Completing your MMS application can be a daunting task—but luckily, this blog is a great place to come for help. Admissions recently shared some advice on how to approach the application as a whole and we wanted to share how we tackled the “25 Random Things” essay. So here are a few things about each of us.
- One of my fondest memories is playing in the Indus river with my friends when we visited India.
- I had a pet goat named Billy when I lived in Jamaica for a summer.
- During my PwC internship, I organized an event for Shine, the LGBTQ affinity group, to build a network and create a sense of community between members and my intern class.
- My mother raised me alone, which I view as a strength. She serves as a constant inspiration and support system.
- I am constantly judged for disliking chocolate.
- My long term goal is to own a chain of luxury spas across the Caribbean.
- No matter how many books I have read, my favorite quote of all time comes from Harry Potter: “It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
- I’m tall (5’ 11”) and I kept getting asked if I’m a basketball player. Most people ask this as a joke, but it so happens that I thus got into basketball, and actually play it now.
- On the MV World Odyssey ship for a Semester at Sea, I fell over during the captain’s tour, right after proudly claiming that I could keep my balance, and claiming that the ship’s rocking didn’t faze me.
- I lived in Belgium for many years and learned a mix of Dutch and French, as half the street signs were in Dutch, the other half in French (yes, I got lost very often). I ended up being quintilingual after moving to India, and still love learning new languages.
- I like singing for events and for fun. But I realized how loud I could be when a kind neighbor once let me know that my shower-singing was his morning alarm.
- I once headed a team for ‘Project Centurion,’ where we conducted 100 charity projects world-wide in 24 hours—I can still barely believe we pulled that off!
- My first job was tutoring English to Chinese students in Chongqing. It was this position that spurred my passion for childcare and development that I pursued during undergrad.
- I am the proud mother of a one-year-old kitten. Even though I’m a cat owner, I love dogs too!
- I have sung in front of a crowd of over a thousand people! The performance was for the Seeds of Hope charity concert in Chongqing.
- Last year, in an effort to cut back on social media use, I began playing mobile sudoku. Now, I have a shelf full of finished puzzle books.
- One of my long-term goals is to open a daycare with the help of my mother and grandmother. My sister is studying hospitality and management, so it would be a family affair!
- I taught myself how to play guitar and ukulele. I want to learn piano next, but it’s definitely the most difficult of the three.
- I am a published model—one of my biggest achievements has been booking a spot in Michigan Fashion Week. My goal is to use my MMS degree to work in the fashion industry.
- Dogs are cute…but I’m scared of them. Yes, I’m scared of those furry little creatures known as a man’s best friend. I do, however, enjoy videos of cute puppies.
- When I was 12, I auditioned for a spot on “Disney.” I heard an ad on the radio and forced my parents to call so I could audition. Now that I think about it, I’m not sure if it was even real, but it was a fun audition.
- I’m an artist! My current medium is digital art, and I make customized illustrations for others. I have an Etsy shop dedicated to my prints.
- I want to own a coffee shop, not for the coffee but for the ambiance.
- My name is engraved on a wall at the student union building of my undergrad institution because I attended an event called “Dr. Pepper Hour” every single Tuesday (same time, same place) during an entire semester.
- My great-grandmother is alive, well, and over the age of 105.