the three students presenting in front of a projection screen; marketing experience Brand Competition Delivers More than Just Marketing Experience November 7, 2019 - - For students interested in gaining marketing experience or learning about the fast-moving consumer goods industry, this competition is one of the best opportunities during the program to get front-line exposure to the business world
What to expect in a classroom: 6 students gathered around a laptop, talking and smiling What to Expect When You’re Expecting to Join Fuqua November 4, 2019 - - Between all of the blogs, recruiting information, and stories that you hear from alumni and current students, it is hard to know which insights or experiences will apply to your time at Fuqua. Having contended with this information overload firsthand, I have compiled a list of what you can expect from your time here at Fuqua
a collage of six plated food photos, one from each of Lily's brunch recommendations Brunch Recommendations for a Delightful Weekend October 9, 2019 - - Here are my brunch recommendations for places with delicious menus as well as good atmospheres where you can start your weekend off on a delightful note
Grady in the foreground, taking a selfie with the admissions team in the background; connect with admissions How to Connect with Admissions September 16, 2019 - - As a prospective student, it is important to connect with admissions and to be in touch with our department throughout your whole application process
two students looking at a laptop in Fuqua's Fox Center; technology 4 Things to Know About Our Technology Track in MMS August 26, 2019 - - As the senior associate dean of full-time programs, I am frequently gathering input from students and alumni about their Fuqua experiences and asking recruiters about the skill sets they are seeking
a large Duke "D" on the wall and exercise machines on the floor of a large room, one of the places to exercise at Duke My Favorite Ways to Exercise at Duke August 19, 2019 - - Duke has great facilities for students to exercise. Even though the MMS schedule is hectic at times, if you manage your time well—maybe working out at least one weekday and again on the weekends—you'll enjoy using the facilities and the health benefit they provide
about 100 students pose for a group photo with Duke basketball coaches on the Cameron Indoor Stadium court during one of their student events 7 of Our Favorite Student Events July 10, 2019 - - We at Fuqua value hard work and discipline, but also live by the famous quote “all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”
6 students on Janet's Duke Interdisciplinary Social Innovators team pose for a photo in a team study room Gaining Consulting Experience Through Duke Interdisciplinary Social Innovators June 3, 2019 - - At Fuqua, apart from taking classes, acing case assignments, having team meetings, and networking with a diverse group of people, there are lots of opportunities you can pursue to help you grow
the entire class of 2018 in their gowns at commencement posing for a group photo and throwing their caps into the air; MMS employment outcomes MMS Employment Outcomes for the Class of 2018 May 3, 2019 - - We’ve recently gathered and analyzed the latest career outcomes of the Master of Management Studies: Foundations of Business Class of 2018. I’m delighted to share the results, which show that employers continue to value the business skills and capabilities that graduates bring to their companies
Durham's skyline at dusk; best Duke and Durham experiences 10 of the Best Duke and Durham Experiences April 30, 2019 - - Urban Axes in downtown Durham is the perfect venue for competitive ax-throwing and might be the most unique activity on the list.
Winna and her five teammates holding their second place prize check for $1,500; nursing and business Nursing and Business: A Healthy Combo April 22, 2019 - - From Registered Nurse to Business School Student Before coming to Fuqua, I worked as a registered nurse on the Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Unit at Mott Children’s Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan. While...
approximately 100 students and staff pose for a group photo during International Student Bootcamp Off to a Good Start After International Student Bootcamp April 5, 2019 - - As an international student who was not very familiar with living in the U.S., English language and cultural differences were some of the most concerning factors for me before starting the program. However,...
the six-person consultant team poses for a photo A New Opportunity to Be a Consultant March 11, 2019 - - One of the many unique experiential learning opportunities offered here is the Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP). This program allows a team of students to work as consultants on a real-world problem brought...
6 students posing for a photo in the woods, explore Durham Take a Day Off to Relax and Explore Durham February 12, 2019 - - Life at Fuqua is usually quite challenging. We have so much work during the weekdays, including taking classes, having team meetings, and being involved in other activities. How about giving yourself a day...
The team smiling and posing for a selfie The Value of My Team at Fuqua January 29, 2019 - - Friday, the 13th! Believe it or not, that was our first day at Fuqua. I might sound spooky, but what happened on that day was quite the opposite. Teamwork makes the dream work,...
students, some of whom are dressed in traditional African garments, enjoying Nigerian food at the event, MMS is a special program First Impression: This is a Special Program January 18, 2019 - - When I walked through Fuqua’s doors last July, I wasn’t completely sure what this year would hold for me. Slightly overwhelmed and incredibly nervous, I went into orientation feeling like it would the first day...
a dozen students displaying the Blue Devil paintings they created during a Wine and Design event, 25 Random Things Our 25 Random Things December 3, 2018 - - The “25 Random Things About Yourself” essay—it’s become a hallmark of Fuqua’s application. Admissions provided some great tips on how to approach it, and we wanted to share some of our ‘random things’...
three students sitting and chatting in front of a pond and the signature bridge in Duke Gardens, one of the spots that helped Robyn feel at home in Durham My Home Away From Home in Durham November 2, 2018 - - Moving to Durham was one of the most nerve-wracking adventures I’ve ever undertaken. And if you’ve been admitted, chances are you’re feeling that gut-tingling mixture of nervousness and excitement too. Moving somewhere new can...
aerial shot of downtown Durham, things to do before moving to Durham 8 Things International Students Can Do Before Moving to Durham November 2, 2018 - - Congratulations! You’ve been admitted by Fuqua and now you’re probably wondering what your next step should be. As an international student, moving to another country can be exciting but overwhelming! Here are some...
a standing room only classroom of students looks on, clubs at Fuqua Clubs at Fuqua: A Great Match for My Interests October 26, 2018 - - When reflecting on my time in the MMS program, there is no doubt that my involvement with the Daytime MBA clubs at Fuqua shaped a major part of my experience. After being in...
Dean Bill Boulding posing for a group photo with five East Asian international students How Fuqua Welcomes and Supports Our International Students October 11, 2018 - - At Fuqua, we wholeheartedly believe our community grows stronger as our diversity increases. Thus, we intentionally seek to build a diverse student population—one that’s truly representative across experiences, backgrounds, cultures, beliefs, nationalities, citizenships,...
Student organizers of the Business in Africa Conference pose for a photo after the event, Fuqua clubs Benefits of Getting Involved with Fuqua Clubs October 2, 2018 - - Attending Fuqua was both exhilarating and intimidating at the same time. Cultivating strong and lasting relationships has always been something I strive to do wherever I am. Therefore, from the moment I started the...
the Class of 2017 celebrating during a group photo at graduation, make the most of the MMS experience 5 Ways to Make the Most of the MMS Experience August 9, 2018 - - Here’s my tried and tested advice as an MMS graduate. 1. Build authentic relationships with as many people as you can. In my experience, there are three key reasons to do this. New...
brunch plates on the patio at Guglhupf, a great spot for chilling in Durham Chilling in Durham: Saturday Edition July 19, 2018 - - Now that the presentation that you and your team just spent nine hours preparing together is finished, you find yourself craving a wonderfully relaxing Saturday. What should you do and where should you...
a student standing on her desk to emphasize her point during a class discussion in one of my favorite courses 3 of My Favorite Courses May 24, 2018 - - Let’s take a closer look at three courses from the MMS: FOB program that really made an impact on me.  Spreadsheet Modeling and Decision Analysis Not sure how many music festival tickets your...
a bust of J.B. Fuqua in the school hallway The Question You May Be Afraid to Ask: How Do You Pronounce Fuqua? May 8, 2018 - - OK prospective students, we know. You’ve wondered and don’t want to ask. How do you say our school’s name? Full confession here: I’m the assistant dean of the Daytime program and an alumnus,...
a dozen students get ready for one of their weekend excursions to Hanging Rock State Park. Weekend Excursions: A Refreshing Break from Stress April 23, 2018 - - Life is a balancing act, and perhaps business school recruiting season is one of the most challenging times to manage academic work, the job search, social life, and personal responsibilities. One of the...
looking up at the entrance to Fuqua and the blue sky, Lindsey's job search My Job Search and How I Landed at PwC April 18, 2018 - - The MMS program is a balance, with coursework, job recruiting, and other factors constantly competing as areas of focus. The hard work paid off, and I’m thrilled to have recently accepted a job...
six students seated around a table, collaborating on work embodies the answer to "What is Team Fuqua?" What is Team Fuqua? April 9, 2018 - - Team Fuqua. It’s a term you constantly hear in our community. Ask for a definition and a hundred people will tell you a hundred stories to illustrate what it means to them. Synthesizing...
Soo Youn's five-person team for the consulting competition Consulting for the Win April 9, 2018 - - A large number of MMS students prepare for consulting recruitment and, accordingly, Fuqua provides a myriad of ways to shed light on those careers. The annual Accenture Case Competition is an opportunity for...
Madhav, Dilnaman and Anagh at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park, a friendship that started at Fuqua Around the World It All Started at Fuqua Around the World… April 4, 2018 - - I recently attended my third consecutive Fuqua Around the World networking event, but this one was different. It was my first as an MMS alumnus and my first without the two people who...
the team's bench chairs in Cameron Indoor Stadium, scenes of basketball at Duke What’s the Big Deal with Basketball at Duke? March 12, 2018 - - There are a lot of things that make Duke special—the quality of the academics, the gothic architecture, the proximity to other schools—but one thing stands above the rest. Basketball. I always tell people...
the marquee sign at Mateo Tapas, one of the best restaurants in Durham The Best Restaurants in Durham February 2, 2018 - - When looking into graduate school options, one does not usually take into account the caliber of the area’s food. However, when looking at Duke, food should definitely factor into your decision! Durham offers...
Five classmates sitting on a basketball court during the Duke basketball experience, Why MMS among other graduate school options Why MMS? Here’s What 5 Students Had to Say January 29, 2018 - - “Why MMS?” “Why Fuqua?” They’re simple, but important questions that you’re probably asking as you explore graduate school options. And honestly, each student in our class might have a different answer. So let’s...
A couple of students smiling in the food line at Fuqua Friday Looking Forward to Fuqua Friday December 21, 2017 - - Fuqua Friday is one of the highlights of our busy school week. The social event is always packed with students, professors, staff, and even children. It wasn’t until my first Fuqua Friday—when classmates...
students posing around a Duke sign, questions to ask when considering graduate school 4 Questions to Ask When Considering Graduate School December 15, 2017 - - So you’ve made the decision to go to graduate school. Congrats! Now the question is, what school is best for you? When selecting a graduate school there are a lot of questions to...
the flags in the halls of Fuqua symbolize the student diversity, one of the reasons why the MMS program was right for me Why the MMS Program Was Right For Me November 16, 2017 - - At the beginning of my graduate school search, the location of Duke, and of course the globally recognized and highly reputable Fuqua brand, is what made MMS stand out from the rest of...
