feelings can ruin what...
Global Consulting Practicum February 10, 2011 - - Helping Clients to Bridge Gaps One of the most enduring programs in the Fuqua curriculum is the Global Consulting Practicum in Social Entrepreneurship, for which the school has earned widespread acclaim in recent...
The Economic Crisis in Shades of Gray February 10, 2011 - - FDIC Chairperson Shares Her Insights Fuqua’s Distinguished Speaker Series has brought some of corporate America’s most heralded scions to campus in an effort to strengthen its ties with those companies in the best...
Sustainable Business & Social Impact February 9, 2011 - - In early February, the Duke MBA Net Impact Club hosted its annual Conference on Sustainable Business & Social Impact. The event drew scores of concerned and interested Fuqua students, and also attracted Nicholas...
Internships: Second Round Interviews February 3, 2011 - - More Lonely, More Leisurely For weeks in the beginning of January, ambitious first-year students in the heat of on-campus interview season huddled together to pool ideas, and collaborate in an effort for each...
Consulting in the Classroom & in the Real World January 30, 2011 - - By late January, several well known and highly regarded consulting firms descended on campus to begin identifying the newest crop of summer interns. It was exciting, and a chance to demonstrate the applicability...
Prom – It’s Not Just for Teenagers … December 7, 2010 - - Amid the late semester flurry of final presentations, papers, and exam preparation, on a Saturday in early December, Fuqua students and their partners put the usual pressures of business school on hold for...
Weekend for Women December 2, 2010 - - For Fuqua’s prospective female students, the annual Weekend for Women provides valuable insight on the admissions process and life at the school. Because of a lot of dedicated preparation on Fuqua’s part, some...
Share Your Holiday December 1, 2010 - - Second-year students Brooke Henze and Kelsey Diao led the Share Your Holiday Project this year, and once again, the program triumphed in combatting the holiday blues for some local Durham residents. Because of...
I’m An Admissions Ambassador! November 28, 2010 - - As a prospective or incoming student, I know you have a lot of questions. Great news – I have a lot of answers! Not only have I worked as an Admissions Ambassador during...
MILE – The Marketing Integrated Learning Experience November 24, 2010 - - Does the thought of systematically reasoning through the product potential of mango flavored potato chips leave you confused and caught off guard? It does for many first-year students, but luckily, the second-years, wise...
Around the World Dinner: Good Cuisine & Great Company November 13, 2010 - - The Fuqua MBA Association (MBAA) once again helped the first-year Daytime class strike networking gold with its Around the World Dinner. For the big event, both first-year and second-year Daytime students opened up...
Duke MBA Health Care Conference November 10, 2010 - - Obesity, Cardiac Disease, Diabetes: Business Solutions for a Global Epidemic The Duke MBA Health Care Conference was another successful flagship event for the Health Care Club. With the health care industry booming, and...
Finding Assets in Financial Services Industry November 6, 2010 - - In early November, while Term 2 classes were just beginning to heat up, members of the Fuqua Asset Management Club headed to chilly Boston for two days to meet with some of the...
The Music Industry: It’s a Singles Market October 29, 2010 - - We are all familiar with the disruptions the music industry has faced from a technological standpoint. These disruptions have manifested slowly over the past few decades, as physical media has evolved from the...
A Week On Wall Street October 25, 2010 - - In the wake of the first finals of our MBA careers, many students scattered and took advantage of the unseasonably warm Carolina weather for a week before Term 2 started. It was a...
FuquaVision: B-School Sketch Comedy at its Best October 18, 2010 - - The Fall Term 1 FuquaVision Show was the perfect, lighthearted ending to an intense term for first-year students. With classes over and final exams quickly approaching, everyone was definitely excited to let loose...
Fuqua Family Weekend October 11, 2010 - - Fuqua Family Weekend gives families an opportunity to feel more connected to students and the school by providing a glimpse into student life. Family members are encouraged to ask questions to better understand...
Campout: Rules of the Game October 6, 2010 - - 725 season tickets. That’s it. Somehow, at Campout, over the next 36 hours we are going to determine who gets those Duke Men’s Basketball tickets. Campout is kind of like a simple game,...
Health Care for Low-Income Recipients September 23, 2010 - - At the September Triangle Global Health Consortium Breakfast Discussion, speakers engaged with local students and professionals to address issues in caring for the poor, the un-insured, and the under-insured throughout North Carolina and...
Lessons in Leadership February 22, 2010 - - As an institution, Fuqua has embraced those alumni who have sought to apply its unique leadership principles beyond the walls of Breeden Hall. Few graduates, though, have exemplified the Fuqua spirit in corporate...