Sara standing beside one of her company's dumpsters with the logo on it and her jacket, managing an EMBA as a business owner Managing an EMBA Program as a Small Business Owner May 4, 2020 - - As anyone who runs their own business knows, entrepreneurship ain’t easy! Your business takes over every single thought in your head from morning till night when you rest your precious little head on the pillow.
A welcome sign from orientation for the Class of 2020; sharpen the axe Sharpen the Axe: Growing in the Weekend Executive MBA Program February 10, 2020 - - It's a management and leadership phrase we hear often in our daily careers. This phrase has a deeper meaning—to re-evaluate our learned approach and acquire new skills. A Duke MBA offers an opportunity to learn and expand one's knowledge in order to propel one's career growth.
Around 15 students pose for a photo, some holding humorous signs, outside an escape room facility; Reflections 6 Months into the Weekend Executive MBA Program My Reflections 6 Months into the Weekend Executive MBA Program January 29, 2020 - - Now that my admissions experience is in the rearview and my transition back to school is complete, I wanted to write about my experience in the Weekend Executive MBA Program at The Fuqua School of Business. Here are my reflections on the most relevant parts of the experience so far
the four students holding up a novelty check for $20,000 for placing second in the case competition that gave them a learning experience beyond the classroom A Priceless Experience Beyond the Classroom December 23, 2019 - - Fuqua students have the opportunity to participate in memorable extracurricular activities that build upon the coursework and leadership skills that we learn here. Case competitions are one such example
Jenny and Meredith, one of the CMC's career coaches, sitting in the JB Duke Hotel lobby Career Coaches Provide Invaluable Support November 20, 2019 - - Fuqua's Career Management Center (CMC) is comprised of a dedicated team that is known to be successful in guiding students toward career paths and matching them with potential employers
Nady posing beside the Fuqua sign; when is the right time to apply for an MBA When is the Right Time to Pursue an Executive MBA? October 16, 2019 - - What will it take for you to achieve your dream? This is a question I often ask myself whenever I encounter a mountain in life that I need to climb over
an auditorium full of Monish, Jill, and their classmates look on during their back to school orientation Transitioning Back to School for an MBA October 1, 2019 - - Ever wonder what it is like to transition back to school after a gap of several years since your undergraduate studies? Do you ever contemplate not pursuing graduate school because you think you can’t do it all
Five members of the consulting team posing for a group photo Our Consulting Project: Applying MBA Skills Outside the Classroom September 4, 2019 - - Earlier this year, I participated in the Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP), a hands-on, team-based consulting project
Kiera looking at Jiazi's laptop screen, part of life as a single parent in an MBA program Making it Work as a Single Parent Pursuing an MBA July 23, 2019 - - Is having a full-time job while getting an MBA difficult? Is being a single parent challenging? How about having a full-time job while getting an MBA and being a single parent all at the same time
Preshank posing beside the Fuqua sign; MBA reflections MBA Reflections: The Sky is the Limit June 11, 2019 - - I attended an open house and fell in love with the curriculum and warmth of the school community which motivated me to apply
five members of the career management center chat around a conference table How Our Career Management Center Works with Students May 8, 2019 - - In the Career Management Center (CMC), we know that each student’s career journey is different, including the reasons that led to the selection of the Weekend Executive MBA program. Therefore we offer a...
a dozen classmates in Duke and other athletic gear; executive MBA journey My Executive MBA Journey April 22, 2019 - - It’s amazing how life can change so quickly. A little over a year ago, I had started my application to the Weekend Executive MBA program, not thinking I had any chance of getting into Fuqua.
Jenny's family: she, her son and her husband post for a photo on the beach Life as an Executive MBA with a Young Family January 28, 2019 - - The primary reason holding me back from plunging into an executive MBA program earlier than I did was my son. Alex is seven years old and I am a physician with a full-time...