My study team jumping for joy, my MMS program described The MMS Program Described in GIFs November 6, 2017 - - Recently, a lot of people have asked me what I’ve been up to this year and what the MMS program is like. I normally start by telling them what classes I’m in and...
The Perfect Restaurants for a Weekend in Durham October 30, 2017 - - Did you know that Durham is ranked as one of the hottest food cities in the United States? If you’re in Durham for the first time, here is my idea of the perfect weekend...
noodles are among Kunshan's dining options Taking a Bite Out of Kunshan September 11, 2017 - - Having explored Kunshan’s dining options during our spring terms there, I have come up with a list of restaurants that you should try when you dine out in the city. Aozao Noodles Restaurant(奥灶馆)...
an MMS student with a Fuqua Career Coach, winter break How Students Can Make the Most of Winter Break August 30, 2017 - - After enduring three fast-paced terms, MMS students get a much-needed winter break. Most students are ready to relax, see family and friends or travel, but it’s also an excellent time to focus on the...
Julian and Angelo posing, part of the Fuqua family Dreams Realized: Why 2 Friends Joined the Fuqua Family August 21, 2017 - - Julian Geyer-Klingeberg Fuqua has been the best journey I have ever made. During my undergraduate studies in Germany, my courses were very theory-based, which is not uncommon for the prevailing education system there....
MMS student Ways to Engage as a Prospective MMS Student July 17, 2017 - - In Admissions, we often say that Fuqua’s unique culture is best experienced interpersonally. We strongly believe that interacting with admissions officers, students, faculty, or alumni is the ideal way for you to determine...
25 things Tips on Writing Your ’25 Things’ Essay July 6, 2017 - - If you’ve taken a look at an application for any of the programs we offer at Duke’s Fuqua School of Business, then a unique essay prompt has likely caught your eye—“25 Random Things...
MMS program The Evolution of the MMS Program June 23, 2017 - - Steve Misuraca is a Duke undergrad and Fuqua Daytime MBA alumnus who has served as director of the Master of Management Studies program since 2013. His passion and vision for the MMS program and his involvement...
Fuquans: Meet 6 More of Our Classmates May 11, 2017 - - In our third installment of the Fuquans series, we are introducing six more of our amazing classmates and learning more about who they are. This time, we spoke to a former show choir member, an artist,...
11 Things To Do Before Moving to Durham May 2, 2017 - - 1. Find a place to live Here are a few choices: Solis Erwin Mills Berkshire The Heights Belmont Swift The Heights is currently the most common place to live among MMS students. It’s convenient for...
Hundreds of students gather at Fuqua Friday, Fuqua MMS experiences The Top 10 Must-Have Fuqua MMS Experiences April 18, 2017 - - 10. Fuqua Fridays The best way to ring in the weekend is with Fuqua Friday. The event is a mixer that happens every—you guessed it—Friday, with a variety of appetizers, beer, and wine open...
a computer being used to study for the GMAT Acing the GMAT April 7, 2017 - - Don’t be intimidated by the GMAT. In my opinion it’s probably one of the easier standardized tests, because it doesn’t have a specific syllabus to study. You can theoretically crack it based on your...
An admissions interview room 8 Tips to Ace Your Admissions Interview April 6, 2017 - - You worked hard to present your best self to the admissions committee through your application. You spent hours studying for exams, drafting meaningful essays, refining your resume, and working with professors and managers...
5 classmates after a team building exercise during orientation Fuquans: Meet 5 of Our Classmates April 6, 2017 - - In this second installment of our “Fuquans” series, we’re highlighting five of our classmates and getting to know a little more about them and what makes them tick. Two of the students came to Durham...
More than a dozen attendees of Fuqua Around the World pose for a photo with a Fuqua banner Don’t Miss Fuqua Around the World March 22, 2017 - - Fuqua Around The World (aka #FuquaATW) is a series of global networking and social events for Fuquans all over the globe. The events are organized by Fuqua’s alumni relations team, hosted by alumni in...
5 admitted students posing for a photo during Blue Devil Experience How Blue Devil Experience Changed My Life March 20, 2017 - - It’s spring break back in Durham and I’m in the Duke Kunshan University (DKU) library in China, waiting for two of my best friends to get out of their decision models class.  As I walked...
Five students teammates, Fuquans Fuquans: A Few People You’ll Love Getting to Know February 27, 2017 - - Upon arrival in Durham, we quickly realized one thing that stood out about Fuqua—the people. It’s such an interesting and diverse set of people that make up the Fuqua family. Our MMS Class...
A host will greet you upon arrival to Admissions for a campus visit What to Expect During a Campus Visit February 27, 2017 - - The moment you arrive at Fuqua for your campus visit, you’ll have the ability to see how well the Admissions staff and student Admissions ambassadors work together to ensure your visit is as informative as possible. The campus...
If you're admitted from the waitlist you'll get folder of admissions materials in the mail 3 Things to Do If You’re on the Waitlist February 2, 2017 - - There is nothing more stressful than the unknown. In this case I am talking about the unknown that is associated with being on the waitlist. Believe me I am well-acquainted with the feeling....
Tina and a classmate pose for a photo at graduation at the end of the program experience in China My Experience in China with the MMS: DKU Program February 1, 2017 - - Looking back at my time in the Master of Management Studies: Duke Kunshan University (MMS: DKU) program, the study-abroad experience in China has been the highlight of it all. Many prospective students ask...
students in a classroom during the Accenture Case Competition kickoff, a great opportunity to prepare for consulting careers How a Case Competition Prepared Students for Consulting Careers January 23, 2017 - - Management is an art as well as science. That is exactly why Fuqua provides its students a plethora of opportunities to practice what is taught in class. One such opportunity is the MMS...
The Value of Athletics at Duke and Fuqua January 6, 2017 - - Under the bright lights of Cameron Indoor Stadium, with an electric atmosphere ignited by the Cameron Crazies, the Duke basketball team defeated Michigan State 78-69 in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. For many across...
Cameron Indoor, sporting events at Duke The 8 Best Things About Sporting Events at Duke November 18, 2016 - - Duke University is consistently considered among the best in the world. We’re known for having superior academics, overseeing state of the art research, and being home to a number of Nobel Prize winners. However, in...
The author with 4 MMS student admissions ambassadors, What is MMS like? What is MMS Like? Answers to Your FAQs October 24, 2016 - - As the assistant director of MMS, I talk with a lot of students each and every day! Here are a few responses to common questions that I hear from prospective students, as well...
Dantong standing by the Fuqua sign, mms experience Advice for Maximizing the MMS Experience September 30, 2016 - - It’s been four months since I graduated, and I miss MMS and Fuqua so much. For those of you who are considering starting this amazing journey as business school students, I’d like to provide some...
on pit road during a NASCAR race, working in my dream job Landing My Dream Job August 30, 2016 - - My Life After Fuqua I’ve worked with Wasserman, a sports marketing and talent management company, for just over two years now. I primarily work on the Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company account team helping...
the winning student team holds up the trophy, Team Fuqua The Foundation of Team Fuqua August 18, 2016 - - Fuqua’s learning environment pushes students to hone in on a particular instinct—one that calls for us to draw out each individual’s particular strengths to help a team succeed. This mindset eventually becomes second nature to almost...
Fuqua's value of diversity is evident when seeing students in the MMS class Value of Diversity Attracted Me to Fuqua August 15, 2016 - - The Olympics in Rio have arrived and are in full swing! Each athlete has a different story and each country a unique history. But at the Olympics something special happens. Time seems to...
Our class at the corporate visit to Ant Financial - consulting projects Valuable Corporate Visits and Consulting Projects in China June 27, 2016 - - Corporate Visits One of the most valuable benefits for Master of Management Studies: Duke Kunshan University (MMS: DKU) students is career services. We have access to a group of advisors and staff dedicated to improving...
The Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. - travel during business school How to Make the Most out of Travel During Business School June 16, 2016 - - I am a traveler, and being in business school did not stop me from exploring the world outside of Fuqua. However, as a business school student, you need to add something new to your trips—networking!...
Unrivaled Returns: MMS Starts an Investment Club May 6, 2016 - - A remarkable ecosystem exists among entrepreneurs, corporate leaders and the financiers who create, fund and unlock business value. Yet that ecosystem often feels like nothing more than a distant theory in a classroom...
Leadership at Fuqua Leadership at Fuqua April 26, 2016 - - We talk a lot about ‘Consequential Leadership’ at Fuqua, and within the MMS Student Association (MMSA), we exhibit it. After our first term, 8 cabinet positions, 3 judiciary positions, and 8 club leadership positions are voted on. Students...
A Holi celebration during Fuqua Friday in the Fox Center, one of the facilities at Fuqua Facilities at Fuqua Create a Team Spirit April 11, 2016 - - A few weeks ago I was approached by a member of our alumni relations department. As a way to thank donors, she asked me to write something about the impact that Fuqua’s facilities have had on...
From Shakespeare to Business - Vivian From Shakespeare to Fuqua: The Transition to Business School March 10, 2016 - - Before my transition to business school, I had not studied business. During my undergraduate years, I immersed myself in liberal arts studies by pursuing a double major in English and Chinese literature. During my...
Duke Fuqua Masters of Management Studies Duke Kunshan students - Choosing a Masters of Management Program Choosing a Masters of Management Program: 4 Things to Consider January 27, 2016 - - Choosing a Masters of Management program (MMS) can be overwhelming. Even if you’ve decided on Duke, it’s still hard determine which of the school’s 2 different MMS programs to apply to. Some of my...
an MMS classroom - part of a day at Fuqua What a Day at Fuqua Looks Like January 20, 2016 - - Six months into the Master of Management Studies (MMS) program, I can assure you of one thing. There is no typical day at Fuqua if you take full advantage of the plethora of resources that...
Relationship Building Relationship Building: The Key to Success at Fuqua January 15, 2016 - - As Duke Masters of Management Studies (MMS) students reach the program’s homestretch—with 3 of the 5 semesters now complete—many look back on the past months, thankful for the opportunities that Fuqua has given...
Master of Management Studies admitted students Master of Management Studies Application: 3 Key Changes December 23, 2015 - - I have been in Admissions at Fuqua for almost 10 years, and I have to say that each new application year is always exciting. Who will I meet through the application process this...
