A recent trend in MBA applications has been to ask questions that allow schools to get a sense of the applicant beyond the application itself. Fuqua specifically prides itself in valuing characteristics that go beyond the statistics and letters of recommendation: things that make you a leader with a diverse background and experiences, and unique potential waiting to be unleashed.
This year’s MMS application just went live and the “25 Random Things” question that has tended to throw off a lot of people remained a part of it. Applicants simply aren’t sure what to write about, especially after the energy-zapping experience of applying to business school. It’s important to remember that this is simply admissions’ opportunity to find out things about you that aren’t shown elsewhere in your application, but are still an important part of who you are and the person you will become. It’s an introspective and fun part of the application. Keep reading to see my take on it!
25 Random Things About Me
- I’m a Pakistani-American, and born and raised in California.
- I am the oldest of three siblings. As such, I am the most responsible (naturally).
- I love photography. Specifically, Polaroid photography. The nostalgia of pictures, and Polaroids, allows me to look back on what used to be. It stems from my fascination with history and studying how people used to live in previous time periods.
- I’m a crazy Disney fan. I love all things Disney: the parks, the movies, the songs, the characters. The magic. I actually know more Disney songs by heart than in any other genre!
- I hate shopping. ‘Nuff said.
- I am a dual citizen of the United States and Canada.
- I love to sketch, but I don’t do it nearly as often as I’d like.
- I am in love with Art History. I love studying people and how they used to live, and find it fascinating to study the past and examine how different it was from how we live today. I took an AP Art History class in high school, and my view of the world has changed ever since. Art can record the differences in perception, opinions, and society in ways that nothing else can; and yet, the human trials and emotions stay amazingly similar, no matter what era you lived in. I could go on forever!
- My youngest sister is 13 years younger than me. She’s like my baby.
- I have a YouTube Channel. I post my renditions of songs, usually singing with karaoke or with my ukulele. I don’t post regularly anymore, but every so often, I have an inspiration about a particular song, and that is my outlet to record and share my inspiration with the world. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/user/dsavvy891
- I love mimicking people/characters. My Stitch impression is not too shabby, if I may say so myself.
- I have a u-shaped scar on my chin. It wasn’t because of some crazy accident; I just tripped and hit my chin on the corner of my bed frame. I had to get 14 stitches and wait 2 years for it to properly heal. That experience transformed my outlook on life, and changed me from being more passive to being more active and outgoing in my choices. I see the world with a much wider lens than I did before.
- I was born into a very creative family. My parents both sing, and my father plays multiple instruments, so our childhoods were full of musical parties, karaoke shindigs, and sing-alongs. Jam sessions were always a family affair, and I remember falling asleep to the sounds of the guitar and piano. This has passed on to all of us kids. Music is in our genes, and it is a part of me that will always be there no matter what.
- I secretly wish I lived in a Jane Austin novel. “Pride and Prejudice,” anyone?
- I feel very strongly about having no regrets in life. Because of this, if I see an opportunity that I feel I might regret not taking, I make sure I do make the most of it. For me, regretting not doing something later in life (and thinking about all of the possibilities of what could have been) is much more painful than regretting doing something, because at least with the latter you aren’t left wondering “what-if.” As a result, I don’t have any more regrets, because every decision I have made has led me to where I am today.
- I am absolutely obsessed with Lord of the Rings. I tried to learn Elvish when I was thirteen, and actually dedicated hours and hours during weekends to decipher the script and learn how to write the language. I can still say a few phrases (I think!).
- I am a Star Wars and Harry Potter geek.
- Despite my outgoing demeanor, I am extremely shy and reserved.
- I am in love with to-do lists, and feel a rush after checking off each task.
- I get immensely happy when entering a grocery store. Can you tell I’m easily amused?
- I have a “dream wall” in my room. It is dedicated specifically to my goals, dreams, and aspirations. Things I hope to be. Things I am proud of. The letters D-R-E-A-M are made of the surgery folder I got when I scheduled the z-plasty surgery for my chin wound. When I realized that I actually loved my scar and did not want to change it, I cancelled my appointment, cut up the folder and started the wall. It reminds me of my strength and motivates me to be the best I can be.
- “Eye of the Tiger” is my go-to pump up song. My AP Calculus teacher, Mr. Alcosser, used to play it in class to get us motivated for the AP test. It gets me motivated every time!
- Hot Cheetos and Cheesecake are my weaknesses.
- I have a passion for bringing equality to this world. I can’t stand it when individuals aren’t given the respect, opportunities, and resources that we all, as humans, deserve. It is simply not acceptable to me.
- I got into a Fuqua because of an email. Read about it here.
So there you have it, folks! 25 random things about me. Don’t forget to tap into your inner self, share your unique story, and just have fun!