Marina with a dog during a hurricane relief supply run to Walgreen's Navigating a Category 4 Hurricane the Fuqua Way October 12, 2018 - - After what seemed like a furiously paced Term 1 during the summer and an even quicker term break, I was looking forward to going back to campus for the Term 2 residencies in...
more than a dozen Duke students in a group photo taken while meeting Warren Buffett Meeting Warren Buffett September 17, 2018 - - Looking back, it’s been almost a year since I, along with a 19 of my fellow students from across Fuqua’s graduate programs, traveled to Nebraska to attend the 2017 Q&A session hosted by the...
students sitting in a classroom during Hybrid Saturday classes, a new part of Fuqua's Weekend Executive MBA format Chasing My MBA Dream Across Time Zones June 11, 2018 - - Studying in a top-flight MBA program has been a lifelong dream of mine. After putting my plans on hold for several years due to personal reasons, I saw an opportunity to get started...
six students seated around a table, collaborating on work embodies the answer to "What is Team Fuqua?" What is Team Fuqua? April 9, 2018 - - Team Fuqua. It’s a term you constantly hear in our community. Ask for a definition and a hundred people will tell you a hundred stories to illustrate what it means to them. Synthesizing...
dozens of alumni, students, and admits gather at a bar for Fuqua Around the World, Engaging the Network at Fuqua Around the World March 21, 2018 - - I first attended Fuqua Around the World, the annual global networking and social event, back in 2016 when I was an admitted student. Although I had already made my decision to attend Fuqua,...
A faculty member addressing the class, accounting Overcoming My Fear of Accounting December 21, 2017 - - I was born on March 2, and so was Dr. Seuss. Naturally, I was destined for creative writing! It made sense to my undergrad college advisor, Dr. Burke. He was thrilled to have...
students in a classroom during the peer-to-peer learning session Peer-to-Peer Learning in the Program November 16, 2017 - - Have you ever been in a crisis? How did you respond? Our Weekend Executive MBA ’18 cohort has self-organized a few speaker panels throughout the program to afford fellow classmates an opportunity to...
Me and a fellow veteran holding a U.S. flag during their military experience What are the Program Benefits for a Veteran and How Will I Fit In? October 27, 2017 - - Why Fuqua and Why the Weekend Executive MBA? As I was poised to leave active duty, I wanted to stack the deck in my favor. The goal was to ensure that the civilian...
prospective students watch a presentation by an Admissions officer You Have Questions, Admissions Has Answers September 22, 2017 - - In my initial conversation with prospective students, often the last question they ask me is, “What have I not asked that I should be asking?” The truth is, there are probably endless things to...
Dan McCleary, director of admissions for executive MBA programs at desk Hey, What’s Up with the (*)? September 18, 2017 - - If you have landed here you are probably interested in learning more about how you pursue an MBA while keeping a full-time job. You are likely also interested in what those options look...
the winning team with their prize check from the competition Taking Home the Top Prize at UCLA’s Inaugural Credit Competition August 21, 2017 - - Getting Started Our road to success started this past January, when Craig was reading the weekly newsletter from Fuqua’s Asset Management Club and saw an announcement for a high-yield credit competition hosted by...
free weights and treadmills in the JB Duke Hotel fitness room, used by Run Fuqua What is Run Fuqua? August 9, 2017 - - Or better yet, who?  Run Fuqua is a group of Weekend Executive MBA ’18 students that have come together to simultaneously push one another physically and mentally. The group was founded a few...
supporting your partner's MBA What to Expect as a Spouse of a Duke Executive MBA Candidate June 12, 2017 - - So, your partner is starting his or her Weekend Executive MBA (WEMBA) at Duke. How awesome is that? Congrats! Now what does that mean for you? Well, first thing’s first. Kiss normalcy goodbye...
the 4 team members in suits after the case competition presentation How We Won the Inaugural Case Competition February 2, 2017 - - The real question was—how much more could we fit into our schedule? When we were informed about an Accenture-sponsored case competition for our Weekend Executive MBA class, a lot of excitement was generated around the...
dozens of students sitting in the stands at a basketball game in Cameron Indoor Stadium, a scene unique to the MBA experience at Duke Looking Back on My MBA Experience January 3, 2017 - - Embracing Diversity Having worked in a global corporation for nearly a decade, I thought I understood diversity. In fact, at one point I was a “Diversity and Inclusion Award” winner. I earned that by...