The Fuqua admissions package arriving is one answer to "What happens after I'm admitted?" for Duke Master of Management Studies students What Happens After I’m Admitted? November 24, 2015 - - I will always remember that night: January 8, 2015. I was sitting in front of my laptop, preparing for my undergraduate thesis. Then my phone rang. It was the call from Associate Director...
Duke Master of Management Studies students at Fuqua get ready for their Duke Basketball Experience How Duke Basketball Taught Us Lessons in Business October 27, 2015 - - It’s not every day you get to experience Duke basketball firsthand, and especially behind the scenes. And it’s certainly not every day you get to experience this with your friends and fellow classmates....
Sahil beside Fuqua's sign as he begins his master of management degree at Duke Why I Chose to Pursue a Master of Management Degree at Duke October 13, 2015 - - Why would a software engineer who adores technology and is working at one of the biggest firms in the world drop that to pursue a master of management degree? Let me begin with my...
A photo story of my Duke Fuqua MMS experience as a student A Photo Story of My MMS Experience September 17, 2015 - - What is a year like for an MMSer here at Duke and Fuqua? It is a unique and different experience for each person. It can be described using millions of words. However, blogging best practices...
Jennifer Taylor, Fuqua partner and wife of a Duke MMS: DKU student Loving Life as a Fuqua Partner September 17, 2015 - - My name is Jennifer and I’m the beautiful wife of Austin, who was an MMS: DKU Class of 2015 student at the Fuqua School of Business. I absolutely loved being a partner of a...
Tossing our caps at the graduation ceremony - graduating from MMS, a masters program at Duke University's Fuqua School of Business Graduating from MMS! September 15, 2015 - - Looking back on it, the lead-up to graduating from MMS was hectic. MMS students were either scrambling to finalize their job offers, or were signing apartment leases in the cities where they were moving and...
The MMS Association is the student leadership body for the program at Duke Fuqua An Overview of MMS Student Leadership Positions August 19, 2015 - - Here at Fuqua, students can choose to take on leadership roles at the beginning of their respective programs. The Master of Management Studies program is no different. All students, both from the Foundations...
The Duke Basketball Experience - The MMS class president helps energize the student experience Q&A with Our Class President August 19, 2015 - - As I mentioned in my overview of the MMS Association (MMSA), there were some changes that resulted in the roles available to my Class of 2015 being slightly different from what is in place for the...
Duke MMS student leaders help organize events for students like this one at a trampoline park Q&A with MMS Student Leaders August 19, 2015 - - As I mentioned in my overview of the MMS Association (MMSA), there were some changes in the student leadership roles available for my Class of 2015 to what is currently in place for the...
Duke Fuqua MMS: DKU students travel in China and see the view from Victoria Peak in Hong Kong Travel in China Provides Cultural Insight—And a Lot of Fun August 10, 2015 - - A curious fact I learned soon after arriving in China is that what non-Chinese always refer to as the Chinese New Year, is actually called the Spring Festival by locals. The spring festival...
A Duke Fuqua Tesla test drive in China made possible by an alumnus Delivering Value Through MMS: DKU Career Support July 30, 2015 - - The MMS: DKU Class of 2015 started their journey in Durham during the summer of 2014 and came to China in January 2015 for the second half of the program. During their four...
Learning Made Fun by Fuqua’s International Faculty July 21, 2015 - - The faculty members who taught us during the MMS program are from all over the world, representing Chile, Mexico, Italy, China and the United States. My classmate, Savannah, has previously written a post...
International flags in the halls of Duke Fuqua Tips to Help International MMS Students Get Adjusted July 10, 2015 - - Adjusting is not an easy thing to do. I came to the United States from Indonesia back in 2010, and I still remember how I avoided something basic like contacting Comcast cable to...
Heights - Fuqua student housing Where MMS Students Live June 30, 2015 - - It’s last minute. You are trying to find a roommate (or not) and you have not decided where to live in Durham during your MMS program. At least that was the case with...
Shanghai skyline, getting hands-on experience in China Business and Culture: Classroom Lessons Applied in the Real World June 19, 2015 - - One of the most valuable pieces of our education in the MMS: DKU program is the real-world learning opportunities and hands-on experience that it provides us. Studying in one of the largest trade...
Duke Kunshan University campus in China Four Amazing Things About the First Term at Duke Kunshan University June 9, 2015 - - Although our first term at Duke Kunshan University (DKU) has passed, so many memorable and exciting parts of life there are still vivid in my mind. Below are the top four amazing things...
Fareed Khan at Fuqua School of Business Master of Management Studies (MMS) commencement ceremony in Cameron Indoor Stadium My Career, My Network and My Time at Fuqua June 1, 2015 - - What I’m doing professionally Since graduating with the MMS: FOB Class of 2014, I’ve been a consultant with Deloitte Advisory’s Finance and Operations Risk Transformation practice, working primarily with banking and securities clients....
Fuqua's Stop Hunger Now event Building a Legacy May 28, 2015 - - As I was approaching the end of the MMS program, I started to reflect on how I spent my time at Fuqua. I looked at my photos that recorded past activities and travels...
Duke MMS Students presenting in the Accenture Case Competition Consulting Experience: The Accenture Case Competition, Part 2 May 25, 2015 - - In the next few months, Fuqua will welcome the new batch of Master of Management Studies (MMS) students. If you are one of the lucky few, you might be thinking about what type...
Duke MMS students get the Duke Basketball Experience Lessons from the National Champion Duke Basketball Team May 16, 2015 - - It has now been just over a month since Duke beat Wisconsin to claim the national championship in men’s basketball. Even here in China, we rearranged the class schedule and found a way...
Fuqua Around the World 2015 at Duke Kunshan University Fuqua Around the World Comes to DKU May 7, 2015 - - Wednesday, March 25, was the scheduled date for Fuqua Around the World 2015. Which meant that on that day, more than 70 Fuqua networking and social events were to be held in different...
Duke MMS students on spring break in Miami One Last Run Before Graduation April 29, 2015 - - We’re almost there. In a couple of weeks we will have finished our time in the MMS: FOB program at Fuqua. This feels so surreal. Soon we will all be leaving to start...
MMS: DKU student experiences the Chinese New Year Cultural Lessons from the Chinese New Year April 15, 2015 - - Participating in the MMS: DKU program has given me an enriching and rewarding experience both inside and outside of the classroom. We were on campus in Kunshan leading up to the Chinese New...
First Impressions of China in the MMS: DKU Program April 8, 2015 - - Monday, January 19, 2015, was not a regular Monday. It was the day I arrived in Shanghai with three of my MMS: DKU classmates. We were all coming from different cities, but we...
What is a Winternship? April 1, 2015 - - It’s more than just a catchy name. ‘Winternships’ are four-week internship experiences designed to be completed during the break between fall and spring courses. Some students organized opportunities independently. However, the Career Management...
My Go-To Restaurants in Durham March 20, 2015 - - After spending several months in the beautiful city of Durham, North Carolina, I would consider myself extremely qualified to share my expertise on a subject I have studied in great detail: food. When...
Countdown to Craziness March 5, 2015 - - Now that we are at the end of the regular season and entering March Madness for men’s basketball, our loyalty to the Duke Blue Devils is stronger than ever. It is not uncommon...
Recruiting Season is Busy but Rewarding March 2, 2015 - - Since my last post a lot has happened. We are now in our fourth term, and I am all the way across the world in Kunshan, China! Time has really flown by, partially...
MMS Refresh: A New Term with New Teams February 24, 2015 - - After a long winter break that lasted until mid-January, it was hard to believe that all of our MMS: FOB class was back at Fuqua again. With only two terms left, MMS students...
Campout and the Duke Basketball Experience February 16, 2015 - - Even though I have been a fan of Duke basketball for quite some time, I didn’t fully understand all that went into the basketball season until I arrived on campus. First of all,...
How Clubs Enhance the MMS Experience February 13, 2015 - - Besides group meetings, classes and career events, MMS club events are frequent visitors to my Outlook calendar. There are two types of clubs in general—professional and recreational. I like both of them because...
Fuqua Helps Build Your Personal Brand February 4, 2015 - - At Fuqua, we talk a lot about branding. We’re taught in marketing class that brand equity is one of the most significant advantages a company can have. The Career Management Center takes this...
Fuqua Faculty Keeps Students Engaged January 28, 2015 - - During our time at Fuqua, we’ve been instructed by several different professors with varying teaching styles. All of the faculty members at Fuqua are great at what they do, and here are a...
The 26th Interesting Fact January 23, 2015 - - It’s time for new student admissions here at the MMS: FOB and MMS: DKU programs. With prospective students gearing up to do their best in writing the essays, I’m here to give you...
What is Networking and How does it Help My Job Search? January 12, 2015 - - If you are pondering this question, you are probably in a stage of your career development where knowing how networking functions will definitely help your long-term career exploration. To me, networking was a...
The Purpose, the Perks, the Posse—Balancing Priorities at Fuqua January 8, 2015 - - When you come to Fuqua, you will discover the need to develop your time management skills. This is not a place for procrastinators. I am going to run through a few fall term...
Gain Leadership Experience While Following Your Passion December 9, 2014 - - During my undergraduate career, it seemed that there were endless opportunities to become involved. Clubs based on preferred pastimes, organizations targeted towards future employment, and various leadership roles volleyed for my attention during...
Adventures Outside of Fuqua November 26, 2014 - - Amid trying to juggle classes, homework assignments, and the job search, it is easy to spend all of your day at Fuqua. Although Durham is a small city, it has a vibrant atmosphere...
Team Work at Fuqua is Beneficial & Fun November 22, 2014 - - Throughout the admissions process and during the first couple weeks of classes, I heard a lot about the Team Fuqua mindset that defined our business school.  I often wondered what this term really...
Career Development Opportunities November 7, 2014 - - My favorite part of MMS so far is various types of career management services that help students explore or target their dream jobs. Undoubtedly, one of the biggest purposes of paying big money...
Eating Well in Durham November 5, 2014 - - Durham has plenty of great options for restaurants and bars. Duke students have a variety of options to choose from, depending on what they are in the mood for. Pavilion East on Erwin...
Consulting Experience: The Accenture Case Competition, Part 1 October 31, 2014 - - How far would you go to experience new things? For some of my classmates, it would be about jumping out of a plane for skydiving. For others, it might be about traveling around...
The Duke Football Experience October 28, 2014 - - When I came to the MMS program I knew that attending classes from top-tier business professors was a given, but I wondered what else the overall experience would consist of.  When choosing a...
My Immersion in the Cultures and Languages at Fuqua October 28, 2014 - - The Culture and Language Immersion program (CLI) is a 5-day course designed to help international students be better prepared for life in Durham and Fuqua in particular. Moreover, it gives MMSers the opportunity...
