Duke MMS Student Blog
25 Random Things: Are You the Next Piece of the Puzzle?
In my last post, I talked about Team Fuqua. Team Fuqua is what it is because of its people. Each person admitted into one of the MMS programs is an irreplaceable piece of the Team Fuqua puzzle. As applications begin to flood into the admissions office, the admissions committee is tasked with piecing together the puzzle for next year’s class. If my class is any indication, each student is carefully chosen, and brings a unique story and perspective to the program.
Are you the next piece of the puzzle?
This year’s MMS application (for both MMS: FOB and MMS: DKU programs) asks prospective students to provide a list of 25 random things to help the admissions committee to get to know you better (read more about it in this blog post from Cathy Johnson, Assistant Director of Admissions). This essay provides an opportunity to share a wide range of interests and insight into who you really are. So keeping that in mind, have FUN with it! What makes you different, unique, and interesting to be around? Consider this a personal, longer version of the David Letterman Show’s humorous top 10 lists.
Inspired by the new essay prompt, I compiled a list of 15 random things about myself, but be sure to write 25 for your own application essay. I hope this helps you to structure your response as you prepare your application.
- I want to fly jets and Blackhawk helicopters! I am currently working towards the pilot licenses and certifications needed to do so.
- I co-produced a documentary film which won entry into Durham’s Full Frame Film Festival. As a result, I was able to spend the weekend watching some of the world’s most entertaining documentary films, free of charge.
- I won 10 intramural competitions in undergrad at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Go Heels!) including underwater hockey, poker, NCAA basketball bracket selection, and soccer.
- I can’t whistle. For that matter, I can’t do anything that would qualify as a “superhuman” trick.
- I still have 2 baby teeth. According to the dentist, I’m stuck with them for life.
- I have an extra bone in my foot. My X-rays have been the subject of several anthropological studies. I am a freak of nature.
- I am a published poet. I also like to freestyle rap, but don’t ask me to battle. I can’t handle the pressure.
- My last name, Patron, is pronounced Pay-tron, as in Patron Saint. It is not pronounced Pa-trone, as in the tequila, unless, of course, we are hanging out at the local bar.
- I swam with dolphins in the Bahamas. I also grabbed a few lobsters. They are quicker than they look!
- Malcolm Gladwell is my favorite author. His style combines studies and stories to explain how the world works. I like that he has made social science cool for water cooler chatter. His books are perfect conversation starters. Start chatting with me and it won’t be long before Mr. Gladwell shows up. As a student-journalist, Gladwell is the kind of storyteller I hope to emulate.
- I come from a lineage of French royalty. My great grandfather was a Duke of France. I’m not sure what that makes me.
- I don’t think NASCAR is a sport. It is simply glorified speeding. Sorry Jimmie Johnson!
- Yosemite National Park is my favorite vacation spot in the United States. I have been there 5 times. Every time I visit, I find something new to admire, from secret hiking trails and fishing spots to the diverse wildlife and majestic rock faces. It’s the great outdoors at its finest.
- I participated in a Shamu show at SeaWorld. Having watched the recent CNN documentary film, Blackfish, I guess I’m lucky to be alive.
- If I could have lunch with any 5 people dead or alive, I would invite Leonardo da Vinci, Albert Einstein, Jesus Christ, Thomas Edison, and William Shakespeare. Each man changed the way we think about the world, life, and humanity. In the event that one of these men could not make it (I’m sure they’re busy guys), I would invite basketball great and fellow Tar Heel, Michael Jordan.