WEMBA class orientation in Geneen Auditorium Why I Chose Duke’s Executive MBA Over Full-Time Programs December 2, 2016 - - At some of the world’s top business schools, the average age of incoming full-time students is approximately 27. Many decide to go back to school after realizing that in order to grow their...
Duke Fuqua Weekend Executive MBA students visit Sovlay as part of their Operations Management course Seeing Operations Management Concepts in Action October 24, 2016 - - Sitting in Operations Management class during Term 3 of my Weekend Executive MBA program at Duke, it became apparent to me that many of my classmates had never seen an actual manufacturing plant...
WEMBA students participate in team building Invest in Yourself September 23, 2016 - - Have you been struck from out of the blue? Well I have. One fine day in January 2014, I was contemplating my future and suddenly a thought struck me. I realized that I...
Lunch with classmates - part of going back to college Going Back to College: No More ‘Exam Fever’ August 2, 2016 - - I’m at the same age as the average person in our class, which means I have been out of school for about 15 years. That’s a long time. The two things I specifically remember...
Taking a break from our academic travels at Copacabana beach Traveling to Brazil for a New Perspective April 15, 2016 - - When deciding whether to add a Global Academic Travel Experience (GATE) to my coursework at Duke, I wasn’t sure if I would find value in the trip. I went back and forth, but...
Sri Krishnan, Weekend Executive '15 and his co-pilot, an admitted student, pilot a jet during pregame festivities at a Carolina Panthers NFL game - researching MBAs Conversations that Make an Impact April 11, 2016 - - When I signed on the dotted line to fly fast jets, I thought the next 10 years of my professional life were spoken for and I wouldn’t have time for anything outside of work....
MBA classmates at a networking event The Value of a Career Networking Event March 11, 2016 - - While reviewing the calendar of events during our elective term, I asked “what day is it again?” because our schedule was so packed! Realizing that the Experienced Hire Networking Event was the next...
Shaking Dean Bill Boulding's hand at our graduation commencement, from my reflections as Fuqua alumna Reflections as a Fuqua Alumna February 26, 2016 - - As students both young and old headed back to the classroom this past fall, it became extremely apparent to me that I was no longer one of them. No more evening reading. No more...
Students register for HSM Bootcamp, a health care management course taught to Duke MBA students at Fuqua Bootcamp: The Essentials of Health Care Management December 29, 2015 - - It was late afternoon on a Friday, but I was feeling energized—and for once it wasn’t because the weekend was coming! I had just spent the past week at Fuqua attending the Health...
HSM graduation Benefits of the Health Sector Management Program October 13, 2015 - - Prior to my MBA, I had been a practicing physician for 15 years, with some experience in medical group as well as hospital administrative leadership duties. However, when I decided to pursue a role that focused...
Breeden Hall at Duke University's Fuqua School of Business where Mike Dennis is enrolled in the Weekend Executive MBA program Why I Chose Duke’s Weekend Executive MBA Program October 2, 2015 - - Earning my MBA from an elite university has always been a goal of mine, but I found it difficult to leave a fulfilling career and my personal obligations in order to return to...
Students talking with their professor - Executive MBA electives at Duke's Fuqua School of Business My Executive MBA Electives and Why I Chose Them September 16, 2015 - - It’s already time for our electives, which means we are approaching our final term, aka ‘Super Term.’ This sixth term in the Weekend Executive MBA (WEMBA) program gives you a chance to choose...
Fuqua Weekend MBA students graduating as part of the Duke network What’s this ‘Amazing Duke Network’ I Keep Hearing About? August 11, 2015 - - Rather than just spout out a bunch of rhetoric about statistics and impressive data around the Duke network (which I am sure are staggering and inspiring and all that jazz), I’ll just spell...