Meeting My MMS Family October 22, 2014 - - Every person reacts to a new situation in a different way. For some, the prospect of a brand new setting with unfamiliar people elicits sentiments of excitement and joy—breaching a new horizon and...
Excited to See What Lies Ahead October 15, 2014 - - Back in July I arrived to Durham with two 70-pound suitcases, excited for what was to come. Being an international student, I had to fit everything I would need for the next six...
Why I Chose Fuqua October 9, 2014 - - Deciding on a college for your graduate studies can be a stressful task for students. You want to choose one that’s going to bring you closer to realizing your personal and professional goals....
Career Advisors for MMS: Welcome to the Network! October 1, 2014 - - When we originally joined the MMS: FOB program, the first goal for many of us was achieving the dream job. We knew that was the ultimate goal, and that the program would help...
Four Things About Fuqua and the First-Month Experience September 26, 2014 - - “Few-qualify. Fu-qua”. That’s how 145 Master of Management Studies (MMS) students learned to pronounce the name of The Fuqua School of Business during our orientation week in July. It feels amazing now that...
Why I Chose MMS: DKU September 22, 2014 - - It was a regular Tuesday on my undergrad campus when I heard about an info session for a master’s program at Duke. I was already excited to attend and when I heard there...
My 25 Interesting Facts August 29, 2014 - - A recent trend in MBA applications has been to ask questions that allow schools to get a sense of the applicant beyond the application itself. Fuqua specifically prides itself in valuing characteristics that...
Settling in Durham as an International Student: Part 2 August 8, 2014 - - As a recent Fuqua alumnus, I have reflected back on my year in the MMS program and all the new experiences I came across. It was intimidating in the beginning as an international...
MMS Program Launch July 31, 2014 - - The Master of Management Studies program is 10 months long, and there aren’t many who get to experience the excitement of going through orientation twice. But as a recent graduate, and the current...
The Duke Start–Up Challenge: Are You Game? July 23, 2014 - - One of the great things that’s constantly emphasized about Fuqua is that it is a risk-free learning environment. So does taking the element of risk out of speculative ventures enhance the learning potential?...
Corporate Tour Opportunity: Welcome to Facebook! July 16, 2014 - - What a great way to end Spring Break this past year by touring around the Facebook campus in lovely Menlo Park, CA! The Career Management Center (CMC), with the help of Career Ambassadors...
Setting Sail on the MMS Journey July 7, 2014 - - Welcome to Durham MMS Class of 2015! If you think that orientation week at Fuqua consists of casually mingling among your new program buddies over a drink or sitting in boring lectures hours...
mms students at house under construction Giving and Growing Outside the Classroom May 19, 2014 - - Although the MMS: FOB program will keep you running from the moment you start, finding time to give back to the community will make your experience in Durham so much more valuable. Here...
Driving in Durham: Tips for Future International Students April 29, 2014 - - Durham is a small city, but at the same time, everything is scattered around. I like to wander, but it’s still a little hard to quickly travel around Durham by bus. So I...
A Lesson in (Time) Management April 18, 2014 - - “I am definitely going to take a course on time management … just as soon as I can work it into my schedule.” – Louis E. Boone This quote very well captures the...
MMS students at Habitat for Humanity construction site Habitat for Humanity: Building Houses for the Durham Community March 19, 2014 - - On an afternoon in November, I found myself traveling to a small neighborhood on Durham-Chapel Hill Road. As I pulled up the driveway with four classmates, I saw three houses under construction that...
Are you a Fuqua Fit? March 12, 2014 - - The final application deadline for Fuqua’s MMS: FOB program, April 1, 2014, is only a couple of weeks away. If you’re still wondering if you fit the bill of the ideal MMS candidate,...
What I Found Along the Road February 21, 2014 - - In 2013, I set some big goals for myself. Two of those goals ended up becoming my biggest achievements for the year: I was accepted into the MMS: Foundations of Business program and...
MMS Students reach for the sky. Thoughts on Duke and Durham February 14, 2014 - - Duke and Durham are really different from anything I’ve experienced before or expected. As an international student and as a Fuquan, here are some things I’ve experienced and observed since being here that...
From the Court to the Classroom: The “Fist” Team Analogy February 14, 2014 - - If you ask me, North Carolina is home to the best college basketball in the world. I grew up on the folklore of Tobacco Road, and for those unfamiliar with North Carolina, Tobacco...
To Apply or Not? That’s the Question & Here’s My Answer: January 27, 2014 - - It’s seventh grade, and I’m listening to my teacher, Mrs. Stoltz, speak about our assignments for the day. The flow chart on the wall delineates our projects for the duration of class. As...
Business Case Competition Provides Consulting Experience January 16, 2014 - - Now that most of the MMS: FOB class has gone through the first rush of recruiting season, it seems that one of the popular routes is consulting. I had only vaguely heard of...
25 Random Things: Are You the Next Piece of the Puzzle? January 9, 2014 - - In my last post, I talked about Team Fuqua. Team Fuqua is what it is because of its people. Each person admitted into one of the MMS programs is an irreplaceable piece of...
Networking is like a Game of Ping Pong, Literally December 26, 2013 - - When you’re a graduate student at The Fuqua School of Business, even the fortune cookie that you get with your Chinese takeout food gives you the same advice — “attend receptions, send emails...
Fuqua’s Got Talent: A Different Side of Business School December 16, 2013 - - When one thinks of business school, suits, recruiting, and stressful late-night study sessions frequently come to mind. It is a place where accomplished individuals from all over the world gather to learn, grow,...
The Brand Challenge Mission December 6, 2013 - - Recently, my fellow MMSers and I were given the opportunity to participate in the MBA Marketing Club’s Brand Challenge. The annual event is a fun and collaborative competition where teams of students develop...
An American Roadtrip December 2, 2013 - - Coming to America, I knew that Thanksgiving was a festive tradition that brought families together to show appreciation for the freedom and liberties they enjoyed. Many international MMS students were invited to celebrate...
Give the Admissions Process Your Best—Don’t Let Doubts Overcome You November 27, 2013 - - I was sitting in accounting class, listening to the lecture on accounts receivable, and during the break I heard all the different languages around me: Chinese, Korean, and Hindi. I suddenly realized how...
An Absence Makes the Bonds Stronger November 26, 2013 - - I have to say, business school is hard. After 3 months of intense learning and work, everyone was desperately looking for a break. So the moment we finished exams for Fall Term 1,...
My 25 Random Things November 25, 2013 - - Recently, Fuqua’s Admissions team instituted a question in the application that asks for 25 random things about applicants. From quirks and passions to hopes and fears, be yourself and let your personality shine...
Discovering Fuqua’s Diversity through International Events November 22, 2013 - - After two really short but busy terms in the MMS: FOB program at Fuqua, we got a much-needed fall break. After the surge of on-campus recruiting, the mad frenzy of classes, company information...
There’s a First Time for Everything at Duke November 19, 2013 - - If you’re a “How I Met Your Mother” enthusiast like me, you’ll remember one of the golden rules — “new is always better.” As someone who lived in the same city for all...
My First American Halloween November 15, 2013 - - It all started long before October 31. Already in the middle of September, when it was still hot as though summer wasn’t going to leave at all, I went for groceries and saw...
Settling in Durham as an International Student: Part 1 November 8, 2013 - - Finding Housing, Transportation, and Furniture Coming from central London, where I studied my undergraduate degree, I knew from the start that my transition to Durham would be tough. I had never lived in...
Two MMS Programs Offer Opportunities to Stretch & Grow November 7, 2013 - - “Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Nearly everyone laughs when I share this quip by the American humorist Will Rogers. It isn’t particularly American, of...
My Favorite Part of Fuqua: A Feeling of Belonging October 18, 2013 - - You step inside the doorway, and your heart tingles with excitement. The first thing you see is the hallway with the row of flags from every country represented at Fuqua. You spot the...
Why Duke? Why Fuqua? October 15, 2013 - - Duke. Fuqua. These two words are game changers. Being accepted into a program that is a part of both? That is life changing. Ok, well maybe being accepted into the MMS: Foundations of...
The MMS Experience: Learn to Love Networking! October 11, 2013 - - The Fox Center is in full action, and Fuqua is getting busier as the days go by. It seems like the school year just started, except that we are already almost done with...
Preparing for Career Success with MMS October 4, 2013 - - My favorite part of the MMS: Foundations of Business program is the focus on self-assessment and development. So far, we’ve focused on this in our Business Communications class, as well as workshops on...
Opening My Next Chapter with MMS October 2, 2013 - - Why Duke? Why Fuqua? Why MMS? From the admissions process to conversations with employers, family, or friends, be sure to truly take the time to reflect on these questions. They are asked time...
Be Yourself When Responding to New Application Essay September 30, 2013 - - As many of you have now noticed, we’ve changed our MMS application essays a bit! We found that our essay questions did not allow you to really show us who you are, and...
Finding the Perfect Path September 24, 2013 - - I graduated from Meredith College, a women’s college in Raleigh, NC, with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and two minors in history and Italian. So how did a person like me end up...
What is Team Fuqua? September 23, 2013 - - From day one of the MMS: Foundations of Business program, I was sold on Team Fuqua. You can feel it the moment you step on campus. Every student is here for the same...
My Number One Lesson From MMS September 17, 2013 - - Networking. It’s a term that you’ll probably get sick of at Fuqua. But what does it even mean? According to Merriam-Webster, net·work·ing is “the exchange of information or services among individuals; specifically: the...
Lessons Learned from MMS and the Job Search September 13, 2013 - - The past 6 months were the longest half-year I’ve ever had. It was filled with hopes and let-downs and hopes again. It seemed as if I had entered an endless cycle, starting with...
The Best Cafes & Sweet Shops in Durham August 2, 2013 - - During my time at Fuqua, I noticed that two key items became exceedingly popular to students — coffee and sweets. Durham offers a lot of unique dining and drinking options that you won’t...
MMS: The 10-Month Balancing Act July 19, 2013 - - You’ve got 10 months to explore a new city, maybe even a new country, a new school, meet 100s of new people, and learn everything you can in 15 different classes. Ready. Set....
Top 5 Lessons from Business School July 17, 2013 - - 1. Don’t Just Accept Everything, Question it First Coming from China, I didn’t see myself as a person with “superb critical thinking” written on my personal brand, and I believed this could become...
Three Tips for New MMS Students July 1, 2013 - - Looking back at my MMS experience, I cannot believe how fast the program went by. In the beginning of the summer session, everyone will tell you how quick the program goes by, but...
