Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog
Category: Life at Fuqua
How You Know You’ve Become a Second-Year Student
- When half of the faces at Fuqua are unfamiliar, it means that a new first-year class has arrived – you’re a Second Year now.
- When you can decide how many and which courses to take each term, you are a Second Year. No more 8 am core classes.
- When you handle 3 different teams in a term rather than 1 designated C-LEAD (Consequential Leadership) team, you are a Second Year.
- When you’ve mastered the ability to construct busy consulting-style slides, read 20-page cases in minutes, and compose concise case write-ups, you are a Second Year.
- When you don’t feel the need to attend each and every conference or event because you’ve identified your true passion, you are a Second Year. Moreover, you have become a panelist and organizer instead of an attendee.
- When you’ve narrowed down the number of clubs you’re actively involved in from 15 to 5, you are a Second Year. Vague dreams have faded, and a more realistic plan has emerged.
- If internship recruiting is like the “first date,” then the second-year job search is like “speed dating,” quickly followed by “marriage.” For Second Years, there is less time for networking since on-campus recruiting wraps up in 2 months. Luckily, you can reconnect with old contacts and build off the relationships you started with recruiters in year 1 to expedite the process.
- When you’ve switched from seeking advice to offering advice, you are a Second Year. It is time to give back through informational interviews, resume reviews, casing, and mock interviews with First Years, so that “Team Fuqua” continues.
- When you know where every room is located at Fuqua, where your favorite Durham restaurants are, and every store located in Southpoint (the biggest shopping mall in Durham,) you are a Second Year. Bye bye, GPS.
- When your classmates are all club co-presidents, Teaching Assistants for multiple courses, or some kind of fellow, you are a Second Year. After all, we all come here to become Leaders of Consequence.
- For international students, when you know what the 80’s Party, Halloween Party, and Prom are, you are a Second Year.
- When you study abroad, or when a third of your peers are gone for an exchange, you are a Second Year.
- When you have time to work out, sleep for more than 7 hours every night, and don’t have to worry (too much) about your GPA anymore, you are a Second Year who has finished recruiting.
- When your classmates are no longer new friends, but friends with whom you share a deep bond, you are a Second Year.
- When you’ve tried skeet shooting, rock climbing, a half-marathon, and are planning for the next big thing, you are a Second Year.
- Asia? Check. Europe? Check. Africa? Check. When you’re figuring out your next grand trip destination, you are a Second Year.
- When seeing blossoms in spring makes you sad, you are a Second Year. The blossoms remind you that the count-down to graduation is winding to a close. Sadly, the second year goes very fast, and we will miss the awesome Fuqua experience.