With my classmates. Duke Fuqua Weekend Executive MBA students including physicians Jennifer and Stephanie Benefits of The Duke MBA for Physicians July 7, 2015 - - I’m a physician and have been on faculty at Duke University going on six years as an endocrinologist who specializes in thyroid diseases. For the last two years, I have been the vice...
Duke Fuqua Weekend Executive MBA students at a multi-class happy hour Maximizing Value from the Weekend Executive MBA June 3, 2015 - - Wow, we are in Term 4 already and excited about the coveted graduation which is now in sight. A little insight for those of you who might join future Weekend Executive MBA classes—this...
Duke's Weekend MBA Students during Partner Weekend Surviving Through Term 3! May 7, 2015 - - I’ve survived Term 3, which means I’m half-way through the Weekend Executive MBA (WEMBA) journey. In the Term 2 and 3 courses, I have not only learned about the detail orientation needed to...
Fuqua Professor John Coleman Students, Faculty or Staff—Who is Better? April 9, 2015 - - We go through various life experiences. Some are small, such as dining in a restaurant, and some are big (and life-changing) such as an MBA from Fuqua. An MBA from Fuqua—apart from providing...
The Duke Start-Up Challenge Bringing Great Ideas to Life February 27, 2015 - - As Managing Director of Fuqua’s Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (CEI), I work with students or alumni, to help with their startups. I assist in leveraging Duke’s amazing network, whether they be investors,...
Group photo of WEMBA graduates Everyone’s Career Path is Different January 21, 2015 - - Our Weekend Executive MBA class is a diverse group. We’re from all over the country, work in many different industries and had different reasons for joining the Fuqua community. We also had varying...
Exploring Duke campus with my team during a scavenger hunt at orientation I Made It! December 29, 2014 - - April 2013: Phew!! The GMAT is finally over. September 2013: Oh God, the GMAT is easier than the application process. November 2013: I had an exciting first meeting with an admissions counselor. Early...
students getting to know each other during orientation Get Out of Your Bubble! December 11, 2014 - - “We live in our own bubble.” As we gain work experience, we constantly create a bubble of networks and expertise. If we stay in this bubble, we are at risk of restricting our...
My classmates have become the core group of my Fuqua network Leveraging MBA Networking Opportunities November 4, 2014 - - While important lessons are learned inside the classroom walls at Fuqua, a significant portion of an MBA’s value comes from the people who walk through the door each day. Gaining access to the...
group photo of students on a GATE trip to China GATE: What an Amazing Experience October 31, 2014 - - by Horatio Jones, IV, Weekend Executive MBA ’13. Learning about the Global Academic Travel Experience (GATE) is part of what excited me about Duke’s Weekend Executive MBA program. After hearing the experiences of...
Support from my team was crucial to help ease my transition at work My Mid-MBA Career Transition October 15, 2014 - - Undertaking a Duke MBA while working full-time is a serious commitment in itself, but over the course of the 20 months you’re in the program…life still happens! Many of my classmates had children...
Fuqua's admission staff Contact Admissions for Guidance October 3, 2014 - - Originally from Florida, I made the move to North Carolina over the summer to join Fuqua’s Admissions staff. Like many of you, I was looking to be part of something bigger. What I...
Students and partners at the blackjack table Highlights from Partners Weekend August 12, 2014 - - Anyone who has experienced Team Fuqua through a day on campus realizes that getting your MBA in the Weekend program is not an individual accomplishment. Some of the most important team members often...
Duke & Fuqua's Weekend Executive MBA students at graduation Further Reflections on the Impact of the Weekend Executive MBA July 15, 2014 - - I provided an update earlier about how I balanced work, life and family while in the program and how it impacted me and facilitated a major career change after I graduated. Here are...
Concentration March 22, 2014 - - In the Weekend Executive MBA program, concentrations are optional. Two classes for the concentration are taken during the final, required term (Term 6), and then the remaining requirement of a final project is...
Dean Boulding congratuling student at graduation Personal and Professional Lessons from my MBA March 19, 2014 - - I believe there are definite advantages to being a Weekend Executive MBA student—from both a personal and professional perspective—and the program format encourages us to learn soft skills and hard skills. Some specific...