Fuqua Friday - Delicious dinner and cultural feast What’s “Fuqua Friday?” June 17, 2013 - - When’s the last time you watched a cook off, a dance off, learned about a cultural tradition you’d previously known nothing about, and had dinner with hundreds of people in a casual setting,...
Blowing Off Some Steam June 12, 2013 - - An important part of being in the MMS program is knowing how to unwind. The program is so fast paced that it’s easy to get swept away by assignments, finals, and the job...
Surviving the Last Days of Class June 7, 2013 - - What is business school like? It is definitely a bitter-sweet experience. Example? Well, at the end of the program, we juggled a hard-core final project with other exams and lots of end-of-the-year activities....
Happy, Sad, and Everything In Between: The End of MMS May 30, 2013 - - When I finished my last official class as part of the MMS program, I was so happy. I found myself in a favorable position — gainfully employed, graduating with a master’s degree, and...
My Favorite Fuqua Professor — Michael Roach May 23, 2013 - - If I asked you what separates a good professor from a great professor, what would you say? Would they make you call them “Oh captain, my captain?” or would it be requisite that...
Where to Live in Durham May 20, 2013 - - So you’ve decided that the MMS program is perfect for you and now you’re trying to decide where to live. Well, you’ve come to just the right place! I’ll be giving you the...
Lily Han and Tracy Jin Too Many Iron Chefs in the Kitchen April 30, 2013 - - Many moons ago before I was in business school and had time to watch television, I remember hearing about a show called Iron Chef. I never really got into the show because it...
OPT = Optional Practical Training for International Students April 29, 2013 - - As graduation gets closer, many international students have already filed their Optional Practical Training (OPT) status with Duke Visa Services. Here is what I have found out about OPT and what it can...
MMS is Good Fit for Student-Athletes April 23, 2013 - - Duke University is a part of the ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference) with 26 different sports representing the university. This year, we were proud to have 8 varsity athletes in the MMS program: Dan...
MMS Interns Provide Valuable Support April 19, 2013 - - Almost a year ago, I graduated from the MMS program, eager to apply the skills that I had learned to build a successful career. If someone had told me though, that I would...
Frankie’s Fun Park Lives Up to its Name April 18, 2013 - - Work hard, play hard. It’s a mantra you’ll hear over and over at Fuqua. Luckily for us, it’s not just a mantra, but a true philosophy by which Fuqua students live. So it’s...
Hello colorful spring! Holi—Festival of Colors April 16, 2013 - - During the MMS program, I’ve been exposed to different cultures, since many of my classmates are international. Recently, some of my friends from India included me in one of their traditional celebrations. Being teammates with...
MBA Games Coming Soon! April 10, 2013 - - The time has come (the walrus said) for the MMS team to tie up any loose fundraising ends and gear up for the MBA Games Weekend, which starts this Friday. (See my previous...
A True Cultural & Educational Exchange April 1, 2013 - - It’s hard to believe that just 9 months ago I hadn’t even met any of my classmates, yet now they’re some of my closest friends. But what’s most interesting to me is how...
For the Kids March 20, 2013 - - One day while messing around on Facebook during lunch, I noticed that my friend, Kourtney Kellin, had added an acronym to her name on her profile. It read “FTK” in bold letters. Scrunching...
Finance Internship — A Gift that Keeps Giving March 20, 2013 - - Climbing the corporate ladder requires one to gain a lot of experience, not only to get started, but also to obtain promotions. The former is often the greatest struggle for recent graduates at...
MMS Throws Hat into MBA Games Ring March 19, 2013 - - Every year MBA students organize fundraising events for the Duke MBA Games, a charity benefiting the Special Olympics of North Carolina. Students are registered via an online platform, teams are assembled, and fundraisers...
Overcoming Stage Fright March 15, 2013 - - When I was little, I had severe stage fright. We’re talking SEVERE. For example, when I was just 3 years old, I marched up to my dance instructor, an intimidating former Rockette, and...
A Different Kind of Rodeo March 12, 2013 - - Come one, come all to the Food Truck Rodeo! What exactly is a food truck rodeo? It’s an event that occurs a couple times a year, and all the food trucks in the...
It’s Flunch Time March 8, 2013 - - Every term we have lunches called “flunches,” which are lunches with faculty members, sponsored by the MMSA (the MMS Association). These lunches serve as a unique opportunity to get to know our new...
MMS = Master of Many Sports? March 7, 2013 - - Duke University is world renowned for two things — its bright, young scholars and the highly successful basketball program. You might imagine that the two worlds of educational pursuits and athletic endeavors operate...
Taking the Slopes by Storm (Literally!) March 6, 2013 - - The MMS Outdoor Adventure Club put together the most fantastic ski trip recently. That’s right … ski trip! My ears perked up, too when I heard about the excursion. My mind immediately went...
Entrepreneurship – From Theory to Practice March 4, 2013 - - Durham is arguably at the center of the growing Research Triangle Park area that fosters a massive amount of technology startups. Incubators and programs for entrepreneurs to meet, converse, and solve problems are...
Internships Pay Off in More Ways than One February 27, 2013 - - So, you know what an internship is. You may have even done one or two over the years. But, what about a winternship? These are internships that Fuqua’s Career Management Center (CMC) sets...
OUR HOUSE! The DUKE vs. UNC Campout Payoff February 25, 2013 - - For those of you unfamiliar with the weird ways of the Duke sports scene, there is a time called Campout, which is a giant contest created to test the will and stamina of...
Application Tips from Admissions Officers February 22, 2013 - - It’s application time for the MMS program! As an Admissions Ambassador, I’m often in contact with those involved in the admissions process, so I thought I’d see if they have any tips or...
BBQ and Basketball February 13, 2013 - - Fuqua has fun events all the time — sometimes it’s difficult to choose which events to attend because there are so many options! For example, the other week there was a tailgating party...
My First Super Bowl February 7, 2013 - - My classmate Zach gave me a high-five when I walked into the Satisfaction restaurant, saying “I am proud of you!” He was actually referring to the fact that I’d be watching the Super...
Friendly, Knowledgeable Career Advice January 29, 2013 - - At Fuqua, there is a wonderful program called Volunteer Alumni Career Fellows (VACF). The VACFs are Fuqua MBA alumni who volunteer to be paired with an MMS student by the Career Management Center...
Career discussion panel with Duke MMS alumni Coaches Assist with Career Navigation January 25, 2013 - - No one goes into grad school thinking that they don’t want a job by the time they graduate. However, the recruiting process is competitive, intimidating, and confusing. Through the MMS program, though, we’ve...
A Heart for Service January 17, 2013 - - Before coming to Fuqua, serving on the MMS Association (MMSA) Executive Board was not even remotely in my mind. I am not even sure if I was aware of its existence. Despite this...
Beneficial Career Prep Courses January 14, 2013 - - The MMS program is known for its distinguished group of professors, but one of the many things that are less noticed are the pre-professional programs offered. Two events in particular are Training the...
Thinking about Applying to MMS? January 9, 2013 - - Application season for next year’s MMS class is in full swing! The next application deadline is January 24, and as an Admissions Ambassador, I’m very excited to start answering questions about the program....
Fuqua Network Still Strong After Graduation January 7, 2013 - - I truly loved being a part of Fuqua during my year in the MMS program. Aside from the academic and career-oriented aspects of it, you really feel like you’re in a close-knit family....
Language Resources for International Students January 2, 2013 - - Six months ago I came to the United States for the first time. Clutching a long to-do list, I was thrilled and nervous. But soon I realized how much help was available. For...
Alumni Benefits – Events for Entrepreneurs December 6, 2012 - - Entrepreneurship has always been something that I’ve had a strong interest in, and I like to think of myself as an “entrepreneur in training.” While I was a student at Fuqua, I found...
My First Duke Basketball Experience November 29, 2012 - - When people think of Duke, usually the first thing that comes to mind is basketball. How exciting would it be to play with former Duke basketball players? I found out on Team Changeover...
The Business of Sports November 28, 2012 - - Are you a sports enthusiast? If so, you would have LOVED the recent panel on The Business of Sports. Fuqua worked side-by-side with Wasserman Media Group (an international sports marketing company) to put on...
MMS is Not Like a Fifth Year of College November 20, 2012 - - Coming right from undergraduate studies, most MMSers (including me) have little to no full-time work experience. It is easy to get into the mindset that MMS is a fifth year of undergrad. But...
Top 3 Reasons to Join MMS November 15, 2012 - - For the next 8 months, I’ll be living in a town that I knew nothing about until earlier this year: Durham, North Carolina. For 18 years, I lived in the same state, in...
Halloween, MMS Style November 9, 2012 - - For Halloween, the MMS Connoisseurs Club organized an eventful party at the Lofts. There was food (cake, cookies, cider, candy and ribs) and a lot of great costumes including two classmates dressed as...
MBA Alumni Provide Career Coaching November 9, 2012 - - Fuqua’s Career Management Center (CMC) deserves HUGE props for setting up numerous activities to prepare us for the professional world. The CMC set up mock interview sessions, resume writing workshops, and even interactive...
I Heart New York November 6, 2012 - - By the end of our hectic second semester we were all desperately in need of a vacation, and we couldn’t have been more grateful for fall break! Classmates planned trips to New York,...
Rekindling My Political Interest November 2, 2012 - - Everyone around me seemed to be breathless and frazzled. It was the end of the first fall term, and with our first real break and Halloween coming up, perhaps it was appropriate that...
On a campus tour of Capital One. Corporate Insights November 1, 2012 - - At Fuqua, we get every Wednesday off! We try to make the most of it. There are often club and extracurricular events. They are also good days for mini trips and corporate visits....
The MMS Marketing Club at Your Service October 31, 2012 - - Being a vice president of the MMS Marketing Club has been exciting and challenging for me. I am responsible for communications, i.e. releasing a weekly newsletter, maintaining the club’s blog and Facebook group,...
Coming to a Crossroads & Choosing MMS October 23, 2012 - - Anyone who has experienced a senior year, whether during high school or college, can relate to the emotional twinge in response to the question: “So, what’s next?” It’s a question that can initially...
The “Typical” B-School Student? October 18, 2012 - - When you think of graduate students at business school, I’m sure you think of people with backgrounds related to finance, economics, and maybe even engineering. Right? Wrong. As the business world is growing...
Seeing MMS From The Other Side October 16, 2012 - - Participating in Case Competition Brings Back Memories I recently had the opportunity to return to Fuqua for the first time since I graduated in May. It was great to be back in Durham...
Tips on Moving to Durham October 12, 2012 - - Everyone knows that moving to a new city is nothing less than stressful, but the only word I can think of to describe moving to another continent is “overwhelming.” There were so many...
