As many of you have now noticed, we’ve changed our MMS application essays a bit! We found that our essay questions did not allow you to really show us who you are, and quite often we read the same content over and over again because it’s what an applicant thought we wanted to hear. So this year we’ve thrown the traditional essay format out the window and are asking you to give us a list of your “25 Random Things.” Traditionally, whenever a new member joins the Admissions staff, we ask him/her to share their list of random things so we can begin to get to know each other. Similarly, we’re hoping to “break the ice” with our applicants for the MMS: Foundations of Business and MMS: Duke Kunshan University programs! We are NOT looking for a regurgitation of your resume. Instead, your 25 Random Things should list what you feel most defines you as a person — your quirks, fears, hopes, passions, etc.
To help you understand what we’re looking for, I’ll get you started with a sampling of my own 25 Random Things as well as a few from other members of our MMS Team! As always, feel free to contact us if you have questions about your essays or other parts of your application!
Some of My Random Things
- I have a TWIN! No, we are not identical (sorry to disappoint) but, despite this, we used to dress alike on the first day of classes each year through 5th grade.
- I’m a huge Duke basketball fan!! So much so that I drove a minivan with 6 other friends for 13 hours through the mountains to Indianapolis to watch our team bring home the 2010 National Championship.
- I’ve never drunk coffee.
- Upon our first visit to the dentist, the doctor noticed that I had an extra tooth in the same spot where my twin sister was missing a tooth … creepy!
- I absolutely love animals and have been an avid horseback rider for 16 years.
- I have 2 adopted kittens — Pumba and Linni — who have been caught more than once sleeping inside the dryer.
Steve Misuraca, Director of MMS: Foundations of Business Program
- I met the love of my life on Duke’s campus while we were undergrads. I truly believe the reason I love Duke so much is because I get to share it with her family. My wife’s dad graduated from Duke and between the 3 of us, we have 5 degrees from this special place!
- When I was taking a series of tests to determine whether I should enter Kindergarten a year early, I was asked to walk in a straight line. I walked it backwards.
- I have a picture of me and Coach K signed “To Steve, follow your heart.” This is something I live by every day.
- In the last year, I ran my first marathon (Detroit International Marathon), transitioned roles at Fuqua (Admissions to Programs), and had a little baby girl (Maddy Miz).
- I am an eternal optimist and forever see the positives in life, so while this year is amazing, I wholeheartedly believe next year will be better!
Miranda Young, MMS: Foundations of Business Program Manager
- I am from Newport Beach, California, or “The OC” as it is popularly known. Yes, I lived by the ocean and had a pool in my backyard, but I don’t like going to the beach or swimming.
- I have an identical twin sister. There is no obvious differentiating characteristic or feature between us. I say “we” and “our” a lot, simply out of habit. She also works at Duke.
- I picked up figure skating at age 18. After building up expertise in tennis, I took time after committing to college during senior year of high school to explore something new and fun and challenge myself. I still skate and love it!
- I was pictured in Harper’s Bazaar magazine as a child and in an ad for YogaWorks in college.
- My assigned state for a 5th grade project was North Carolina. I dressed up as Elizabeth Dole (wore a Duke T-shirt) and brought in Krispy Kreme doughnuts (which were hard to come by in California back in 1999). As fate would have it, I ended up going to Duke and now live in North Carolina!
Are you ready to apply?