Students enjoying lunch at the JB duke Dining Room Free Lunch with a Side of Honest MBA Insight February 26, 2014 - - Maybe it’s just me, but even though I’m a Director at a Fortune 50 company, I’m still a sucker for a free lunch. Based on that, it probably won’t come as much of...
executive speaker Forming Your Professional Playbook: Advice from an Industry Leader February 5, 2014 - - While most of us at Fuqua, myself included, have long ago given up on our dreams of playing professional sports, I have to admit that when I had the opportunity to hear from...
Finding Focus for What’s Important January 31, 2014 - - My brilliant reality is that most of my food these days comes from a bag. The paper Starbucks sleeve that holds my breakfast sandwich, the tote of Chipotle for lunch, and the measly...
Nothing Stays the Same, Not Even in an MBA Program: Being Flexible & Trusting your Judgment are Keys to Success January 23, 2014 - - If you are applying to business schools right now, you’ve probably written essays or spoken in interviews with some confidence about exactly why you want an MBA and what you plan to do...
Impact and Advantages of the Weekend Executive MBA January 14, 2014 - - I’ve been reflecting on my MBA experience, and thought it might be time for an update on me and how the MBA impacted me — for one thing, I made a huge career...
Final Set of Finals in the Weekend MBA Program December 10, 2013 - - It’s been more than 2 months since I was last in Durham for the Super Term (read about it in my previous post), and now I am only a few days away from...
Make It or Break It: Team Dynamics November 18, 2013 - - There are few industries left where the norm is working independently. In fact, it is hard for me to even think of one off hand … yep, not coming up with much beyond...
New Ventures 101: Entrepreneurship is About Taking a Risk October 15, 2013 - - It has been 9 months since I submitted a final paper for my entrepreneurship concentration. Since then, I have scratched out the beginnings of a new venture. The initial team included Daytime MBA...
Fuqua MBA Admissions Counselors are Here to Help October 7, 2013 - - By Andy Medlin, former Weekend Executive MBA admissions counselor. Hello from Admissions! As the Weekend Executive MBA Admissions Counselor, I assist prospective students through the stages of their research and application process. At...
A Super Term October 1, 2013 - - As part of the Weekend Executive MBA Class of 2013, my classmates and I are used to a 36-hour whirlwind that happens every other weekend where we: arrive, take a full day of...
The Power of the Duke Network August 15, 2013 - - MBA & Team Fuqua Enable Career Change When I joined the Duke Weekend Executive MBA class in 2006, I was a United States Air Force fighter pilot and Director of Force Application Capabilities,...
The Fuqua Kind of Friday August 6, 2013 - - I am no stranger to Fridays! After a grueling week, most people I know like to kick back and relax; some may even crack a smile. But this was different — never had...
Creature Comforts of Being a Student Again July 25, 2013 - - So the free Fuqua bag is awesome. I’m not kidding, I don’t typically like anyone buying anything for me because I am rather selective in my tastes, but this bag is almost worth...
“Team Fuqua” is Not Just a Slogan July 5, 2013 - - As a prospective student, I was very aware of the tension inherent in the relationship between prospective students and their prospective schools. Just like with job interviewing or dating, each party is trying...
Ready for China June 27, 2013 - - July 2nd has been circled on my calendar for quite some time. Why you ask? Not because it is the day after my last day of finals for Term 4, but it’s because...
My MBA Becomes Real June 21, 2013 - - On the night before the first day of orientation, after frantically packing half my closet into a suitcase and driving for three and a half hours through the rain from Charlottesville, Virginia, I...
First MBA Encounter is Better than Expected June 17, 2013 - - I’m not your typical MBA student. I’m a marketer, a communicator, a feeler, a rebellious leader and an entrepreneur. I definitely don’t have a background in finance, accounting, logistics, operations or anything else...
MBA and Work-Life Balance: Not-So-Strange Bedfellows! June 6, 2013 - - When I started my MBA journey, I believed that work-life balance was an impossible phenomenon. How could it be accomplished? I had a full-time, demanding job, plus a toddler analogous to an energizer...