Language Institute Teaches More than English October 4, 2012 - - For the first time this summer, MMS students attended the Fuqua Language Institute with MBA students. All participants were incoming international students who had not spent significant time in the United States. The...
Why I Chose MMS September 28, 2012 - - There are a couple questions that everyone asks: Why did you choose Fuqua? Why MMS? And by everyone, I mean Fuqua’s Admissions Office, fellow MMSers, job recruiters, random MBAs I meet at Fuqua,...
Breaking into Consulting September 21, 2012 - - Case Competition Provides Valuable Learning Experience Placing second out of 22 teams at my first consulting competition … “happy” doesn’t even begin to describe my feelings! My fellow MMSers and I were lucky...
Math Camp Zombies September 17, 2012 - - “Math camp? You’re doing math camp next week?” — my friend asked in disbelief after hearing that I was about to begin a week-long math review. While choking on my answer, I realized...
Wanted: Consulting Job August 27, 2012 - - MMS Grad Offers Tips on Recruitment Process My classmate and recent grad Alex Swan (MMS ’12) is now a Global Business Services Consultant at IBM in San Francisco. Recruiting for consulting positions begins earlier...
Job Search Tips for International Students August 10, 2012 - - Searching for a job as an international student is completely different from searching as an American citizen or a legal resident. Following are some tips and things I wish I had known early...
Everyone at Fuqua is a Resource August 1, 2012 - - Take Advantage of Networking Opportunities If you haven’t heard already, one of the most amazing things about being at Fuqua is the unlimited access to the “Fuqua network.” It goes without saying that...
Dining in Durham July 27, 2012 - - One of my favorite things about Durham was all the great food, especially Southern food. During my year in Durham, I became a big fan of many restaurants — places I miss a...
Do This in Durham: July 20, 2012 - - Looking back, there are some things that I should have taken more advantage of during my stay in Durham. Don’t let these things pass YOU by: The Duke Gardens: I went there once...
Where to Live in Durham? July 12, 2012 - - A big question on my mind as I prepared to move to Durham was where I was going to live. Of primary concern to me was safety, but price and proximity to school...
Class of 2013: Prepare for your MMS Journey July 10, 2012 - - Hello MMS Class of 2013! As you prepare to move to Durham and get started at Fuqua, I thought I’d share a few tips to make your transition into academic life a bit...
First Month At My Dream Job July 5, 2012 - - I mentioned in previous posts that I’d be working for Wells Fargo in Charlotte. While I was greatly looking forward to that position, my circumstances changed, and it was in my best interest...
I Wish I’d Known: June 18, 2012 - - Before starting the MMS program, there are a few things that I wish I would have known: This is going to be hard for everyone – everyone will struggle. Don’t feel alone! The...
Putting the MMS Degree to Good Use June 11, 2012 - - Chronicling my MMS journey has been an amazing experience, and now as an alumna I hope to give you some perspective on how I’m putting my degree to use. I’ve had a long...
Durham’s Hidden Gem: Meelo’s Restaurant June 6, 2012 - - Several of my classmates who attended Duke for undergrad constantly raved about the restaurant scene in Durham … Cosmic Cantina, Satisfaction, Café Parizade, Vin Rouge, Alivia’s: these were some of the places that...
Meet MMS Professor Sharon Belenzon June 4, 2012 - - I had the pleasure of sitting down with Fuqua Professor Sharon Belenzon who teaches a strategy class in the MMS program. It was a privilege to learn more about his research and interests:...
Here are my Votes: May 30, 2012 - - Favorite MMS Moment: Triangle Training Favorite Professor: Scott Dyreng Favorite Off-Campus Hangout: American Tobacco District Best MMS Social Event: Winter Formal Best BBQ: Q-Shack Favorite Late-Night Eatery: Thai Cafe Best Local Deals/Happy Hour:...
Adding My Two Cents … May 29, 2012 - - Favorite MMS Moment: There’s too much to choose from, so I’ll just say what my favorite class moment was — it was when we discussed the Bayer case in Business Communications class. Favorite...
My Duke & Durham Superlatives May 28, 2012 - - Favorite MMS Moment: Every moment! Hahaha. No, I’m serious. I loved being here. Favorite Professor: Bob Nau. He taught Spreadsheet Modeling, and he’s my favorite! He’s amazing – he included screenshots with every...
A Few Recommendations: May 25, 2012 - - Favorite MMS Moment: Getting tickets to the Duke-UNC game at Cameron! Favorite Professor: Aaron Kay Favorite Off-Campus Hangout Spot: Shooters II Best MMS Social Event: Formal Favorite Late-Night Eatery: Cookout Best Local Deals/Happy...
My Favorite Things … May 24, 2012 - - Favorite MMS Moment: Triangle Training Favorite Professor: Sharon Belenzon Favorite Off-Campus Hangout: Guglhupf or the Washington Duke patio Best MMS Social Event: Winter Formal Best BBQ: Blue Note Grille and Q-Shack Favorite Late-Night...
A Gift to Fuqua May 24, 2012 - - It feels great to have made it through the MMS program, and finally join another wonderful alumni network. Watching everyone file past in their robes during graduation made me extremely proud of my...
Celebrations & Reflections May 14, 2012 - - Fuqua sponsored our end-of-the-year banquet just over a week ago at one of Durham’s best Italian restaurants, Piazza Italia. The event provided an opportunity to celebrate each other and our accomplishments. It was...
Meet Emma Hamm: Student & Lacrosse Athlete May 11, 2012 - - MMS student Emma Hamm had a packed schedule outside of school. She’s played on the Duke Women’s Lacrosse team and was a first team All-American last season, as well as a finalist for...
Some Final Fuqua Events May 10, 2012 - - During the last few weeks of the MMS program, there were many events to celebrate and embrace how far we’ve come, as well as give back to the community. One of our final...
The Initial MMS Admissions Process May 10, 2012 - - Take it One Step at a Time I remember when I first found out about the MMS program – I was Googling master’s programs in the States when I learned that Duke had...
Looking Back, While Looking Forward May 8, 2012 - - As I Walk Away from MMS, I See That I’ve Gained A Lot How quickly things change! Just a few weeks ago I was anxiously shooting my resume out to companies, hoping to...
10-Month Marathon May 2, 2012 - - I started the MMS program in July of last year, and now, graduation is around the corner. In the 10-month program, I’ve covered quantitative analysis, accounting, business communication, marketing, strategy, finance, decision analysis...
Research Assistant Work Provides Valuable Experience April 30, 2012 - - Since February, a classmate, Crystal Luo, and I have worked as assistants to Fuqua Executive in Residence Bill Sax. Professor Sax has run a small business consulting course for more than 25 years....
Exams! April 30, 2012 - - This week we are taking our last MMS exams! And I’ve found that they are no different than those I took during undergrad in that they’re no fun and require a lot of...
Spring Social April 28, 2012 - - Earlier this year, the MMS Black Student Association had the opportunity to host a mixer with our MBA counterparts, The Black & Latino MBA Organization (BLMBAO). The event was a great opportunity to...
Career Coaching April 27, 2012 - - One of my favorite aspects of the MMS program has been the career coaching, which every student has access to. My coach is Helen, and she’s the best! At the beginning of the...
Charity Tournament April 26, 2012 - - The MMS Non-Profit Club will host its final event for the 2011-2012 academic year this Saturday, April 28. The club will host a singles charity tennis tournament to raise money for the charities...
Principles of Paying for MMS April 26, 2012 - - If you’ve chosen to join the MMS Class of 2013, congratulations and welcome to Team Fuqua! An important aspect of your education is figuring out how you’re going to finance it. My posting...
Get Your Foot in the Stock Market April 25, 2012 - - If you’re anything like me, you’ve never really delved into the tangled mess that is the stock market – and you might consider yourself lucky. If you find yourself curious though, like I...
International Festivities April 24, 2012 - - Duke recently held its annual Springternational Festival (click for some photos from the event). As the name suggests, this event is held every spring to celebrate the diverse cultures which exist at Duke...
Gaining Quantitative Skills April 19, 2012 - - I come from a very non-quantitative background. I did international studies for my undergrad major, so there were no classes that required quantitative skills. One of the reasons I wanted to come to...
Top 5 Reasons to Join MMS April 11, 2012 - - Attending the MMS program is one of the best (if not the best) decision I have made. I had no clue about the MMS program until after I scored well on the GMAT...
Graduation On My Mind April 10, 2012 - - It’s hard to believe, but in about 30 days I’ll be a graduate of The Fuqua School of Business! The last 10 months have gone by quickly, and I must say it’s been...
European Vacation April 6, 2012 - - One of the best perks about going to Fuqua is its spring break, and specifically the length: two weeks instead of one. We were out of class from March 4 – 18. Now,...
Dinner with the Dean April 3, 2012 - - On Wednesday, March 28, the MMS Class of 2012 had the opportunity to have dinner with the Dean of The Fuqua School of Business, Bill Boulding. The dinner was held at The Cotton...
Dear Prospective Student: April 2, 2012 - - A little over one year ago I was in your shoes, applying to the MMS program and trying to decide if it was the best fit for me. I’ve written several blog posts...
Business in Africa Symposium March 29, 2012 - - I recently attended the first symposium held by the newly formed MBA Business in Africa Club. The club’s focus is to prepare those with an interest in Africa for the business opportunities that...
Career Resources for International Students March 28, 2012 - - We all know that the world economy is not at its best – and the same goes for the economy here, too. It’s especially difficult for us internationals because along with the cultural...
The Business of Moneyball March 27, 2012 - - Book & Movie Review Moneyball is the third Michael Lewis book that I’ve read this year, but this time it’s accompanied by a movie. Lewis has quickly become one of my favorite authors,...
Strategy Class Leaves Lasting Impression March 26, 2012 - - So far, one of the most interesting MMS classes I’ve taken is Principles of Strategy, taught by Professor Sharon Belenzon. This class was very different from anything I had taken before, and was...
Disappointing Loss Doesn’t Overshadow Memorable Season March 21, 2012 - - Duke basketball made history again, but unfortunately, it was for all the wrong reasons. A number two seed losing its first game to a 15 seed in the NCAA Tournament is rare. In...
Duke Supports Entrepreneurs March 14, 2012 - - Is becoming an entrepreneur a part of your career goals? Business school can be one of the many important steps you’ll need to achieve this goal and Fuqua’s curriculum provides excellent preparation. Since...
There’s Nothing Like a Duke – UNC Game in Cameron March 8, 2012 - - Any sports fan will tell you the Duke-UNC rivalry is the greatest in college sports, maybe even the best in all of American sports. Even though I didn’t attend Duke during my undergraduate...