Oh, the Places You’ll Go (with your textbooks) May 24, 2013 - - When Term 1 started a year ago, I had a plan — a study plan. It was complete with a fancy calendar, freshly purchased from Staples. This “plan” outlined which days I would...
Distinguished Speakers Provide Food for Thought May 16, 2013 - - I generally share my weekday morning train rides to New York City with my fellow neighbors, and a few co-workers. We have our daily discussions and our early morning sleepy and disoriented brains...
My Residency Initiation April 23, 2013 - - As I drove down I-85, on the first of many trips (I have now logged 6,000+ miles), I didn’t quite know what to expect of my first Weekend Executive residency. I had so...
A Day in My Life April 2, 2013 - - For those of you who are considering the Weekend Executive MBA program, one of your biggest concerns is probably about how the program will fit into the rest of your life. You probably...
My Journey to Fuqua March 12, 2013 - - A Day in Fall 2011: While working on a project at a large distributor’s Global Headquarters in fall 2011, a Vice President of Logistics and Supply Chain approached my desk to discuss an...
Doing Something that Changes Everything March 6, 2013 - - There’s nothing like writing your first blog post from the side of the highway, while waiting for a tow truck! Going back to school teaches you to make the most of any opportunity....
Dealing with Whatever Life Throws at You February 26, 2013 - - One of the recurring themes in these blog posts is time management, and another is that life goes on while you’re in school. A very large number of my classmates have experienced at...
Duke Fuqua School of Business Dean Bill Boulding with several Daytime MBA students Tailgating with the Dean February 22, 2013 - - Recently, I had the opportunity to attend an event called “Tailgating with the Dean.” My experience was quite different from what most would consider tailgating — hanging out with friends huddled around a...
The Right Time for an MBA February 18, 2013 - - Like most who are seriously thinking about pursuing an MBA, the three biggest questions I asked myself as I researched MBA programs were: What value will an MBA provide? Which program is right...
Looking Back, After a Long Haul February 6, 2013 - - I turned in my last paper on December 16, and I officially graduate on May 11 of this year. I now occupy the time between official completion and the time when I celebrate...
Looking Back at the Last 2 Years February 4, 2013 - - Two years. Life has brought such a huge amount of change in such a short time. In two years, I have gone from applying to different schools, and trying to decide which schools...
Where has the Time Gone? January 30, 2013 - - A little over 7 months ago, I started the Weekend Executive program and was training my mind to reenter the world of academia. Like many of you, it had been many years since...
Fully Adjusted: It’s Possible! January 10, 2013 - - After 10 years away from college life, it took a while to adjust to being in the classroom again. In addition, my family moved into a new home, and my son turned 2...
Motivation 101 December 7, 2012 - - Motivation — it’s a challenge. Some days it’s more of a challenge than others. Today is one of those days. I decided I’d rather write a blog post about it than write the...
The Final Countdown November 29, 2012 - - As we enter the month of December, the final countdown until the end of the term has begun in earnest. One classmate set up a webpage counter, and another’s wife set up this...
An Ode to Studying October 29, 2012 - - I have studied at a desk. With a pest (named Booger). I have studied on a plane, on a bus, and on a train, And on a boat, but not with a goat...
The Softer Side of Fuqua October 26, 2012 - - There’s no doubt that Weekend Executive MBA (WEMBA) students rigorously study, absorb and ultimately, master, the quantitative aspects of the program. Early on the emphasis is geared toward accounting, finance, statistics and the...
4 Classes, 4 Teams October 17, 2012 - - In Term 6, also known as the “Super Term,” we took 4 classes, and it was possible to end up on 4 entirely different teams for each class. The Cross Continent students and...
group of student The Social Side of Super Term October 11, 2012 - - Super Term, a 2-week residency on campus, kicked off with a meeting of the Weekend Executive and Cross Continent MBA classes of 2012. During the joint term, the two groups bonded and elected...
Super Term! September 19, 2012 - - The past few weeks have been nice—the calm before the storm—before Term 6, the final term. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It might even be graduation, instead...
Testing, Testing … 1, 2, 3 August 30, 2012 - - The office was searing hot. It was 5 pm in the afternoon on a Sunday. The temperature in Cambridge, MA, was approaching 90 degrees and the owners of 5 Cambridge Center chose to...
Leadership is About Caring, Influencing & Inspiring August 21, 2012 - - Leadership isn’t about checking boxes, manipulating people, and being self-serving. My leadership classes at Duke have taught me that it’s about caring about others; influencing and inspiring others to care about a cause,...
If I Can Do It, You Can Do It August 7, 2012 - - I have a confession to make. I’m not Superwoman. Yes, I know: four kids, full time job, and getting my MBA from Duke. I’ve heard it all—I must be crazy, it’s impossible, I...
Leaving on a Jet Plane … August 1, 2012 - - Last Thursday my mind turned to what I had to get done before leaving for Durham: I looked through my “Duke Travel” folder in Yahoo mail, which helps me to stay organized. I...
Moving Through the Program–Literally July 20, 2012 - - It has been a hectic month! I moved two weeks ago, during our Term 4 final exam period, from NC to NJ. I’m still commuting back and forth to NC for work. At...
I’m a Believer! July 6, 2012 - - MBA is Transformational Life has changed a lot in the last year. Since starting the Weekend Executive MBA program just under a year ago, I’ve learned so much, gained so much, and have...
Managing Significant Life Events June 21, 2012 - - Newly matriculated Weekend Executive students  are advised during the initial residency that missing a weekend for personal reasons is not an option. Rightfully so, as weekend residencies are tremendously integral to achieving the...
The Weekend Format Works for Me June 13, 2012 - - When I started looking at business schools, I discovered that there are a lot of different formats—weeknights, weekends, extended trips away, daytime, and more. I realized quickly that I’d have to prioritize my...
Resetting Expectations with My New Team June 8, 2012 - - I sat nervously at the head of a long conference table as my direct reports filed into the room. We were in the largest room in the building and my group almost filled...
Program Prep & Tools June 5, 2012 - - I was recently talking to someone about the tools (calculators, PC, etc.) I needed for the MBA, and what I needed to study in advance. With the new Weekend Executive MBA class starting...
Career Crunch Time May 31, 2012 - - I came to Fuqua intent on making a career transition … but then the program began and I quickly let schoolwork, socializing with classmates, and my work/family responsibilities take precedent. Now, however, it’s...
Why (and How) I Chose Fuqua May 23, 2012 - - There are many programs out there to choose from, and one of the hardest decisions is picking which schools to research, visit, and apply to. In North Carolina’s Triangle area alone, there are...
Staying Fit in Any Time Zone, Any Place May 17, 2012 - - The demands of pursuing a Duke MBA are many. Balancing school, family and recreational activities is no easy task. In fact, balancing the demands and managing your time requires sacrificing activities you once...
Girl Scout Cookies Don’t Stop For School May 11, 2012 - - For me, one of the biggest challenges of getting an MBA is that life just doesn’t stop while I’m in school. One of my busiest times each year is Girl Scout Cookie season....
Unforeseen Benefits May 2, 2012 - - About this time last year I was eagerly awaiting the start of my Weekend Executive MBA journey. A significant part of my excitement and anticipation involved not knowing what to expect and whether...
Taking the Plunge May 2, 2012 - - You might be wondering about how I got here … well, I’ve always had dreams of owning my own company, or working my way up the management chain. But, the path toward getting...
Life, Love and the Pursuit of Craziness May 2, 2012 - - After my class finished Term 3 finals, I used this blog as yet another reason to procrastinate on my all-out attack of the 20-pound FedEx box containing my Term 4 pre-reading! You see,...
Why I Chose Fuqua May 2, 2012 - - I Already Have a Job … I look at my watch. It’s 5 o’clock and I still have a mountain of work to do this week. My mind is furiously sorting through what...