Bringing March Madness to the Web March 6, 2012 - - Turner Broadcasting was on campus the other week – and I know it has been said before, but it bears repeating – Fuqua attracts the most amazing speakers! Three “Turner Talks” were scheduled...
Former Infosys Chairman & CEO Talks Leadership March 3, 2012 - - I love the guest speakers that Fuqua brings in. Recently, the former Chairman and CEO of Infosys, Narayana Murthy came to the school to discuss lessons in leadership as part of the Distinguished...
A Fashionable Celebration March 2, 2012 - - Black History Month is celebrated by millions of people of color in the United States as a testament to the richness and diversity of black history and culture. In an effort to showcase...
Snowboarding in the South March 1, 2012 - - On President’s Day Weekend, 25 MMS students headed to Wintergreen, a ski resort in Virginia, for a weekend of snowboarding and skiing. This event, put on by the MMS outdoor adventure club, gave...
Students Hit the Slopes February 29, 2012 - - Most people don’t think of “skiing” when they think of North Carolina, but there are some great ski resorts only hours away. The MMS Outdoor Activities Club recently spent a weekend at the...
Meet Molly Lester: MMS Student & Duke Soccer Captain February 28, 2012 - - Molly Lester is an MMS classmate and Duke Women’s Soccer captain. Her team had a great season last year, and they made it to the finals of the National Championship. I enjoyed the...
Movie Reminds Me of Team Fuqua February 25, 2012 - - The Black Student Association recently held its first official club outing. We took a trip to see the movie Red Tails. The movie chronicles the challenges faced by the first all-African American unit...
Connoisseurs Club Celebrates their Love of Baked Goods! February 24, 2012 - - It is safe to say that February 14 is most everyone’s least favorite made-up holiday. If you’re in a relationship, it’s that frustrating day where you have to get someone a gift for...
Olympian Hopeful Excels in MMS & on Duke Swim Team February 21, 2012 - - The MMS program doesn’t just admit some of the smartest people in the world. It attracts some of the world’s best athletes, too. I don’t fall into that category, but as a former...
A Day in My Life In China February 17, 2012 - - As an MMS Alumnus, I Live in China & Work for Fuqua 8:00 AM — I pop up from my IKEA bed, briskly swipe my finger to turn down the alarm on my...
Duke – UNC Rivalry February 10, 2012 - - After spending nearly eight months in the Triangle, I can now clearly feel the bad blood between Duke and the University of North Carolina. I have made several friends at UNC, so when...
Hosting International Visitors February 9, 2012 - - Fuqua recently hosted a group of prospective students from the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA). The group of roughly 25 students visited a number of schools in the Research Triangle...
Fast Food Cravings February 2, 2012 - - Durham has many great dining options, but I’m not going to discuss anything gourmet. Or expensive. Life at Fuqua is busy, and sometimes, you need to get food quickly. Or even if you’re...
Personal Job Search: Finding the Right Fit February 1, 2012 - - There are many factors that go into a job hunt, and looking for a job is often a painful and tedious task that requires great patience. It’s important to find a job that...
Fuqua Friday: Lunar New Year Style February 1, 2012 - - Last week’s Fuqua Friday was a celebration of Asian culture and cuisine, in honor of the Lunar New Year. Celebrating this holiday has become one of Fuqua’s cultural traditions. The celebration featured a...
My First Lunar New Year January 26, 2012 - - One of the resounding themes of the MMS program and Fuqua in general, is the large value that is placed on diversity in terms of background, experience, and culture. This past weekend marked...
Days of My Life January 24, 2012 - - No two days are the same in this program. Some days are crazy busy, while some are less packed. It all depends on what term you’re in and what activities you’ve signed up...
Class Teaches Practical Lessons January 20, 2012 - - Business Communications Course Focuses on the Right Job Skills I recently spoke with my future manager at Wells Fargo, and I set up the conversation so I could gain insight on what I...
Open House — You’re Invited! January 18, 2012 - - Open Houses are a great way for prospective students to engage with current MMSers and determine whether the program is a good fit for them. Open Houses are supported by MMS Admissions Ambassadors....
Winterning January 17, 2012 - - To help entertain myself during our 5-week break, I decided to pursue a “Winternship” opportunity. Like the name implies, these internships are conveniently offered during winter break. Winternships are highly sought after, and...
Nearby Art January 14, 2012 - - The North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh is a great place to visit, especially when they have special exhibitions and shows. Over the past few years, there have been several exhibitions to...
Looking Forward to Next Semester January 13, 2012 - - Winter break has provided some wonderful downtime for me so far. I have been able to relax and enjoy the fact that I don’t have to think about anything really quantitative. Christmas was...
What is a Leader of Consequence? January 12, 2012 - - A reader recently asked this question, and I thought it would be helpful to provide a broader response. The truth of the matter is that “Leader of Consequence” has a different meaning for...
The Best Way to Spend a Duke Break January 11, 2012 - - Having 15 courses during 10 short months makes the MMS program intense, and the breaks in between particularly precious. There are competing priorities during these breaks including job searches, internships, visiting family, and...
First Night Raleigh January 10, 2012 - - On December 31, we bring in the New Year with a bang in Raleigh – or a drop, rather. First Night Raleigh is a New Year’s Eve celebration in downtown. Citizens of the...
Carpe Diem! January 9, 2012 - - I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions. Every year, people come up with a bucket list and then a few weeks later, they throw it in the trash can. I’m no different. I’ve...
My New Year’s Resolutions January 3, 2012 - - 2011 was a great year. I had the chance to work in Ghana before moving over to Duke and the MMS program. My experiences have taught me a lot, and I look forward...
A Grad Student’s New Year’s Resolutions: January 3, 2012 - - Drink less vanilla-flavored coffee and more green tea No more jalapeño chips before lunch Pack a lunch for long school days Get better at carpooling to school No more parking tickets Remember my...
Diversity in MMS & Why it Matters December 29, 2011 - - Every educational institution talks about how diverse they are, and Fuqua is no different. The MMS website says: 30% of the student body has international citizenship, representing over 20 countries. Students come from 77 different undergraduate...
Bubble Mentality December 28, 2011 - - As a student, it’s easy to fall into what I like to call the “bubble mentality.” We live within the “bubble” of our academic lives, which revolve around academic work, while our social...
On Break & Graduation is Already in Sight December 23, 2011 - - With exams leading up to the break, I spent a full few days studying. One of the advantages of having such well prepared professors, though, is that the PowerPoint slide decks from all...
Reflections on the Halfway Point December 23, 2011 - - July 13, 2011: First Class of Summer Term 9 – 11:15 am: Business Communications 12:15 – 2:30 pm: Team Dynamics 2:45 – 5 pm: Accounting Fast forward 5 months … December 13, 2011:...
Christmas Wish List December 22, 2011 - - Since a couple other bloggers made a wish list, I figured that I should make one, too. Just for fun! The new Nokia Lumia 800 A black iPod classic A car (Durham is...
My Holiday Wish List December 22, 2011 - - Since the holidays are here, I decided to put together a brief wish list for the season, from a student’s perspective. Here goes: Job – Number one on the list. This is one...
I’m Off to London! December 20, 2011 - - Looking Forward to my “Winternship” MMS students get about a 4-week winter break. A lot of students use that time to do an internship. We call these “Winternships” … I found my Winternship...
The Social Side of MMS December 19, 2011 - - Many posts have covered the academic/professional side of the MMS program. It’s equally important to highlight the fact that Fuqua cares about balance, and encourages students to spend time with one another in...
Winter Break is a Time for … December 19, 2011 - - Despite the fact that everyone has been busy with interviews and looking for jobs, a portion of the class has not yet received a job offer. From what I’ve heard from classmates, I...
The End of Five Long Months December 15, 2011 - - Can’t Believe We’ve Come So Far Already I cannot believe how quickly the time has passed. Somehow it is December. I feel like it was only weeks ago that we were sitting in...
MMS Christmas Wish List December 13, 2011 - - So I know Santa Claus doesn’t exist, but that doesn’t mean I can’t wish for things for Christmas. As I thought about what I want for Christmas, I thought I’d get some input...
We’re Not in Undergrad Anymore December 9, 2011 - - Academics Move Quickly & Finals are Soon Upon Us “Finals are next week.” “Wait, didn’t we just have finals?” One important thing for incoming students to know about Fuqua is that finals are...
Peer to Peer: Real Talk December 9, 2011 - - In an earlier post, I spoke at length about the Volunteer Alumni Career Fellow (VACF) Program and the general supportiveness of Fuqua’s alumni. The deep pride alumni have for Fuqua strongly motivates them...
International Exposure December 8, 2011 - - Learning About Other Cultures is an Enriching Experience My undergraduate university, NC State, was a hub of international activity, due in part to the scientific and engineering resources available for research and development....
BB&T CEO Teaches Values-based Leadership December 7, 2011 - - We recently welcomed John A. Allison, former Chairman and CEO of BB&T Corporation, to campus. Hearing a speaker of Mr. Allison’s caliber is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Aspiring to build a career in financial...
Dinner with P&G Executives!?! December 5, 2011 - - Procter & Gamble is the world’s leading consumer packaged good (CPG) company and also one of the best places to start a marketing career in consumer goods. As a member of the MMS...
Got Questions? I Have Answers! December 2, 2011 - - As an Admissions Ambassador and a blogger, prospective students ask me a number of questions. I thought it might be helpful to share my answers with a larger audience, and I will post...
Interviewing Skills Improved by Alumni December 2, 2011 - - For me, the most beneficial aspect of the MMS program has been the VACF. Every MMS student is assigned to two Volunteer Alumni Career Fellows, or VACFs. These alumni help MMS students to...
A Business Leader’s Philosophy December 1, 2011 - - Former Bank President & CEO Shares Thoughts on Success John Allison, former president and Chief Executive Officer of BB&T Bank, came to speak to the MMS class this past Monday. Mr. Allison shared...
A Durham Thanksgiving November 30, 2011 - - Thanksgiving is a time for the celebration of family and experiences. This is no different for the Team Fuqua family. For international and domestic students who were unable to make it home during...
Thankful for a Break November 28, 2011 - - During my undergraduate work, Thanksgiving break was like the home stretch of the semester-long race. Classes were winding down, and when I went back to school I only had one week of class,...
Duke vs. UNC – The Rivalry November 28, 2011 - - This past weekend, the classic rivalry between Duke and UNC was reignited during Saturday’s football game. Devils fans were disappointed, unfortunately, with a hard-fought loss to the Tar Heels. Duke has been struggling...
Getting for The Giving — Thank You! November 24, 2011 - - The Thanksgiving Food Drive, jointly organized by the MMS Black Student Association and the Non-Profit Club, was a huge success. Everyone donated generously, filling several bins and in the end, requiring 2 full...
Volunteer Alumni Career Fellows (VACF) November 23, 2011 - - Volunteer Alumni Career Fellows (VACF) are MBA alumni who give MMS students advice on resumes, cover letters, interviews, and so forth. As a student, I was able to have three sessions with two...
Team Fuqua November 22, 2011 - - One of the most frequently heard phrases when you get here is ‘Team Fuqua.’ At first I thought, ‘Okay, so people here must work in teams a lot.’ But as I’m in my...
What are Case Studies? November 22, 2011 - - Okay so here’s a heads up for business school – and this applies to almost every business school – you will learn via the case method. I recently went to NC State to...
The End of Interviews — I Got a Job! November 21, 2011 - - I am pleased to share that I will be employed after graduating from the MMS program in May! Yesterday, I officially accepted a corporate strategy consulting position with Wells Fargo in Charlotte. I...
Team Challenges & Lessons November 21, 2011 - - One aspect of the MMS program that sets it far apart from undergraduate coursework is the emphasis that is placed on teamwork. In undergrad, I remember having a few classes that required a...
Our Great State November 21, 2011 - - There’s So Much to See in NC As a native North Carolinian and someone who has lived in Raleigh for most of my life, I feel that it’s my duty to tell people...
On-Campus Job Boosts Budget November 18, 2011 - - One of the issues on the minds of many students pursuing graduate studies is how to finance their education. Though many schools offer scholarships and loans as a form of support, these are...
Our Very Own Beauty November 17, 2011 - - The MMS program brings together students from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. The program represents students from over 20 countries, over 40 different undergraduate majors, and over 75 different undergraduate institutions. We...
Panelists Highlight Finance Opportunities November 16, 2011 - - This panel event focused on careers in the finance industry, from both a male and female perspective. The panel consisted of 6 members of the BlackRock Team, who discussed their experiences at the...
Finding Direction November 15, 2011 - - Career Coaches Take a Holistic Approach When I began my undergraduate study, I was floundering about what to do with my career. I am sad to say that by the time I graduated,...
Navigating Duke’s Campus November 15, 2011 - - Duke’s campus is extremely beautiful. When I’m throwing a Frisbee with my roommate, the gothic architecture makes us feel like we’re at Hogwarts. The greenery is incomparable. Not many universities have: An art...
Bloomberg Training November 14, 2011 - - Learning to Use the Same System that the Pros Use I mentioned in an earlier post that Fuqua’s Ford Library has several Bloomberg terminals where students can access financial data. Since Bloomberg terminals...
A Game at Cameron is a Special Experience November 12, 2011 - - Despite its academic qualifications, Duke is most known for basketball. I am a HUGE basketball fan, having played throughout high school. I also had the once-in-a-lifetime chance to help the Houston Rockets with...
“Mobile Wars” Provide Real-World Experience November 12, 2011 - - Ten MMS students just wrapped up two months’ worth of heavy tech research and debate. This year’s first Center for Technology, Entertainment and Media (CTEM) Case Competition was titled “MOBILE WARS: Google vs....
The Fashion & Luxury Goods Club November 11, 2011 - - If the Marketing Club is my professional club, the Fashion & Luxury Goods Club is my fun club (although it’s registered as a professional club, I consider the activities as more relaxing). The...
Getting for the Giving November 11, 2011 - - Student-sponsored Food Drive in Progress The MMS Black Student Association (BSA) and Non-Profit Club present the first ever Thanksgiving Food Drive! Much of our time in the MMS program is spent developing ourselves...
Learning About Social Sector Opportunities November 11, 2011 - - One of the MMS professional clubs, the Non-Profit Club, organized an information session last month that was focused on jobs within the social sector. I loved the fact that the speakers spoke about...
Networking: Informational Interviews November 10, 2011 - - I thought getting a job was simple. You send in your resume, get called in for an interview, and then get an offer if you’re lucky. Well, not really. Networking is a huge...
From One Season to Four: A Californian’s First November 9, 2011 - - As a native of San Francisco, who has really only experienced California ‘seasons’ (called fog in San Francisco, and sun in Los Angeles), I have to say that fall in North Carolina is...
Halloween Spectacular November 7, 2011 - - The Halloween party hosted by the MMS Culinary Connoisseurs Club was a success! Not only were the costumes impressive, but the food provided was some of the most creative I’ve seen. Two dishes...
The Exam Crunch November 5, 2011 - - An Emphasis on Learning We just returned from our week-long fall break, which was wonderfully relaxing after 12 weeks of class. As can be expected in any graduate program, exam time is a...
Once in a Lifetime Experience November 4, 2011 - - Being Coached by Former Duke Basketball Players I am a huge basketball fan, so I found the MMS Basketball Experience (part of team changeover) incredibly worthwhile largely because I recognized some of our...
Fuqua’s Ford Library: Rich with Helpful Resources November 4, 2011 - - Since beginning the MMS program a few months ago, I have spent quite a bit of time in Fuqua’s Ford Library. Most of my time in the library is spent studying, and I...
Innovative Talent at Fuqua Career Services November 3, 2011 - - In undergrad whenever I’d visit a career counselor, he or she would give me generic advice that wasn’t particularly helpful to my specific situation and goals: “Make a list of target companies and...
Speaking with a Top Business Exec November 2, 2011 - - CEO of Rio Tinto has Intimate Discussion with Students As mentioned in “Impressed by Speakers at Fuqua,” I really enjoy meeting with executives who come to campus. Today, we had a special speaker....
Lessons from the Court November 1, 2011 - - Applying Duke Basketball Principles to Team Fuqua “Team Fuqua” is a fundamental part of the MMS experience. Teams are where we study, complete projects, and often find our closest friends. Teams are first...
Trying to be Productive During Fall Break! October 28, 2011 - - Fall break was 6 days this year. It was October 20 – 25, and started the day after finals. A lot of students went back home, but as an international, it was a...
Interview Season in Full Gear October 28, 2011 - - I applied to the MMS program so I could get a leg up on competition for jobs. MMS students compete with undergraduates for positions. In addition, some companies specifically recruit MMS students for...
Club Life October 27, 2011 - - In my previous posts I’ve talked quite a bit about the academic and professional (aka job search) demands of the program, but not much about what there is to do within the Fuqua...
A Mini Tour of NC October 25, 2011 - - Last week was finally fall break!! Don’t get me wrong, Fuqua and the MMS program are a wonderful experience. I find myself learning and being challenged on a daily basis to test my...
Ambassador and Baker: My Roles at Fuqua October 24, 2011 - - When I first arrived at Fuqua I wanted to make sure that I was involved in activities outside of the classroom and my normal team gatherings. There are so many awesome clubs that get started...
Valuable Alumni Network October 18, 2011 - - Program Connects Alumni to Students to Build Job Search Skills One of Fuqua’s greatest resources are its alumni. I’ve had the opportunity to interact with a number of passionate and involved Fuqua alumni...
Duke Football Gives New Fans Hope October 18, 2011 - - I consider myself a new Blue Devil fan. To be honest, I grew up rooting against Duke in basketball. In fact, I used to equate the Blue Devils with the Yankees of baseball,...
Exclusive Learning Opportunities October 16, 2011 - - Events Provide Valuable Company, Industry Insight This past week, representatives from the southeastern banking firm BB&T visited Fuqua for an exclusive information session for MMS students. The presentation focused primarily on BB&T’s Leadership...
Why MMS is Right for Me October 14, 2011 - - The Master of Management Studies (MMS) is a unique program in that it’s designed to deliver a master’s level business education in less than a year. The concept of earning an advanced degree...
Learning to Analyze Advertising October 7, 2011 - - I’m a member of the MMS Marketing Club, which is doing an awesome job of holding events for students interested in pursuing a career in marketing and advertising. One event I loved was...
Crossing the Sectional Divide October 7, 2011 - - October 4th marked the first official MMS “cross-section lunch.” This created an opportunity for students in different sections to socialize with each other. This was an experience many students had not had since...
The American Dream? October 6, 2011 - - As the taxi I took from the airport drove away, I was left alone with my things at the entrance of the hotel I was staying at for the night in Durham. It...
Case Competition Sheds Light on Consulting October 4, 2011 - - As a member of the MMS Consulting Club, I took part in the Accenture Case Competition, in conjunction with the Masters in Engineering Management (MEM) Consulting Club. For the competition, MMS and MEM...
It’s Homecoming!!! September 28, 2011 - - The weekend of September 23rd marked homecoming at Duke University. The Blue Devil spirit was all around, and the team did an amazing job, beating Tulane 48 to 27. Go Blue Devils!! For...
A Brush with Olympic Excellence September 25, 2011 - - Deloitte is a major sponsor of the US Olympic Team, and they bring Olympic athletes to college campuses to speak to students. I had the pleasure of going to their event on September...
Impressed by Speakers at Fuqua September 21, 2011 - - The Duke MBA Finance Club put on its annual Finance Symposium, titled RESHAPING GLOBAL MARKETS: Embarking on a Path of Economic Recovery. All members of the Duke family were invited, and I participated...
Campout Crazies September 21, 2011 - - One of the storied traditions for graduate students at Duke University is a yearly event called Campout. It lasts for a weekend, usually in September, and the reason for it is to win...
My Journey to Duke September 19, 2011 - - There’s actually a really long and complicated story about how I ended up at Duke, so I’m going to keep it as concise as I can. I attended undergrad at Syracuse University in...
Business Gets Social September 18, 2011 - - In early September, Fuqua’s Center for Technology, Entertainment, and Media (CTEM) sponsored the First Annual Technology, Entertainment, and Media Deep Dive, focusing on the world of social media. The event explored the interaction...
Greetings! September 15, 2011 - - Hey everyone! So excited to have the opportunity to contribute to the Fuqua blog. I love writing and I’m really looking forward to sharing my Fuqua journey with you. I hope that my...
What I Found in the MMS Program September 15, 2011 - - When I was looking for a graduate program, I wanted one that would give me a strong return on investment, had strong name recognition, and would help lead me to a career I...
Why I Chose Duke September 12, 2011 - - I graduated from USC in 2010 and knew almost immediately that I wanted to go to graduate school. I spent a year working in Los Angeles, bouncing from a position with an entertainment...
A Little About Me September 9, 2011 - - I am originally from Raleigh, North Carolina, so I am not too far away from home here in Durham. I majored in English at N.C. State University. Outside of school I enjoy cooking,...